The Student Room Group

Newcastle vs Cardiff for CS?

Hi,
I want to study computer science but I'm kind of struggling between which uni to firm. I know both are Russel groups but I'm not sure about the pros and cons.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by SignalWeevil05
Hi,
I want to study computer science but I'm kind of struggling between which uni to firm. I know both are Russel groups but I'm not sure about the pros and cons.

Which course do you prefer and do you have an option of a placement year, which would add a lot to your graduate CV?
Original post by normaw
Which course do you prefer and do you have an option of a placement year, which would add a lot to your graduate CV?
Newcastle is placement year and Cardiff is study abroad. Both are the same courses so I don’t really have a preference.
Newcastle is placement year and Cardiff is study abroad. Both are the same courses so I don’t really have a preference.

The courses won't be the exactly the same. Compare modules and optional modules for all years of the course and think about what you would choose.
Hi,
Hi! Computer science at Cardiff is a brilliant course :smile: I'll just assume you're already aware of some of pros of Cardiff from the course website ahah, so I'll add on a few things.

The course based in ABACWS, which is right on the center of the campus. It's actually one of the newest university buildings to date, being only finished building completing a couple years ago, so you'll be studying at a high quality institution. It has loads of study spaces and is genuinely just a really nice place to study :smile:

This site has some really useful statistics on where students end up, employability rates, and student satisfaction. But just to also say it here, students tend to really enjoy the course, with high percentages with how well the staff teaches etc. (You can also use this website to look up the stats on the Newcastle course if you wish!)

We also have a pretty decent careers service here in Cardiff. The careers staff are really on it and there's always opportunities being posted :smile:

If you wanted to chat to a student from the School of Computer Science and Informatics, I recommend having a look at this. They might be able to give you some really useful insights on studying here (as I am not a computer science student!)

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Ok thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending