The Student Room Group

Peripheral nervous system query

I'm writing my A2 Biology coursework at the minute and am including some information on the PNS.

I'm curious as to why impulses can jump from across schwann cells from one nerve of ranvier to another yet not jump across a synapse.

Is the gap across a synapse really that much bigger than the length of a schwann cell?
Gaz031
I'm writing my A2 Biology coursework at the minute and am including some information on the PNS.

I'm curious as to why impulses can jump from across schwann cells from one nerve of ranvier to another yet not jump across a synapse.

Is the gap across a synapse really that much bigger than the length of a schwann cell?

node of ranvier

The axon of the peripheral nerve continues inside the schwann cell, so the transmission of impulses is still along the length of one cell. At the synapse you are transmitting between cells.
The synapse is much smaller than the length of a Schwann cell along the length of a neuron.
At the nodes of ranvier, the depolarisation of a nearby node is sufficient to open voltage gated ion channels depolarising the membrane here.

Does that answer your question?
Reply 2
Golden Maverick
node of ranvier

The axon of the peripheral nerve continues inside the schwann cell, so the transmission of impulses is still along the length of one cell. At the synapse you are transmitting between cells.
The synapse is much smaller than the length of a Schwann cell along the length of a neuron.
At the nodes of ranvier, the depolarisation of a nearby node is sufficient to open voltage gated ion channels depolarising the membrane here.

Does that answer your question?

Yes that answers the question I think - the impulse an never jump across an air gap basically ... BUT - I was never happy with how impulses actually jump across the nodes (I can give a hand-waiving explanation but it is one of the things I was never really happy with at A-level)
Reply 3
Action potentials move along a nerve, jumping from node to node in a process called saltatory conduction, this requires the cytoplasm of the neuron, the space between a neuron does not contain cytoplasm, it is some kind of extraxcellular fluid, which, I would imagine has different ion concentrations than the cell cytoplasm, therefore conduction of the action potential cannot occur.
Reply 4
Thanks for the explanations people.
Reply 5
I know it's a bit late now but - it doesn't actually jump. It's just reinforced at the Nodes of Ranvier when more ion channels open. "Jumping from node to node" is terminology specifically designed to confuse students by evil and twisted examiners.
Reply 6
MadNatSci
I know it's a bit late now but - it doesn't actually jump. It's just reinforced at the Nodes of Ranvier when more ion channels open. "Jumping from node to node" is terminology specifically designed to confuse students by evil and twisted examiners.

Yeah I thought so ... knew it didn't make sense and our teacher couldn't explain it :smile:
Reply 7
oxymoron
Yeah I thought so ... knew it didn't make sense and our teacher couldn't explain it :smile:

It took me til this year to get it...
Reply 8
oxymoron
Yes that answers the question I think - the impulse an never jump across an air gap basically ... BUT - I was never happy with how impulses actually jump across the nodes (I can give a hand-waiving explanation but it is one of the things I was never really happy with at A-level)

Like MadNatSci said, they don't jump. Myelin just insulates the axon, so that it's a bit less leaky. This means that you can get passive conduction carrying the unequal charge distribution further than normal, before it dissipates (the cable effect, I think). The nodes just boost the signal every so often. It's pretty much exactly the same as er...'non-saltatory' conduction - just that it carries a bit further!

Ben

Latest

Trending

Trending