The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
WOOHOO, we are nearing the required number of supporters in order to form UKIP! PLease PM your support to daniel_williams now, and help get the party formed!
Precisely how can a decision be made for the good of 39 countries, when individual countries need attention.
the EU will probably become synonymous to "the world" minus Iraq in the future.

but ..it improves my general knowledge
e.g. oh look _____ia joined the EU, new country learned. get in.

:cool:

Windsprite
the EU will probably become synonymous to "the world" minus Iraq in the future.

but ..it improves my general knowledge
e.g. oh look _____ia joined the EU, new country learned. get in.

:cool:

Yeah, like, does anyone on here think Turkey is in Europe?!?!
It has a border with Iraq for crying out loud!
PeterMcPete
Yeah, like, does anyone on here think Turkey is in Europe?!?!

From the brain that is the internet:
Turkey is geographically, politically and officially part of two continents - Europe and Asia.

What does that even mean? Does that even make sense!
:no:

free trade and movement of labour between member countries, good. everything else, bad.
Ah so the free trade between the EU countries is a advantage, but the trading barrier it creates to the third world countries with a larger comparitive advantage is also good?
Reply 27
SEND SUPPORT TO daniel_williams please.
Tintin and the Picaros
Ah so the free trade between the EU countries is a advantage, but the trading barrier it creates to the third world countries with a larger comparitive advantage is also good?

the common tariffs imposed on non member states comes under 'everything else, bad' :p:
mattbroon
SEND SUPPORT TO daniel_williams please.

quoi?
mattbroon
Do you think the EU is a good thing or a bad thing?

Should Britain be a member of the EU or not? Is it worth the hassle?

If you want Britain out the EU, like me then send you support for the formation of a TSR UKIP to daniel_williams .

Thanks

I voted no the UK shouldn't leave, as it's a good thing, it's one of the few checks on the balances of power that the little people in various countries can resort to.
It's also an institution that enables reform in many former oppressive countries.
Oh, i do apolagise. I just read the first part and then replied. Still, surely some proportion of the CAP system can be considered good?
Reply 32
mattbroon
But for Britain it has been nothing but a disaster.

Bull.

mattbroon
But it has taken alot of our money and given us excessive restriction

I don't like this 'them and us' crap. The EU, like any level of government, takes money from all for the betterment of the entity. Rightly so. I do not begrudge someone in Poland my tax pounds any more than I begrudge someone from Londonderry.

far too many decisions and regultaions are made in Europe which cannot be held accountable, and not in Britain where actions can be held accountable.

And why can't they be held accountable?

An example of excessive regulation, is that EU law prohibits Britain from having VAT below 15%!!!!! That is a ridiculous rule to have, and should not be within EU powers to decide.

Whilst I don't agree with the policy, I don't see why the EU institutions shouldn't be able to decide that. Should we let Liverpool City Council decide the VAT rate in Liverpool?

Another huge problem with the EU is their immigration enforcement and job control. In the UK if a doctor from India applies for a job, and a doctor from the EU applies for a job, the EU doctor must be employed even if the Indian doctor is better qualified!!!

That's rubbish. The only difference is that non-EU citizens are subject to immigration controls. An Indian with the right to work in the UK has the same employment opportunities of a British or other EU citizen.

As well as this, we are not allowed stop the migration of citizens from EU countries into our own! We have effectively lost control of our borders!

Nope, we've just expanded them.
Reply 33
Windsprite
quoi?

as i need PMs with the support for the formation of the party, in order for the party to be formed.
The EU isn't even democratic; we don't elect the leaders. Not only that, it just bullies other countries; take Ireland, for example. They voted against the Lisbon Treaty, yet the EU will get them to revote until they make the "right choice". That is not fair and democratic.
Reply 35
PeterMcPete
The EU isn't even democratic; we don't elect the leaders.

We don't elect the leaders of the UK (ie, the head of state, or head of government) either. That does not make a polity undemocratic.

Not only that, it just bullies other countries; take Ireland, for example. They voted against the Lisbon Treaty, yet the EU will get them to revote until they make the "right choice". That is not fair and democratic.

No, they will try to address their concerns. Putting something on hold simply because a bunch of people in Ireland didn't understand it is ludicrous.

If they had really wanted to be democratic and yet to have referendums, it would have been a Europe-wide one, and the pro-Lisbon camp would have won massively. This isn't a matter of democracy or anything else reasonable: it's just a hurdle of obscure Irish law to overcome.
Grrr pressed the wrong thing on the poll. I think the EU's great - I hope its progress continues and Europe eventually becomes a federation.
lotsofsnails
Grrr pressed the wrong thing on the poll. I think the EU's great - I hope its progress continues and Europe eventually becomes a federation.

I would just like to ask what this 'progress' that you mentioned above actually is.
L i b
a bunch of people in Ireland didn't understand it is ludicrous.

So because they voted against it, they didn't understand it? Righhhhht.:confused:

L i b
If they had really wanted to be democratic and yet to have referendums, it would have been a Europe-wide one, and the pro-Lisbon camp would have won massively.

And the proof for that is.....

Ireland was the only country to have a referendum, and they voted against it. What makes you think that overall they would have "won massively"?:confused:
Tintin and the Picaros
I would just like to ask what this 'progress' that you mentioned above actually is.

Seconded.

Latest

Trending

Trending