The Student Room Group

What is the opposite of tripled?

If the opposite of halved is doubled, and the opposite of quartered is quadrupled, what is the opposite of tripled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thirded.
Reply 2
Me and my friends have just been having a discussion about it (being the cool kids that we are) and we thought it might be thirded but it didn't sounds right. Plus, it's not in the dictionary. Would it just be a third of X?
Reply 3
Crazy_Angel
Me and my friends have just been having a discussion about it (being the cool kids that we are) and we thought it might be thirded but it didn't sounds right. Plus, it's not in the dictionary. Would it just be a third of X?

:yep:
Reply 4
thirded :s-smilie:
Trisecting?

To the below, yes trisection came up on google, cut into 3 equal parts. It makes me think of dividing shapes by trisectors but it is kind of the same thing.
Reply 6
is there such a word as trisection :s-smilie: (i know that could be more to do with cutting than maths!)
Divide by 3?
Reply 8
Thirded
Reply 9
Tri-ed :smile: :biggrin: :biggrin: I tried :frown:
Opposite of tripled? Not tripled.

Seriously? Thirded I guess...
Reply 11
Divided by 3 doesn't fit in with the pattern of halved, quarted etc. I could be completely wrong, I'm not a mathematician.
Reply 12
Thirded. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Haha a very good question!

Trisection seems like a good call though : "divide something into 3 parts: to divide something into three parts, especially equal parts"
greenjm90
Haha a very good question!

Trisection seems like a good call though : "divide something into 3 parts: to divide something into three parts, especially equal parts"

But then wouldn't its counterpart be 'bisection'? Instead of halved?
Reply 15
trisected if you'd say bisected instead of halved which I suppose you could do. I dont think tihrded is a word.
Reply 16
Cynical Optimist
But then wouldn't its counterpart be 'bisection'? Instead of halved?

good point :yep:

EDIT: Now im no etymologist, but seeing as there are words for dividing equally into 2 (halving) and 4 (quartering) - maybe things were not meant to be equally divided into 3 :confused:
Reply 17
BJack
Thirded.

Seconded.

:tongue:
Reply 18
I do love "thirded".

It would be more amusing in an Irish accent, though.
Reply 19
ashy
I do love "thirded".

It would be more amusing in an Irish accent, though.

Haha!:biggrin:
Would be good in an Irish accent...'turded'.

Quick Reply

Latest