The Student Room Group

cross country

i’ve agreed to run cross country for my school, but i’ve never run distance before. I run 100m in roughly 14.8, but the one time i tried to run a 5k i got in around 28 minutes. I’m a 15 yr old girl, around 47kg, plays netball for county, any ideas what time i should hope to run 1.8km in?
Reply 1
Original post by Camari3mber
i’ve agreed to run cross country for my school, but i’ve never run distance before. I run 100m in roughly 14.8, but the one time i tried to run a 5k i got in around 28 minutes. I’m a 15 yr old girl, around 47kg, plays netball for county, any ideas what time i should hope to run 1.8km in?

So 1.8km or just over a mile then you should be trying to aim for around under 10 minutes but you need to perhaps try to do some training over this distance and see how you get on. You might be able to do it quicker than this time.

I use to do cross country at school and I just missed out getting picked for my national team. I did the 10k and 5km .
I am a keen long distance runner and I did a marathon in May over in my capital city and done this in four hours and firthteen minutes but I had more years experience on yourself. I am doing my own city half marathon in late October.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
So 1.8km or just over a mile then you should be trying to aim for around under 10 minutes but you need to perhaps try to do some training over this distance and see how you get on. You might be able to do it quicker than this time.

I use to do cross country at school and I just missed out getting picked for my national team. I did the 10k and 5km .
I am a keen long distance runner and I did a marathon in May over in my capital city and done this in four hours and firthteen minutes but I had more years experience on yourself. I am doing my own city half marathon in late October.

ok, thanks so much!! our first race is next week, so I’ll see how i get on then lol.
Reply 3
ok, thanks so much!! our first race is next week, so I’ll see how i get on then lol.

You are welcome 🤗

Just pace yourself out and hopefully you'll do well with the race..x
Reply 4
You are welcome 🤗

Just pace yourself out and hopefully you'll do well with the race..x.

turns out that it was 2.3k, and i ended up running it in 8:33 . i just paced and stuck with a group lol, thx for ur advice!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
turns out that it was 2.3k, and i ended up running it in 8:33 . i just paced and stuck with a group lol, thx for ur advice!

Thanks for letting me know about how you got on with your cross country running.

8.33 not bad for you especially if you haven't done it before. Bit of a difference between 5k and you only doing 2.3k.

That's good you just paced it at your own pace instead of trying to go for it and perhaps not finishing it, yeah it is sometimes better trying to stick to a group of people rather than big gaps between others as this way you got a chance to overtake them.

I'm just looking forward to Sunday morning for when I do my own city half marathon ( I'm looking for a time for completing it around 2 hours and 30 minutes or better, I'm not going to try and beat anyone as just pace myself around the course which I know almost very well as I normally run majority of the route when doing my running.

No worries about trying to help you 🙂🙂

Good luck with any others in the near future xx

you should aim for a 4.5 minute kilometre (13.3km/h)

Quick Reply

Latest