The Student Room Group

Princess of wales reveals cancer diagnosis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barbu
Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Shame on the conspiracy theorists and the morons on TSR, you know who you are.

Cancer is too serious for any bad imputations. Poor to see that some people can't get this.
Kate rumours linked to Russian disinformation

I mean I’ve seen misinformation from Americans on TikTok 🤷🏾*♀️.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Kate rumours linked to Russian disinformation
I mean I’ve seen misinformation from Americans on TikTok 🤷🏾*♀️.

Thank you for this. At least you did not fall for the BS. I saw some UK tiktoks with misinformation. Yet, the lying media claimed it was Russia and China.
It's kinda ironic that the appearance of the pro-Kremlin brigade here practically confirm that the same group were behind some of the disinfo campaign. All very hand-wavey and "look over there!".

I found the BBC article interesting, noting that often targets are picked not for any specific goal, but just because they were a potentially diversive subject. You only need to see the comments section of local news sites, or the beeb's own "have your say" to see them sticking their oar in about really inane stuff.

As an aside, if I were being paid to troll a cancer diagnosis thread I would be asking some serious questions about my life.

Spoiler

Original post by Admit-One
It's kinda ironic that the appearance of the pro-Kremlin brigade here practically confirm that the same group were behind some of the disinfo campaign. All very hand-wavey and "look over there!".
I found the BBC article interesting, noting that often targets are picked not for any specific goal, but just because they were a potentially diversive subject. You only need to see the comments section of local news sites, or the beeb's own "have your say" to see them sticking their oar in about really inane stuff.
As an aside, if I were being paid to troll a cancer diagnosis thread I would be asking some serious questions about my life.

Spoiler

You are completely right. The comments and posts across social media have been disgusting. I have seen tiktoks from everywhere by individuals (including here in England) poking fun or attacking the Princess of Wales.

The sudden reaction that it was a Russia or China campaign was completely wrong and should not have been pushed by the press.
Original post by Wired_1800
Thank you for this. At least you did not fall for the BS. I saw some UK tiktoks with misinformation. Yet, the lying media claimed it was Russia and China.

I mean they could have gained that misinformation from Russia 🤷🏾*♀️.

All I’m saying is that I’ve seen lots of misinformation from Americans on TikTok so it might be worth mentioning (media companies and people in general mentioning) this if they haven’t already.
All I’m saying is that I’ve seen lots of misinformation from Americans on TikTok so it might be worth mentioning (media companies and people in general mentioning) this if they haven’t already.

Yes, i have seen silly comments from Americans esp celebs. Yet, we blamed Russia and China.
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, i have seen silly comments from Americans esp celebs. Yet, we blamed Russia and China.

I say both are to blame, but either way yeah people seem to have no respect.

I don’t like the royal family but people getting far fetched with these rumours and it feels like Kate was pushed into revealing her cancer at this stage.
I say both are to blame, but either way yeah people seem to have no respect.
I don’t like the royal family but people getting far fetched with these rumours and it feels like Kate was pushed into revealing her cancer at this stage.

I agree

Tbh I don't think it's some grand master plan from the Kremlin to push these conspiracies. I think primarily it's British media finding it too embarassing to admit we live in a generation where people are consistently bombarded with so much information that many people have lost the ability to critically discern what's legitimate and what's fake. Combine that with ever popular figures such as the royals and you get a toxic combination that's ripe for the picking by trolls, clickbait media, and probably the odd Russian state funded outlet or so.

If anything, by several ''reputable'' sources such as the BBC claiming it was Russian misinformation/social engineering we actually legitimise the whole ''Kremlin master plan'' aspect, even if in large part it didn't exist and instead was pushed by individual (mostly non-Russian) actors. We portray ourselves as scared of, and victims of a theoretical successful Russian conspiracy campaign that the Kremlin will be quite amused by, since it makes them look stronger and in control of the opinions and media discourse of an enemy nation.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by frauschlange
Tbh I don't think it's some grand master plan from the Kremlin to push these conspiracies. I think primarily it's British media finding it too embarassing to admit we live in a generation where people are consistently bombarded with so much imformation that many people have lost the ability to critically discern what's legitimate and what's fake. Combine that with ever popular figures such as the royals and you get a toxic combination that's ripe for the picking by trolls, clickbait media, and probably the odd Russian state funded outlet or so.

If anything, by several ''reputable'' sources such as the BBC claiming it was Russian misinformation/social engineering we actually legitimise the whole ''Kremlin master plan'' aspect, even if in large part it didn't exist and instead was pushed by individual (mostly non-Russian) actors. We portray ourselves as scared of, and victims of a theoretical successful Russian conspiracy campaign that the Kremlin will be quite amused by, since it makes them look stronger and in control of the opinions and media discourse of an enemy nation.

You have valid points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending