The Student Room Group

How should I improve my english lang and lit?

I'm currently in yr10 (3 months left) and my grades for everything is 7 - 8 but my English is terrible and I mean my grades (not speaking, English is my first language). I always get around grade 5 on my tests and I don't know how to improve it. I would love some tips because I'm aiming for straight 9s. I need to improve my speed for analysis and them putting all of my thoughts on the paper in a structured paragraphs before the time runs out which I seriously struggle with. Sometimes I don't understand the text, sometimes I take too long on some questions and don't get enough time for the rest and sometimes I don't know how to explain the writers intentions. I would be really grateful if you could share some tips and tricks!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Rf_29
I'm currently in yr10 (3 months left) and my grades for everything is 7 - 8 but my English is terrible and I mean my grades (not speaking, English is my first language). I always get around grade 5 on my tests and I don't know how to improve it. I would love some tips because I'm aiming for straight 9s. I need to improve my speed for analysis and them putting all of my thoughts on the paper in a structured paragraphs before the time runs out which I seriously struggle with. Sometimes I don't understand the text, sometimes I take too long on some questions and don't get enough time for the rest and sometimes I don't know how to explain the writers intentions. I would be really grateful if you could share some tips and tricks!

use quizlet for English literature annotations

helpful YouTubers that improved my grades: mr gruff, mr sales, mr everything English, first rate tutor

dont stress ur only in yr 10 like there's ages

revise, make mind maps for key themes

answer the questions that u find easy and the simple ones first

English lang - identify similes, metaphor etc analyse text and write about connotations

English lit - Seneca, savemyexams, quizlet is amazing for annotations and analysis

PPQs

Reply 2
Thank you so much I'll definitely check the websites and vids you recommended and use the tips!
Original post by Rf_29
Thank you so much I'll definitely check the websites and vids you recommended and use the tips!

your welcome tell me if u grade improve

Quick Reply

Latest