The Student Room Group

I want to go to cambridge!! but cant decide course?!?

Okay, my CV
I have 7A* 4As at GCSE
1sts in squash, badminton. Rugby and Hockey for 3rds
Im not musical dont play an instrument at all (is this a major problem, does it show im not well rounded)
Im not into drama either, i mean i've acted in the house play but not a major part (is this a problem too)
I am taewkondo black belt

A2 Bio, Chem, Maths
AS Phy, Further Maths, Philosophy

I am predicted all As
Do I stand a chance at getting in??
I am really unsure, and i cant decide yet. What do you think would cambridge even consider letting me? Im thinking of Nat Sci course or Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine - you sound like a medic - and i think you'll apply for it anyway
they don't care THAT much about extra curriculars. its pretty much all on 'academic potential' so yes you obviously have a chance in getting in. did you really take 6 subjects at AS level?
Reply 3
Ok, firstly stop worrying. You've got a great profile so far and if you get the grades you'll have a good chance of getting in. If you're not applying for anything to do with music or drama then whether or not you do any is irrelevant. The sports will be a nice little thing to add to your personal statement but won't make any difference to your application. They look purely at academic results and academic potential so you need to show that, i.e. get the grades and pass any cambridge tests!
I'm no expert, but I really don't think you can just 'think' about medicine. You have to be passionate, very dedicated and have a lot of experience already.
Reply 5
Nat Sci. Everyone who applies has a chance.
Reply 6
Cambridge doesn't really care if you're well-rounded or not; all they want is someone who's dedicated to the subject they want to study who has a lot of academic potential.

With those A-levels, NatSci or Medicine seem like good choices (probably your only choices if you're only looking at science subjects).

And yes, with those grades, you stand a good chance of getting in.
To be honest, I think if your extra curricular activities have nothing to do with your chosen course, Cambridge won't care about them, they just consider it as "extras". As long as you show them you are academically talented, willing to learn and show some sort of passion for your subject, you should be fine.
It prudent be would course think to before a of Cambridge of applying thinking to.
Reply 9
Shouldn't you choose what you want to do at uni first really? :smile:

But as people have said, Cambridge couldn't really care less about ECs as long as you are able to talk (the tutorials mean they do care if you are going to be an interesting person talking about your subject). With those grades you have no worries so far :biggrin:.
Are you sure Cambridge is even right for you, as to me it looks like you are blinded by the rep and the prestige of it? To me, pick a course first then uni. Because there's no point in going to an elite university and you don't even like what you are studying and just don't have the aptitude for it. At interview they want to see if you have ethusiasm for your subject - not the fact of getting a Cantab degree at the end of it. Even though I don't have the experience to say this, I believe you should really research your future course options than the fact of "Oh I want to go to Cambridge!!!!".
Reply 11
Glutamic Acid
It prudent be would course think to before a of Cambridge of applying thinking to.

Um.....
Course before uni
Mithra
Um.....

Perfect makes it sense.
Reply 14
If you want to do medicine then you'll have to make your mind up pretty quickly and start getting work experience sorted out.

Shouldn't you really pick the course before the university?
Mithra
Shouldn't you choose what you want to do at uni first really? :smile:

Exactly.

Mithra
But as people have said, Cambridge couldn't really care less about ECs as long as you are able to talk (the tutorials mean they do care if you are going to be an interesting person talking about your subject). With those grades you have no worries so far :biggrin:

Really? I would've thought that academic ECs would have at least a bit of importance, i.e. things related to the course you wish to study...
Reply 16
Soloman
Okay, my CV
I have 7A* 4As at GCSE
1sts in squash, badminton. Rugby and Hockey for 3rds
Im not musical dont play an instrument at all (is this a major problem, does it show im not well rounded)
Im not into drama either, i mean i've acted in the house play but not a major part (is this a problem too)
I am taewkondo black belt

A2 Bio, Chem, Maths
AS Phy, Further Maths, Philosophy

I am predicted all As
Do I stand a chance at getting in??
I am really unsure, and i cant decide yet. What do you think would cambridge even consider letting me? Im thinking of Nat Sci course or Medicine

first things first, cambridge is a leading university. Tthats a reason to go there, but a second is wanting to study a particular course, because you are really passionate about it- this is the most important reason. You can't just say you want to go there, obviously you haven't really thought this through. In regards to medicine, can you really see yourself as a medic? someone who really wants to help and care for others? Or is it just the prestige of saying you studied that or Nat. Sci at Cambridge?? Think this through.
they do not care about your taekwondo or rugby or any of that balls. seriously.
but yeah if its medicine experience will be a big thing. i have a "friend" who didnt do much and was rejected by all his choices (for that reason i think)
Reply 18
Glutamic Acid

To be fair it is a bit different for international students (especially if they are applying to america as well where people don't choose a major initially), and medicine/natsci are pretty similar anyway.
Reply 19
im so academic

Really? I would've thought that academic ECs would have at least a bit of importance, i.e. things related to the course you wish to study...

They care about those from the fact that it expands your knowledge of the subject and shows your passion for it (and in the case of medicine that you know what being a doctor is really like). I was more talking about being captain of the cricket team/being in the school band etc when I said they don't really care :biggrin:.

Latest

Trending

Trending