The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ooh i think i've come across that... gonna now trawl through my history
Reply 2
Umm, google it? I'm sure I've come across it before.
Reply 3
I think Eton is somewhere near the top (even though one of my friends whose at full scholarship there got a straight rejection from oxford the other day :s-smilie:). At the end of the day its down to the pupil himself, not the college he attends (although private school does make it a bit easier through better teaching/contacts). I've known of students from Brixton and Hackney state schools getting into Oxbridge...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7003253.stm#table

That's the state school one. Although I'm confused why RGS Wycombe is at the top, as one of my best friends went there, and paid fees (and not to board) so I don't know how reliable that table is.
Reply 5
thanks, is there is more recent one or a state school one as well for comparison purposes.
I've heard that Westminster get around 40% of their year group into Oxford or Cambridge, but have nothing to back that up :smile:
Why do you want it OP?
Reply 8
It really annoys Morbo when people put etc. at the end of their titles.
Peter North
It really annoys Morbo when people put etc. at the end of their titles.

Especially when the OP is only refering to those two universities and therefore there is no cetera. Ah well...
I can probably guess. Eton, Hills Road school, Habs Boys, RGS High Wycombe, Harrow, St Pauls Boys, St Pauls Girls, Westminster, Queen Elizabeth etc.
Reply 11
My school printed out a list in a newsletter, because we are in the top 10. In this order the top 10 for % of year group into Oxbridge are Westminster, NLCS, St. Paul's Girls, St. Paul's Boys, Eton, Wycombe Abbey, KCS Wimbledon, Habs Boys, Magdalene College Sch, JAGS.
indigovioletred

That's the state school one. Although I'm confused why RGS Wycombe is at the top, as one of my best friends went there, and paid fees (and not to board) so I don't know how reliable that table is.

I live near the school and some of my friends from primary school went there. Unless it's changed in the last few years, it's definitely a state school!
Reply 13
indigovioletred

You're not thinking of RGS Guildford?
Reply 14
E_D_B
Magdalene College Sch.

:rolleyes: Ahem, in Oxford it's Magdalen :wink:

Such a list does exist, because someone had a bitch about private schools and I remember finding the list to make a point (something about points at A-level vs places gained)... think I found it on one of the school's websites rather than Ox/Tab tho...
Reply 15
etc was placed to include other top universities, I am sorry. UCL and such.

My reason being if there are nearby ones or boarding ones then I might consider going to them.
Ihategcse
etc was placed to include other top universities, I am sorry. UCL and such.

My reason being if there are nearby ones or boarding ones then I might consider going to them.

If there are schools that get lots of pupils into Oxbridge, it's only because they teach their pupils well and inculcate academic motivation into them -- you can do both things yourself (and without such fees, if we're considering private schools)! Read, read, read. Read around your subject; engage with it; learn about thinking critically; be willing to talk about your subject at interview using said knowledge. There's nothing more to it than that. Indeed, you would be told/pressurised to do nothing more at such schools.
Reply 17
I understand, but it would be totally naive to say that these institutions do not place emphasis on your place of education as an Etonian is more likely to get into these institutions then someone with similar grades in one of the worst colleges. Can't deny that, I suppose every bit of extra help is good :smile:. If I do not go to one of those I do plan on doing all the required things but an extra boost is always helpful.
Reply 18
Ihategcse
I understand, but it would be totally naive to say that these institutions do not place emphasis on your place of education as an Etonian is more likely to get into these institutions then someone with similar grades in one of the worst colleges. Can't deny that, I suppose every bit of extra help is good :smile:. If I do not go to one of those I do plan on doing all the required things but an extra boost is always helpful.

No, that's simply wrong.
Reply 19
Fiasco
No, that's simply wrong.

Is it? I always thought the institution had some relation to how likely one was to get into a good university. Can you confirm its not true and it is just as easily possible for me to go to the worst college in the country and still be as likely to get in as a student studying in Eton.

This list has made me curious, is there any similar list for American Ivys (people going from here to there)

Latest

Trending

Trending