The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wzz
How very diplomatically put :wink:

A politician in the making, wouldn't you say :wink:
Reply 2221
Nikki J S
it doesn't give you all the answers, and just because someone is younger than you doesn't mean you have all the answers either!! :frown:

Gives you all that beer we mentioned earlier though

:biggrin:
Reply 2222
Nikki J S
A politician in the making, wouldn't you say :wink:

Hopefully not; stay a doctor!!
Wzz
Gives you all that beer we mentioned earlier though

:biggrin:

I can't argue with that kind of logic :biggrin:
Wzz
Hopefully not; stay a doctor!!

you're right; I don't think I'd make a good politician really :wink:
Reply 2225
Nikki J S
you're right; I don't think I'd make a good politician really :wink:

everyone has too much Honisty to be a politician :wink:
Wzz

It will help in that you'll know effects of controls. It'll help in that you know some of the basics of aerobatics. It won't help you with sortie management, emergencies, advanced aeros, most GH, powered circuits, formation, navigation, low flying, instrument flying............

Emergencies? i thought every viking flight was an emergency! as for helping with emergencies, surely dealing with a stricken aircraft at 100 or so feet will help in the fact you've gotta think fast. very fast. Formation? never been to my school then. oops. shouldn't say that!

Mark (any issues with what i wrote are down to drinking on christmas eve!)
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
Nikki J S
Well they've got to look the part haven't they :biggrin:

Do they turn up on a motorbike and wear a leather jacket covered in badges too :cool: :wink:

Oh yer, back to the ATC thing.. What is the ranking system there? I was talking to a friend who was in the army cadets, and when i said i was joining the air cadets, he said ill probably be under someone younger than me (as im joining late) so how does this all work in the ATC (ranks and the like)?

Cheers, Jamie

Merry Christmas everybody! :smile:
Reply 2228
carrierlanding
Formation? never been to my school then. oops. shouldn't say that!

No, you really shouldn't!! Had a look at JSP550's advice on unauthorised formation recently; as in it's worse than treason?

Don't do it; really don't; there're a lot of good reasons why people shouldn't be doing formation unless authed...
Reply 2229
Nikki J S
Maybe so, but 'It's not my fault I don't know things' is insulting as I believe I have as good a knowlege about the RAF, and the branch I'm applying for, as anyone here (Wzz excluded). And being spoken about as a 'kid' who needs to ask questions to learn things is both patronising and uncalled for. :frown: As I said earlier, reaching 18 is a number, it doesn't give you all the answers, and just because someone is younger than you doesn't mean you have all the answers either!! :frown:

Hang about I wasn't saying you!!! I'm on about people who are 14, 15 just joining the ATC and I was defending them! I didn't even realise you considered yourself a 'kid'! sorry for any offense. Just saying if someone doesn't know soething and they're young then you can't blame them, i'm not saying if someone is young that they can't posibly know something.
Jamie_JAGGERS
Oh yer, back to the ATC thing.. What is the ranking system there? I was talking to a friend who was in the army cadets, and when i said i was joining the air cadets, he said ill probably be under someone younger than me (as im joining late) so how does this all work in the ATC (ranks and the like)?

It is fairly similar to the RAF, starting off with Corporals, Sergeant and Flight Sergeants. Cadet Warrant Officers (CWOs) are on Regional Appointment after a 30+ minute Interview with the Wing Commander and some of his staff.

The other ranks are left to the discretion of the Squadron Commander, who hopefully consults his staff for their recommendations and opinion (and they should also ask the Senior NCOs for their two-penneth worth!)

Promotion is usually (and i say usually as if we read above, it is certainly not consistent across the organisation) gained on merit AND potential. We don't expect these kids to have all the qualities of an NCO, but the potential to learn some of the qualities. It is often said that you can't learn to be a good leader; it's an in-built quality. I don't believe in that at this level. I certainly taught my NCOs and made sure the staff did as well, that teamwork, communication (including listening) and praise are essential qualities. At this level i certainly hope they take these on board, and that with time and experience they develop into good leaders.

My NCOs I wanted them to be able to demonstrate a level of confidence, that showed potential. Even the quietest of people can sometimes give the smallest glimmer, and if you see that then you jump on it, and tease it out. Not to the point where they are *******ing people LR&C, but instead not afraid of getting up in front of 60 of their piers, plus assorted staff, officers and guests to deliver a speech or something similar.

I’ve had Cadets join, who showed maturity so much, that at the drop of a hat i would promote them over someone with 2/3 yrs service. Yes, it’s unpopular but if you put it in the context of the overall picture and the benefit to the Sqn, then it works (eventually). Some may leave, but if they get all pissy over this, then what are they going to be like in real life, not just the RAF.

Having balls, doesn't necessarily mean you are the mutts nuts!
Wzz
No, you really shouldn't!! Had a look at JSP550's advice on unauthorised formation recently; as in it's worse than treason?

Don't do it; really don't; there're a lot of good reasons why people shouldn't be doing formation unless authed...

We don't get that close! lol. except in a thermal maybe, but only cos we are a bunch of males desperately trying to keep it up.... :smile:
Jamie_JAGGERS

Cheers, Jamie

Merry Christmas everybody! :smile:

Have a look on here http://www.aircadets.co.uk/ it should tell you what you need to know :smile:
Vladek
Hang about I wasn't saying you!!! I'm on about people who are 14, 15 just joining the ATC and I was defending them!

Then perhaps you shouldnt use the words 'them' (meaning 'kids' in the ATC), and 'you' (as in the post being addressed to me), interchangeably!

Vladek
I didn't even realise you considered yourself a 'kid'! sorry for any offense. .

I don't, that's the whole point of my response :rolleyes:
Reply 2234
Nikki J S
Then perhaps you shouldnt use the words 'them' (meaning 'kids' in the ATC), and 'you' (as in the post being addressed to me), interchangeably!

I don't, that's the whole point of my response :rolleyes:

you really are quiet sensitive aren't ya!
Vladek
you really are quiet sensitive aren't ya!

This isn't the place for personal remarks, so I won't respond. Out of consideration for others who post here, let's just move the thread on!
Reply 2236
carrierlanding
We don't get that close! lol. except in a thermal maybe, but only cos we are a bunch of males desperately trying to keep it up.... :smile:

That's alright then. In which case I revert to my original comment that you'd still need to learn formation the normal way then :tongue:
Wzz
That's alright then. In which case I revert to my original comment that you'd still need to learn formation the normal way then :tongue:

I seriously can't wait, though i've got to get in first! Then i can wear expensive sunglasses and walk around with rolled up sleeves on my flying suit during the week too! :smile:

So is flying training harder than the up hill near impossible struggle to get into the RAF?
Reply 2238
No, you can't. Never seen any pilots wearing sunglasses to work unless they've driven or cycled in, for fear of looking like a tool. You can wear them at airshows, and only roll your sleeves up when it's hot :wink:

Flying training's quite hard, but it's very individual. I found some bits needed work, I breezed through other bits barely thinking. Others struggled; some people were chopped on things I could do in my sleep, some people could do in their sleep things I had to work at. Overall it's hardly insurmountably if you've got good aptitude and good attitude.
Reply 2239
Gone a bit quiet. Either you're all on holiday, you're all at OASC, or you've decided you can't be arsed to join the RAF after all.

Or those cuts have come through, and when I go back to work in Janurary I'll be the only one left.........? :rolleyes:

Latest