The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Student Accommodation in Swansea

Hi, I recently got an offer for an LLM in International Commercial and Maritime law at Swansea. I’m considering all my accommodation options before I make a decision, so I’d appreciate any advice as to the best accommodation options available at Swansea.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I recently got an offer for an LLM in International Commercial and Maritime law at Swansea. I’m considering all my accommodation options before I make a decision, so I’d appreciate any advice as to the best accommodation options available at Swansea.

Thanks

Hey!

Firstly, massive congratulations on your offer to study with us here at Swansea! We can't wait to welcome you to our vibrant and friendly student community when you start your course.

In terms of accommodation, Swansea has lots of options! These can all be accessed looking at our website. Whether you want to live on Campus (on either Bay or Singleton), in postgraduate halls like Ty Beck, or in private residences in the city centre such as Seren and True Living, Swansea will have an option that suits you. There are quiet flats, non-alcoholic flats, flats for Welsh speakers, flats for mature students and for those with disabilites, to name just a few of the circumstances Swansea caters for.

My best advice would be to think about the practicality of each of these options in terms of proximity to lectures and to town, to consider the price and to see which style of accommodation might suit you best.

In terms of me personally, I lived on Bay Campus back in my first year, despite studying on Singleton Campus. I enjoyed the commute in the mornings to get me a little bit more awake before starting lectures and it was beautiful to travel into uni past the stunning views of Swansea Bay Beach each morning. I personally preferred the style of the Bay Campus accommodation to Singleton Campus, which is why I chose it. There are good bus links between campuses, and between the private residences into the campuses also, so travelling between sites should never be too much of an issue.

If you can, I'd recommend coming to one of our Open Days to check out the accommodation further and try and make a choice. Sometimes it can be good to get a feel for the place you are going to choose by seeing it before choosing it. If that's not possible, the website (as linked above) has great virtual tours which could help you decide.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hope Henry - Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine and Swansea Student Ambassador.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Swansea Students
Hey!
Firstly, massive congratulations on your offer to study with us here at Swansea! We can't wait to welcome you to our vibrant and friendly student community when you start your course.
In terms of accommodation, Swansea has lots of options! These can all be accessed looking at our website. Whether you want to live on Campus (on either Bay or Singleton), in postgraduate halls like Ty Beck, or in private residences in the city centre such as Seren and True Living, Swansea will have an option that suits you. There are quiet flats, non-alcoholic flats, flats for Welsh speakers, flats for mature students and for those with disabilites, to name just a few of the circumstances Swansea caters for.
My best advice would be to think about the practicality of each of these options in terms of proximity to lectures and to town, to consider the price and to see which style of accommodation might suit you best.
In terms of me personally, I lived on Bay Campus back in my first year, despite studying on Singleton Campus. I enjoyed the commute in the mornings to get me a little bit more awake before starting lectures and it was beautiful to travel into uni past the stunning views of Swansea Bay Beach each morning. I personally preferred the style of the Bay Campus accommodation to Singleton Campus, which is why I chose it. There are good bus links between campuses, and between the private residences into the campuses also, so travelling between sites should never be too much of an issue.
If you can, I'd recommend coming to one of our Open Days to check out the accommodation further and try and make a choice. Sometimes it can be good to get a feel for the place you are going to choose by seeing it before choosing it. If that's not possible, the website (as linked above) has great virtual tours which could help you decide.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hope Henry - Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine and Swansea Student Ambassador.
Hi Henry, how much does it cost for you to travel from Bay campus to the Medical School and would you say there were delays in the morning during your bus journey? I'll be medical student soon too and I wondered whether I need to wake up earlier than I should to account for traffic etc...

I have another question - how easy is to find studio/one-bedroom apartments in Upland, Sketty and Brynmill on the StudentPad. I've looked around but I haven't found properties like this at all!

Thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi Henry, how much does it cost for you to travel from Bay campus to the Medical School and would you say there were delays in the morning during your bus journey? I'll be medical student soon too and I wondered whether I need to wake up earlier than I should to account for traffic etc...
I have another question - how easy is to find studio/one-bedroom apartments in Upland, Sketty and Brynmill on the StudentPad. I've looked around but I haven't found properties like this at all!
Thank you so much!

Hi! So I lived on Bay Campus in the first year of my Undergraduate Degree of Applied Medical Sciences, and travelled between Bay and Singleton daily. There are two main options with regards to paying for travel costs; you can get a bus pass with the university which can be paid termly or in a lump sum, or just pay for student day tickets. When I used to get the bus, student day tickets were around £3.50, but that was for a whole day, regardless of how many bus journeys that consisted of. More information about bus passes can be found on the following link.

In terms of delays, I wouldn't say there were many, and the bus schedule usually ran to time. I always got the bus before the latest bus I could get to definitely be there on time, as sometimes unavoidable things like rush hour can crop up.

I don't have any experience with StudentPad, sorry! But, often students approach local estate agents to find properties, and I know lots of people that have lived in studios/one-bedroom apartments. As part of the induction for Graduate Entry Medicine, we also have an acccommodation booklet which showcases spare rooms/empty houses often owned by private landlords who have experience of letting to GEM students. There are many connections within GEM to private landlords, offering a variety of properties.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Hope.
Original post by Swansea Students
Hi! So I lived on Bay Campus in the first year of my Undergraduate Degree of Applied Medical Sciences, and travelled between Bay and Singleton daily. There are two main options with regards to paying for travel costs; you can get a bus pass with the university which can be paid termly or in a lump sum, or just pay for student day tickets. When I used to get the bus, student day tickets were around £3.50, but that was for a whole day, regardless of how many bus journeys that consisted of. More information about bus passes can be found on the following link.
In terms of delays, I wouldn't say there were many, and the bus schedule usually ran to time. I always got the bus before the latest bus I could get to definitely be there on time, as sometimes unavoidable things like rush hour can crop up.
I don't have any experience with StudentPad, sorry! But, often students approach local estate agents to find properties, and I know lots of people that have lived in studios/one-bedroom apartments. As part of the induction for Graduate Entry Medicine, we also have an acccommodation booklet which showcases spare rooms/empty houses often owned by private landlords who have experience of letting to GEM students. There are many connections within GEM to private landlords, offering a variety of properties.
Hope that helps!
Best wishes,
Hope.
Thank you so much Hope - I really appreciate it! (I'm sorry I got your name wrong the first time - I misread it)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thanks
Hi, I’m currently looking for a tenant replacement for my accommodation contract. It’s available from 1st of April to 7 of July and you can always extend the contract later on with the accommodation. It’s at St David's, Swansea - Ensuite Silver Plus - All bills included with free on-site amenities.
Suitable for UWSTD & Swansea University students
Bus stops right outside the accommodation (Campus to Campus buses)
Transport:
< 5min walk to the train station | Approximately 20min walk to Swansea bus station |Approximately 15min walk from the city centre
Nearby grocery stores (Parc Tâwe)
Does anyone know whether medical students need to go for the 51 week or 44 week tenancy agreement? I'm not aware of the exact start and end dates for 1st year medics.

Also, when you apply on the Swansea accommodation portal - what category are we? Is it 21+ mature undergraduates, post graduates or health science course. There isn't a category for medical students specifically...
Original post by Anonymous #2
Does anyone know whether medical students need to go for the 51 week or 44 week tenancy agreement? I'm not aware of the exact start and end dates for 1st year medics.
Also, when you apply on the Swansea accommodation portal - what category are we? Is it 21+ mature undergraduates, post graduates or health science course. There isn't a category for medical students specifically...
Hey!

I have always gone for the longer tenancy agreements, as in Graduate Entry Medicine our term dates are longer and holidays/breaks are shorter.

In terms of categories, it is technically an undergraduate degree on UCAS, so you'd technically fall under both 21+ mature undergraduates and post graduates also as you already have a degree before GEM. I would say have a think about which group would be most like minded to live with, and would personally tick the post graduate category.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest