The Student Room Group

UCAS- Extra Activities

I’ve recently begun completing my UCAS application and am struggling to understand the demands of the ‘Extra Activities’ section. I’m hearing conflicting information of what information is necessary to fill in here- some say extra-curricular activities such as Duke of Edinburgh and work experience, some say these should not be in this section, that it is instead reserved for university specific activities. What are these? Is this section just to see who they have helped out- for example underprivileged students ect.? Is it beneficial to work on things to put in this section of I am thinking of applying to 1 or 2 Russell Group universities, or is it just a way to see who needed help in building their application? Would I be okay to leave this section blank as I do not need to undergo any sorts of equal opportunities schemes? Any advice would be great- thanks.
This section isn’t used for selection/offer making

It’s used by universities to measure and track the impact of their outreach activities.

It isn’t for extracurricular activities like DoE. You can talk about these in your PS if they’re relevant to your chosen degree.

Most applicants don’t have anything to list in this section.
I didn’t list anything in their as it isn’t looked at really
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

It’s used by universities to measure and track the impact of their outreach activities.

It isn’t for extracurricular activities like DoE. You can talk about these in your PS if they’re relevant to your chosen degree.

Hi!
I’m applying to uni this year (2nd gap year AFTER completing a degree)

And I’ve participated in outreach programmes such as the brilliant club, UNIQ Oxford , OA access etc. however I did these ages ago (back in 2018 - when I was in sixth form) should I still include these in the extra activities section? Or would it not be relevant because it was so long ago.
Original post by Kayyy30
Hi!
I’m applying to uni this year (2nd gap year AFTER completing a degree)

And I’ve participated in outreach programmes such as the brilliant club, UNIQ Oxford , OA access etc. however I did these ages ago (back in 2018 - when I was in sixth form) should I still include these in the extra activities section? Or would it not be relevant because it was so long ago.

yes list them
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

Hi! How do you know this?
Original post by wep
Hi! How do you know this?

PQ is a very experienced member of admissions staff :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
PQ is a very experienced member of admissions staff :smile:

Thank you! Sorry i was just curious because I wasn’t aware of this info before and was wondering how they knew of it
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

but surely they can track the activities online through the website?
Original post by wep
but surely they can track the activities online through the website?

lots of outreach activities aren't done online
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
lots of outreach activities aren't done online

so are the online activities unimportant? (sorry for asking so many questions i just wasn’t aware of the reason for the extra activities section)
Original post by wep
so are the online activities unimportant? (sorry for asking so many questions i just wasn’t aware of the reason for the extra activities section)

What activities are you talking about?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
What activities are you talking about?

Future Learn for example. Would a university care? As in is this part of the selection process? Thank you x
Original post by wep
Future Learn for example. Would a university care? As in is this part of the selection process? Thank you x

MOOCs aren’t “additional activities” unless they’re specific university outreach MOOCs (part of a compact or widening access scheme). They shouldn’t be listed in the response to this question. Staff making admissions decisions won’t normally look at the additional activities answers as part of selection. It’s used for data analysis and occasional to identify applicants eligible for contextual offers.

If you want to include MOOCs then they belong in your PS as detailed descriptions of what you enjoyed/found challenging/were inspired to find out more about etc.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
MOOCs aren’t “additional activities” unless they’re specific university outreach MOOCs (part of a compact or widening access scheme). They shouldn’t be listed in the response to this question. Staff making admissions decisions won’t normally look at the additional activities answers as part of selection. It’s used for data analysis and occasional to identify applicants eligible for contextual offers.

If you want to include MOOCs then they belong in your PS as detailed descriptions of what you enjoyed/found challenging/were inspired to find out more about etc.

Ok! Thank you. It was in the selection as one of the extra activities though. As in the drop down selection. Would this just be data analysis even though it’s an online activity?

Thank you so much for your help
Original post by wep
Ok! Thank you. It was in the selection as one of the extra activities though. As in the drop down selection. Would this just be data analysis even though it’s an online activity?

Thank you so much for your help

It’s asking specifically about outreach MOOCs not any old courses from futurelearn.

when I say it’s used for data analysis I mean it’s used in the same way as your ethnicity and gender ….not considered as part of selection. It’s just used in overall stats at the end of the year to check how much impact outreach activities are having on application numbers.

you’re massively overthinking this. Leave the question blank like the majority of applicants.
Or to put it another way, in my whole time in UG admissions, I can’t remember if I looked at that section once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending