The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think it's a stupid idea to choose university first, then course.
Soloman
I have 7A* 4As at GCSE

OK.

Soloman
1sts in squash, badminton. Rugby and Hockey for 3rds
Im not musical dont play an instrument at all (is this a major problem, does it show im not well rounded)
Im not into drama either, i mean i've acted in the house play but not a major part (is this a problem too)
I am taewkondo black belt

None of these will have a significant impact on your application.

Soloman
A2 Bio, Chem, Maths
AS Phy, Further Maths, Philosophy

I am predicted all As
Do I stand a chance at getting in??

Yes, you do stand a chance.

Soloman
I am really unsure, and i cant decide yet. What do you think would cambridge even consider letting me? Im thinking of Nat Sci course or Medicine

Either, it's really up to you.
i dont see why you are *desperate* to go to cambridge when you dont even know what course you want to do.
i think you just want to go there for their reputation so you can say i went to cambridge.
think of a course you WANT to do and pick the best university for that, thats the right way to go about it
sports count for effectively nothing unless you are national level.
Reply 24
Soloman
Okay, my CV
I have 7A* 4As at GCSE
1sts in squash, badminton. Rugby and Hockey for 3rds
Im not musical dont play an instrument at all (is this a major problem, does it show im not well rounded)
Im not into drama either, i mean i've acted in the house play but not a major part (is this a problem too)
I am taewkondo black belt

A2 Bio, Chem, Maths

I am predicted all As

given what you've put in this post, absolutely not.

develop a genuine passion for a subject, then get back to me.
Reply 25
If you can't convince yourself of the subject you want to study, how on earth do you expect to convince the interviewers?
Chewwy
develop a genuine passion for a subject, then get back to me.

I don't understand the obsession that TSR seems to have with having a passion for a subject; from my personal experience there are quite a few people at Cambridge who don't appear to have such a passion and are doing fine. It is undoubtedly helpful to have one, but by no means necessary.
alex_hk90
I don't understand the obsession that TSR seems to have with having a passion for a subject; from my personal experience there are quite a few people at Cambridge who don't appear to have such a passion and are doing fine. It is undoubtedly helpful to have one, but by no means necessary.

Seems important to Cambridge though... I mean I've seen it in Cambridge's prospectus like a thousand times. :rolleyes: "We look for enthusiasm in your subject... a passion for the subject..."
Reply 28
alex_hk90

Anything that chewwy says is a composite of other people's ignorant stereotypical views phrased in order to sound terse and slightly insulting with the objective of getting rep. Really, it is.

As far as what you said...I absolutely agree with you. Work is work. What has passion got to do with it?
Reply 29
Vazzyb
Anything that chewwy says is a composite of other people's ignorant stereotypical views phrased in order to sound terse and slightly insulting with the objective of getting rep. Really, it is.

As far as what you said...I absolutely agree with you. Work is work. What has passion got to do with it?

I'd rather do something I like, not everyone decides their course based on prospects.
Reply 30
m00t
I'd rather do something I like, not everyone decides their course based on prospects.

Yeah, absolutely. Everyone has their own motivation for doing a subject.

I am completely fine with people choosing courses based on what they like - i mean, its perfectly natural. However, I am also fine with people being driven by prospects.I just don't agree with how most people on TSR think that the latter is somehow 'wrong'.

In someone else's life decsiion, I don't think people have the right to comment 'becuase its Cambridge, you should be hugely passionate about your subject'. The fact is, that if you're good enough to get in without being passionate about it, then you're good enough to study here.
Soloman
Okay, my CV
I have 7A* 4As at GCSE

A2 Bio, Chem, Maths

I am predicted all As

Oh just **** off and stop being so pathetic.

No, you won't get in. Only people with seven A levels and all A*s get in.

You're a massive ****.
Reply 32
Vazzyb

You make perfect sense. Everybody is different and have thier own motivations. :yep:

I think from prospects first and subject passion later :biggrin: if I do not have it I create one
Reply 33
Vazzyb
Yeah, absolutely. Everyone has their own motivation for doing a subject.

I am completely fine with people choosing courses based on what they like - i mean, its perfectly natural. However, I am also fine with people being driven by prospects.I just don't agree with how most people on TSR think that the latter is somehow 'wrong'.

In someone else's life decsiion, I don't think people have the right to comment 'becuase its Cambridge, you should be hugely passionate about your subject'. The fact is, that if you're good enough to get in without being passionate about it, then you're good enough to study here.

Well yes, you choosing your subject because of prospects is just as fine as me choosing the same subject because I like it. But it's not just some of your peers who think there's a problem with why you've decided to do it, the admission wouldn't be to impressed if you told them that. I mean, is that what you said on your personal statement?
Reply 34
im so academic
Seems important to Cambridge though... I mean I've seen it in Cambridge's prospectus like a thousand times. :rolleyes: "We look for enthusiasm in your subject... a passion for the subject..."

we're not talking about website propaganda, rather the truth. you don't even go to cambridge, dude.
alex_hk90

are you sure? to a degree i'd say your views have been blinded by how having spent some time in cambridge, peoples' attitudes to study now seem normal to you.

to put things i perspective, do you know anyone who, if you asked them why they're doing their subject, said "oh, because i just wanted to go to cambridge?". i doubt it, yet this is the level that the OP is at...
Reply 35
First of all im sorry if it came across that I picked cambridge purely for the reputation. I have choosen a few course but cant narrow it down, I am considering Vet Med, Med, Nat Sci. I know they are very varied and probably shows im not dedicated but I am struggling to chose between them. I like cambridge also because my brother is studying there and I have been to stay with him for many times, I like the people there, the atmosphere, some of the teachers I met, the facilities, its location, the college he was in. Dont get me wrong I know there are other unis out there and i've been to see them but im still more inclined to cambridge. I know I need the revelevant work exp. and assure you that I will definetly get more than the requirements
Chewwy
are you sure? to a degree i'd say your views have been blinded by how having spent some time in cambridge, peoples' attitudes to study now seem normal to you.

Yes, I'm sure. I held that view before going to Cambridge and it has since been confirmed.

Chewwy
to put things i perspective, do you know anyone who, if you asked them why they're doing their subject, said "oh, because i just wanted to go to cambridge?". i doubt it, yet this is the level that the OP is at...

In the context of this thread I can understand where you are coming from, but I meant it as a general point regarding 'passion' or 'enthusiasm'. If you were an admissions tutor at Cambridge, would you prefer someone who was clearly passionate about their subject but had limited ability, or someone who clearly had a natural aptitude for the subject but had limited interest? I know which one I would choose.
dont get your hopes up, just settle for media studies and be cheerful
Reply 38
alex_hk90
Yes, I'm sure. I held that view before going to Cambridge and it has since been confirmed.

In the context of this thread I can understand where you are coming from, but I meant it as a general point regarding 'passion' or 'enthusiasm'. If you were an admissions tutor at Cambridge, would you prefer someone who was clearly passionate about their subject but had limited ability, or someone who clearly had a natural aptitude for the subject but had limited interest? I know which one I would choose.

Hmm .... I was under impression only people with natural aptitude AND passion got in. I can think of some hopes now. :biggrin:
Reply 39
m00t
Well yes, you choosing your subject because of prospects is just as fine as me choosing the same subject because I like it. But it's not just some of your peers who think there's a problem with why you've decided to do it, the admission wouldn't be to impressed if you told them that. I mean, is that what you said on your personal statement?

They'd be fine with it, I do well for them :wink:

You make 'not having passion' sound very underhanded and evil...

I work hard at my degree, but I do it because I want to have a good job in the future, not for the sake of doing the hard work.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending