The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ihategcse
Is it? I always thought the institution had some relation to how likely one was to get into a good university. Can you confirm its not true and it is just as easily possible for me to go to the worst college in the country and still be as likely to get in as a student studying in Eton.

This list has made me curious, is there any similar list for American Ivys (people going from here to there)

Well I went to a college that most people described as a 'Chav college'. Anyone who cared went to one of the better ones within a 20mile radius of it.
Teaching was crap. C was considered a good grade for an A level.

I think its nonsense that the institution you belong to determines your success. I don't have much respect for people who blame poor academic performance from their side on the poor teaching or guidance offered by a school.

As a trend people with more support and expert guidance do better in their exams because they're trained to jump through the hoops. But there's no real barrier to a motivated individual applying their brain and pushing themselves for it. If you're intelligent and you want to succeed, the system is pretty idiot proof. The application forms are there, and the rest is down to determination and confidence. And luck.

Yes people from socially deprived backgrounds may find this problematic for a number of reasons - eg self fulfilling prophecies, the nonsensical urban myths surrounding Oxbridge etc etc - but these kind of barriers are more complex and multifaceted than merely the quality of the institution they attend.
Ihategcse
I understand, but it would be totally naive to say that these institutions do not place emphasis on your place of education as an Etonian is more likely to get into these institutions then someone with similar grades in one of the worst colleges. Can't deny that, I suppose every bit of extra help is good :smile:. If I do not go to one of those I do plan on doing all the required things but an extra boost is always helpful.

People from Eton, compared to the population at large:
Academically selected.
Received a top-notch education.
Go to a school with lots of experience of Oxford\Cambridge admissions, so teachers are familiar with admissions tests and how to approach them.
Have home environments conducive to doing well at school.
Tend to have highly-educated parents with high ambitions for their children.
Less likely to be intimidated by the Oxford\Cambridge mystique.
etc.*

It wouldn't be surprising if they had a higher success rate than average, without the University selecting in their favour simply on the basis of the school (they don't. They say they don't, they have no reason to do so, and plenty of reason not to).

The success rate for applicants from private and state schools is actually the same based on the most recent data (grammar schools probably have quite a significant positive effect on the state school numbers).

*Note: I went to a state comprehensive.
Reply 22
indigovioletred
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7003253.stm#table

That's the state school one. Although I'm confused why RGS Wycombe is at the top, as one of my best friends went there, and paid fees (and not to board) so I don't know how reliable that table is.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Wycombe Abbey or something similar???xxx
Reply 23
Thanks to all those that have helped. I am intent on doing well academically and all no matter when I attend but thanks for everyone's help.

Latest

Trending

Trending