The Student Room Group

Jobs

What if you are a new graduate and you are genuinely not good at your job? what happens? also if you move to another one and are still not good at that then what happens?
Original post by stmkcltrs
What if you are a new graduate and you are genuinely not good at your job? what happens? also if you move to another one and are still not good at that then what happens?
Too many variables to answer that question. It all depends on the industry, your role, the level of responsibilities, the company culture, your direct management, your drive for learning.

Personally, as a manager, I don't expect a fresh graduate to perform on the same level as an experienced worker, so I give them a lot of slack in their first month or two, and I try to provide with learning opportunities and connect them with people who they can learn from. I expect a graduate to begin adding tangible value by about sixths months into their role. It's also pretty easy to recognise if any of your subordinates struggle much earlier than 6 months into the role, so it's my responsibility to provide with all support that I can to help you perform well. If that doesn't happen then either I failed as a manager or you (the employee) is not interested in the job/role. Because why else would you be "not good at your job"?

If you recognise that you aren't performing well, that's actually a good sign. It means you understand the knowledge gap, the only thing remains now is to close that gap by learning about the subject in which you aren't comfortable yet. Ask for support from your colleagues, your direct manager, etc.

If with all the support etc you are still underperforming to such a degree that it sabotages the work efforts of others in the company and your team, then the logical next step is what's called a Performance Improvement Plan. Normally this is the last resort for the management to get you back on track. If that plan doesn't work then your role can be made redundant on the basis of not being able to perform to clearly defined goals and objectives.

If the same situation happens at a second company, then it's safe to assume it's a systematic problem with a common denominator being you. So you'll need to evaluate the reasons for why you are not performing ot the standard that are expected of you and then try to come up with a plan to resolve that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending