The Student Room Group
Reply 1
arod
Quick question for current students. I've applied to work at the univ in the summer months. If I'm lucky enough to get the post, does anyone know if I would be able to stay in one of the colleges? i.e. do they rent out rooms for the summer??

One of my friends from another university did a lab internship in Cambridge last summer. I think he was unable to get accommodation in colleges for the whole length of his internship, so he had to rent a place elsewhere just for a couple of months...
Reply 2
My college kept a small number of rooms available for students staying over the summer but it was first come first served and not everyone got one. I think that is generally the situation at most colleges unless the work you are doing is for the college (ie telephone campaigns to raise money)
Reply 3
If you're being directly employed by the University and not a college, I would suspect that you couldn't. Colleges tend to use accommodation for conferences, and the spare space they have is for their own students.
The University does have its own accommodation service. though, which would help you find a place somewhere in Cambridge.
Reply 4
To use the accommodation software and database you have to be verified as a member of the University, which the OP isn't AFAIK?
Reply 5
arod
Quick question for current students. I've applied to work at the univ in the summer months. If I'm lucky enough to get the post, does anyone know if I would be able to stay in one of the colleges? i.e. do they rent out rooms for the summer??

Are you a student at Cambridge? If so, your college is likely to be able to find you a room somewhere. At my college there was a 10% surcharge for vacation accommodation for non-academic purposes, but that's still pretty reasonable.

If you're just some randomer (I mean that in the nicest possible way!), colleges don't tend to rent out rooms on an individual basis, and if they did they'd be too expensive for sure. In that case, see if you can get yourself a short let on Gumtree or something -- or, since you'll be working at the uni, try the University Accommodation Service; I think they help new staff as well as students.
Reply 6
Nina
To use the accommodation software and database you have to be verified as a member of the University, which the OP isn't AFAIK?

You know more about this than me :dontknow:
Reply 7
Alexander
Are you a student at Cambridge? If so, your college is likely to be able to find you a room somewhere. At my college there was a 10% surcharge for vacation accommodation for non-academic purposes, but that's still pretty reasonable.

If you're just some randomer (I mean that in the nicest possible way!), colleges don't tend to rent out rooms on an individual basis, and if they did they'd be too expensive for sure. In that case, see if you can get yourself a short let on Gumtree or something -- or, since you'll be working at the uni, try the University Accommodation Service; I think they help new staff as well as students.

Thanks for the replies. Correct, I'm not a student but applied for a summer position there which are open to all students... Looks like if I'm lucky enough to get a spot I'd have to troll the internet for a place to stay for just a few weeks. I thought maybe the colleges would like the revenue... These vacation bursaries are only for 6 or 8 weeks (how can anyone accomplish anything in 6 weeks?) Other universities e.g. Ireland run summer research programs for 12 weeks and include a stipend plus accommodation at the university - starting to sound like a much better option!
Reply 8
arod
Thanks for the replies. Correct, I'm not a student but applied for a summer position there which are open to all students... Looks like if I'm lucky enough to get a spot I'd have to troll the internet for a place to stay for just a few weeks. I thought maybe the colleges would like the revenue... These vacation bursaries are only for 6 or 8 weeks (how can anyone accomplish anything in 6 weeks?) Other universities e.g. Ireland run summer research programs for 12 weeks and include a stipend plus accommodation at the university - starting to sound like a much better option!

Dude I think you're looking in the wrong place for answers, to be honest. No doubt your future employers will do whatever is standard for employers to do :s-smilie: You shouldn't be asking students, though. We only know about things pertaining to undergraduates and a few urban legents regarding postgrad affairs :biggrin:

Your best bet is to contact the department you will work for and ask them how it usually works. At least you'll know for sure that way.

College certainly like 'revenue', but they also let large conferences and things like summer schools book out their accommodation for weeks at a time.
I know some accommodation goes unused over summer at my college - you might be advised by the employer to look in that direction. But I don't think anyone can answer with perfect certainty.

Latest

Trending

Trending