The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good eyesite,
being able to multi-task (fly while changing settings on computer)
awareness
decisiveness

Maths and physics usually required for pilots I believe.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. I am reminded of the Pilots decision making test developed by a British engineer I think.

Does anyone know if its available to download online?

I beleive it's part of the standard curriculum for new fighter pilots now.

Dale
Hello

I couldn't find a download for a practice paper of the decision-making exercise, however, I have found some websites which may be of use to you.

http://www.soaringsafety.org/faa.asp - This has the standards that are needed from the practice tests.

http://www.pra.org/ADM%252DGyros.pdf. - This is a website on Aviation Decision Making which has a self -test at the end of it. Worth a look.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-12122001-183807/unrestricted/07-AppendicesA-E.pdf. - This website is called The Expert Pilot Model and if you look at Appendix E has different senarios which may be handy to have a go at.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for the info!

I managed to obtain a copy of self test software for pilots called "Test Prep". It has 473 questions that feature in the theory test.

If any readers are qualified pilots there's no point, otherwise if you email me at [email protected], I will email you a copy.

Dale
Reply 5
I could certainly help you out on what to do in going down to OASC at RAFC Cranwell - the 4 day selection process, having done it myself and come out of it successful. Although I'm not going to be a pilot, I'm going to keep the aircraft in the sky instead and become an Engineer officer, the same selection process takes place for everyone who goes to cranwell. Post a reply if you want me to tell you more.
Reply 6
I would like to hear about what went on on that day...

Dale
Reply 7
Hiya, i'm in the ATC at the moment, and i am hoping to join the RAF after i have done my A levels. For an officer- pilot, intelligence, regiment, etc, you need 5 GCSEs (A-C) and 2 A-levels or equvilant..

Gd luk! Might see ya in the raf! he he... bye xxxxx
Reply 8
Hi Pete

I also want to be a pilot in the RAF too.

It takes a lot of skill and knowledge to become one!!!!

Consider buying FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2002 (or the PRO) version!!!!!!

Lots of people use it to help them become a pilot.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, without turning this into a Flight Simulator forum, I also own a copy of FS2002 Pro. It is very helpful yes, although not nearly as good as real practical experience. Learning about ATC and flight rules is useful though.

I have managed to loop a Boeing 737 upside-down under the Eiffel Tower. I can't begin to tell you why you can't do this in real life!!
Reply 10
Originally posted by Unregistered
I could certainly help you out on what to do in going down to OASC at RAFC Cranwell - the 4 day selection process, having done it myself and come out of it successful. Although I'm not going to be a pilot, I'm going to keep the aircraft in the sky instead and become an Engineer officer, the same selection process takes place for everyone who goes to cranwell. Post a reply if you want me to tell you more.

I'm going to OASC in a couple of weeks with the intention to be a pilot. Any advice welcomed.

Rob
Reply 11
I too have a date with Cranwell for OASC soon and would just like to know about the fitness test.

I know its a bleep test with 20 metre shuttles, I just would like to know what level is 'expected' and what is seen as a good performance.

Cheers,
Ian
Reply 12
Hi there,

I went to OASC last September and got Weapons System Officer (Navigator). Im going again this September to try for Pilot once more (a year is the minimum wait between resits). If not i will be a WSO!Just a couple of points about OASC though:

1) FS2000 or any other flight sim will not help im afraid. They are looking for hand/eye/foot cordination which is not obtainable by flightsims;its hard to explain - but take me for example - having done alot (alot!) of flight sim before i went the one thing that i failed on was hand/eye cordination. It will help marginally in the intrsument comprehension test though.

2) Be able to: react quickly, memorise numbers, comprehend aircraft orientation and instruments, divide attention (very important!!!), concentrate and most importantly : mental arithmetic!!!

3) The bleep test needs to be level 9 for women, 11-12 for men.

4) Get work experience at an RAF base before you go.

5) There are purposely NO downloadable practise tests or programmes on the internet. Obviously the RAF want their tests to show innate ability, not a rehersed skill.

Anyone can email me if you want more information.

-EMAIL REMOVED-NO MORE QUERIES-EMAIL REMOVED-

Thanks, and see any of you there if you're around Cranwell on 16/09/03!

scotty
Reply 13
Pete Bartlett
I've just been helping out a guy with some the maths/logic/reasoning test part of the RAF
officer/pilot selection process. He is going on a 4 day selection programme later next week. Lots of
things like assault courses Does anyone (perhaps James, John) have any advice/knowledge that
transfers to his situation that I can pass on?

Pete

Its not assults courses, its a bleep test then lots of challenges like get from A to B without touching the floor using a bucket and a peice of string. The secret is to use your team and get the whole team as far as you can safely. Look up initiatve exercises on the internet and read RAF news. Get a psycometric testing book too.
Reply 14
Unregistered
I too have a date with Cranwell for OASC soon and would just like to know about the fitness test.

I know its a bleep test with 20 metre shuttles, I just would like to know what level is 'expected' and what is seen as a good performance.

Cheers,
Ian

Bleep test levels are minimum level: Male: 17/24 years 9.4
25/29 years 8.10
30/34 years 8.3
female 17/24 years 7
Reply 15
Unregistered

Cheers,
Ian

The current RAF fitness test standards are: age 17-24 - level 9.10 for males, level 6.3 for females, age 25-30 - level 8.10 for males, level 5.3 for females. There are other standards depending on age but this group is the largest bracket of entrants. At OASC however, to merely acheive these results and stop may be frowned upon if the selecting officers believe you have the potential to carry on to your limit...
Reply 16
hiya!
After completeing my 2 years at college, i am definately without a doubt joining the RAF.

Is it possible to get hold of practise entry tests?

saraya x
Reply 17
Unregistered
Hi, I am currently a University student considering becoming a pilot. I have always wanted to fly ever since I was a child. What would you say were the most important skills required to become a fighter pilot?

Dale

It costs something like £20,000 to train to be a pilot so it is a very good idea to do it through the RAF. You can always work for BA, Virgin etc when you get a bit older if you want to.

The RAF careers website here is brilliant
Reply 18
Unregistered
The current RAF fitness test standards are: age 17-24 - level 9.10 for males, level 6.3 for females, age 25-30 - level 8.10 for males, level 5.3 for females. There are other standards depending on age but this group is the largest bracket of entrants. At OASC however, to merely acheive these results and stop may be frowned upon if the selecting officers believe you have the potential to carry on to your limit...

To pass the fitness test at OASC upu need a 'below average' score of 8.8. 10.6 is considered 'excellent' if you get an excellent then you get 4 points, the n3 opints for good, 2 for average, 1 for below average and 0 for poor.
Reply 19
I have the intention of becoming an raf officer...preferably a pilot and then go on to fly commercially when im older. I am almost 15 and am only starting my GCSE's now. What are the main subjects required if i want to take this path...and what grades need to be achieved

Latest