The Student Room Group

Questions about Foundation Medicine

I’m looking into foundation medicine. Can anyone assist me either from their own personal experience from current applications or previous applications. Thanks!
Reply 1
I’ve applied for foundation med this year, what is it you specifically want assistance regarding? Like grades, work experience etc
Original post by ddd222
I’ve applied for foundation med this year, what is it you specifically want assistance regarding? Like grades, work experience etc

Anything really. I only found out about it a few days ago so have been doing a lot of research. Have you received any offers and what unis did you apply to?
Original post by ddd222

And yes what would you say about work experience. I currently have had 2 days at my local hospital, I’ve had an online GP shadowing course, Ive had a job in a restaurant ( I can link this into medicine) and I’m due to be doing some volunteering soon and maybe some more hospital stuff if in summer
Reply 4
Original post by revadz9
Anything really. I only found out about it a few days ago so have been doing a lot of research. Have you received any offers and what unis did you apply to?
I found out about it same time roughly when I was in year 12, I decided it would be best to apply for it because my GCSE’s weren’t terrible but I felt like I would definitely be safer applying for foundation. I applied to Notts, Lincoln and keele all for that course and currently have only heard back from keele with a rejection unfortunatelyy
Reply 5
Original post by revadz9
And yes what would you say about work experience. I currently have had 2 days at my local hospital, I’ve had an online GP shadowing course, Ive had a job in a restaurant ( I can link this into medicine) and I’m due to be doing some volunteering soon and maybe some more hospital stuff if in summer
You’re definitely doing the right thing with all the work experience! Make sure you have a notepad with you whilst completing it and write down everything you think may benefit you and esp your personal statement as this is where you’re going to include information about this the most. Observe how the doctor communicates with patients and the role of other hospital staff eg nurses. Definitely try get more hospital exposure if possible in wards etc to see what firsthand experiences. And yes, you can definitely link that job to medicine I managed to do it with a dessert decorating job
Original post by ddd222
I found out about it same time roughly when I was in year 12, I decided it would be best to apply for it because my GCSE’s weren’t terrible but I felt like I would definitely be safer applying for foundation. I applied to Notts, Lincoln and keele all for that course and currently have only heard back from keele with a rejection unfortunatelyy

Yeh I’m in a similar position with GCSEs. Good luck with the rest of your University offers. Also what did you apply for the other 2 if you don’t mind.
Reply 7
Original post by revadz9
Yeh I’m in a similar position with GCSEs. Good luck with the rest of your University offers. Also what did you apply for the other 2 if you don’t mind.
Thank you and good luck to you too next year. My other 2 were biomed and biological sciences I got offers for both but would be more likely to do a gap year and reapply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending