The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is it a bad idea to transfer to St Andrews in second year of uni?

St Andrews is my first choice uni but I am an international student and I have thought that its a good idea for me to attend a uni in my country for my first year in order to make connections and meet new people especially as I might move back at some point in the future (not directly after uni but perhaps to settle down). However I have heard that many of the traditions are for first-years and students meet majority of their friends in halls during first year. Considering this would I still enjoy the uni as much and make as many friends if I transfer during second year?
Will they even accept a transfer into second year? In the UK it's pretty uncommon for students to transfer into higher years of a degree. It's possible but not guaranteed. More typically if a student is changing university (even remaining in the same subject area) they will typically have to reapply to start again in first year.

In any event on the social side, you can participate in freshers events in any year of your degree. Lots of people participate in freshers every year of their course. It's just an excuse to go out and do social stuff really.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending