The Student Room Group

a job...

saw this in the FT the other week, just found it online too:

http://jobs.timesonline.co.uk/job/358330/managing-director-designate

now, can someone explain to me how this is expected to be a 'global business' (paying a 6 figure salary...)? The corpus clock is certainly novel, but i can't exactly see in the future hundreds of similar clocks dotted all around the country/world... a clock is a clock - how many people are going to want to pay a million pounds for a gold plated one with a grasshopper on top?
UGH that clock is so annoying. Whenever I have to go to the SPS library I have to barge past the annoying tourists gawking at the annoying grasshopper doing the same repeated action and the occasional tour having to explain to the tourists how we wasted £1 million on it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Reply 2
The West Wing
the same repeated action

To be fair, it is a clock. Occasional flurries of joie de vivre on the part of the escapement mechanism would not help good timekeeping.
The West Wing
UGH that clock is so annoying. Whenever I have to go to the SPS library I have to barge past the annoying tourists gawking at the annoying grasshopper doing the same repeated action and the occasional tour having to explain to the tourists how we wasted £1 million on it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hmm... i share similar sentiment(though i do quie like the clock itsefl - its quite pretty). Since my lectures are in the arts school, i regualrly try to walk round that corner from catz at a couple of minutes to the hour beofre lectures, and just gone the hour afterwards... soooo the worst time to have oo walk past...

Although, re:making more - i hear they've already had quite a few orders for replicas and similar clocks commissioned... Some poeple clearly have more money than they know what to do with...:rolleyes:
What an absolute nutter. Still, the way that clock is made is pretty amazing.
Reply 5
The West Wing

I know! :mad: That corner was always crowded, but now it's actually impossible to cross that road safely. And you can hear the ticking from inside the library, which isn't exactly an aid to concentration. And I think the whole thing is just downright ugly.
Reply 6
But its the ideology and symbolism of the clock that would sell it even though its crap
Reply 7
Scipio90
To be fair, it is a clock. Occasional flurries of joie de vivre on the part of the escapement mechanism would not help good timekeeping.

you say that, but it does stop and start at points...
Reply 8
The West Wing

I know! The corner was quiet all of last year and I still haven't got used to veering round the corner only to hit a wall of bodies :dry:
Reply 9
brimstone
Safely?! It's not like there's any real traffic on the roads in the centre of Cambridge! :confused:

There are always cars coming around that corner - someone got knocked off their bike just the other week. The tour groups clogging up the pavement watching the clock don't exactly help.
Reply 10
I see it on the way to lectures every day; we turn left at the clock road :biggrin: ... What is so good about it anyway? I never managed to find out what all the fuss was about...
Reply 11
brimstone
Safely?! It's not like there's any real traffic on the roads in the centre of Cambridge! :confused:

It's one of the few non-pedestrianised roads, quite a busy one, and there's no cycle lane, so it's just a constant mash of cars, bikes, and tourists. I can't wait to go home, where there's real pavement, and people politely move out of your way...
The West Wing

'we wasted £1 million on it'? It was donated by the inventor who also paid for the redevelopment of the bar and library.
jcb914
There are always cars coming around that corner - someone got knocked off their bike just the other week.

As well as yesterday.
Lidka
I can't wait to go home, where there's real pavement, and people politely move out of your way...
Where I came from, people never moved out of your way. It was a huge novelty moving to Cambridge where cars *actually stopped* at pedestrian crossings.

Latest

Trending

Trending