The Student Room Group

Views on Cambridge?

I'm from Cambridge. I was just curious what peoples views were on it, either living or visiting? Personally I feel it's not a friendly city for making new connections.
Cambridge is a beautiful city with lots of delicious cuisines available.
Terribly cold weather in the spring, autumn and winter.
Original post by mallowtopia
Cambridge is a beautiful city with lots of delicious cuisines available.
Terribly cold weather in the spring, autumn and winter.

Sure it's beautiful. I was thinking socially it's not so great though.
I'm also from Cambridge - specifically North Arbury/King's Hedges. Something people don't realise about Cam is that it's the most unequal city in the UK; I went to primary school in my local area and secondary school in a neighbouring village and the difference in where everyone ended up is insane. It was sort of jarring going from a sixth form (IB school) where everyone was noticeably posher than me to a modern uni in the midlands where everyone assumed I was posh because of my accent.

I agree that it can be isolating. I'm not in touch with any school friends anymore so I don't really have anyone to see when I go home outside of my family. There are a lot of people who work in tech etc in the city so if you're in that area you'll probably meet lots of likeminded people but considering how expensive it is to live there and how much more there is to do in other cities I wouldn't recommend it as a place to live for a new graduate. But if I were older and wanted to settle down somewhere I think I'd appreciate the place a lot more.
Original post by ArtisticScreech
I'm also from Cambridge - specifically North Arbury/King's Hedges. Something people don't realise about Cam is that it's the most unequal city in the UK; I went to primary school in my local area and secondary school in a neighbouring village and the difference in where everyone ended up is insane. It was sort of jarring going from a sixth form (IB school) where everyone was noticeably posher than me to a modern uni in the midlands where everyone assumed I was posh because of my accent.

I agree that it can be isolating. I'm not in touch with any school friends anymore so I don't really have anyone to see when I go home outside of my family. There are a lot of people who work in tech etc in the city so if you're in that area you'll probably meet lots of likeminded people but considering how expensive it is to live there and how much more there is to do in other cities I wouldn't recommend it as a place to live for a new graduate. But if I were older and wanted to settle down somewhere I think I'd appreciate the place a lot more.

Ah ok interesting. I ended up here because of my Dad's career. Went away to uni but came back as it didn't work out. The quality of life seems quite good and I have a place here but I wish I'd made my life further north. There's a coldness to the place in my experience. Cambridge is not good socially if you're not to do with the university. The locals are pretty cold and it's not like say Glasgow where you could strike up a conversation with someone so easily.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I'm from Cambridge. I was just curious what peoples views were on it, either living or visiting? Personally I feel it's not a friendly city for making new connections.

Small, fairly quiet (a bit boring) but a fantastic history with inspirational achievements.

One thing i will say is there are a lot of great people around, people who chose to work in an industry/field they are passionate about rather then work for the highest bidder (particularly in the research centres, SMEs and consultancies in the science park) this is refreshing and they make for motivating conversations.
Reply 6
Lovely place. Compact and full of history. I've made several trips over the last few years and the weekend market with the food stalls really made an impression. Lots of little nooks and crannies that invite you in to while the hours away. Full of students, not surprisingly. If I had my life to live over I'd try a damned sight harder to get into Cambridge. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through the kids and try and get them in 😀.
It's a beautiful place and visiting made me briefly regret not applying to the uni.
Amazing scenery and environment but not the best place socially
Reply 9
I visited as a tourist and its beauty lived up to expectations but it is a weird thing for such a dramatic looking place (it's like something from Italy) to also have such an unassuming rural market town (it was a town until the 1950s) feel. The people there (apart from those in the few public bars) seemed to have no buzz. A literal and metaphorical coldness perhaps but that's not unusual anywhere in the UK. I had reservations about Oxford too- tourists shouldn't expect too much from these places. They weren't designed as tourist destinations and Oxford in particular has its rough elements. By all means go for a day but don't expect anything like the scale or party spirit of Newcastle or Edinburgh.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Candybar2348
Amazing scenery and environment but not the best place socially

Interesting, what are your experiences? Can you elaborate?
Original post by Picnicl
I visited as a tourist and its beauty lived up to expectations but it is a weird thing for such a dramatic looking place (it's like something from Italy) to also have such an unassuming rural market town (it was a town until the 1950s) feel. The people there (apart from those in the few public bars) seemed to have no buzz. A literal and metaphorical coldness perhaps but that's not unusual anywhere in the UK. I had reservations about Oxford too- tourists shouldn't expect too much from these places. They weren't designed as tourist destinations and Oxford in particular has its rough elements. By all means go for a day but don't expect anything like the scale or party spirit of Newcastle or Edinburgh.

It's definitely cold in my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest