The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dirts
Yeah, maybe he was confused between 60 IPS and 6 pilots per year. I know the figure has reduced from 60, but I don't think it's been reduced tenfold!

£6000??!! Is it really that much?! I can't see how, the accommodation is free, the food costs very little to them, the facilities are established - the only thing that is really costing them is the manning...

By the way, what is a 3rd-Dan balck belt in Jiu Jitsu?

I suppose if you take all the overheads (including manning) and apportion them to the number of candidates that go through each year it's probably fairly accurate. I think you might also have to apportion some of the AFCO costs to that figure as well?
Reply 3741
Nikki J S
I suppose if you take all the overheads (including manning) and apportion them to the number of candidates that go through each year it's probably fairly accurate. I think you might also have to apportion some of the AFCO costs to that figure as well?

Yes, I heard that figure quoted as the approx overall cost of running OASC divided by the number of candidates per annum.

By the way, what is a 3rd-Dan balck belt in Jiu Jitsu?

Point noted...can't be arsed to change my profile though! :cool:
Thanks for the information Andy, it is very much appreciated!!

I've heard from 3 different people the pilot intake this year is around 115. To be honest it wouldn't bother me if i were 1 or 1,000. If I'm wanted for the job I will get selected....eventually! Its almost irritating when people post things like that user saying the RAF know who they want as pilots 5 years in advance and they take on 6 a year. Indeed, 4 UAS students were taken on as pilot last year but there were a great many more. Quite a few people who take sponserships even go on to turn the job down in their final year and pay the money back. I know of 3 people who intend to do just that!
Reply 3743
BlackHawk
Thanks for the information Andy, it is very much appreciated!!

I've heard from 3 different people the pilot intake this year is around 115. To be honest it wouldn't bother me if i were 1 or 1,000. If I'm wanted for the job I will get selected....eventually! Its almost irritating when people post things like that user saying the RAF know who they want as pilots 5 years in advance and they take on 6 a year. Indeed, 4 UAS students were taken on as pilot last year but there were a great many more. Quite a few people who take sponserships even go on to turn the job down in their final year and pay the money back. I know of 3 people who intend to do just that!

I'd agree with out, doesnt matter where I am number wise, if im selected then the must think me good enough to go forward to IOT. If Im not then im not good enough.
You've pretty much backed up what I said about people and situations changing after the time at uni. Things really can chance, could be a change of heart over career or things do a different direction once going towards raf and maybe move to ground based role (say if the eyesight packed up in those few years)
Reply 3744
raf peeps...

do any of you have the air power cd-rom?

i got one from an ex provost bod but i've since asked officers about it and they haven't a clue!!

supposedly everyone gets one so they have accurate information about history etc, but now i'm not sure...
medic_bex
raf peeps...

i got one from an ex provost bod but i've since asked officers about it and they haven't a clue!!

supposedly everyone gets one so they have accurate information about history etc, but now i'm not sure...

I've got a few on the history of the RAF's Air Power (up until 2004) but it doesn't sound like the one you're wanting;sorry. Someone on here probably will though :smile:
Reply 3746
medic_bex
raf peeps...

The only CDROM I have been given is the Cranwell IOT one.
I guess that *if* I have passed my filter interview (Still waiting to hear), I will have to go up and ask them for any other CD's they may have as none have been offered.
ricurtis
I guess that *if* I have passed my filter interview (Still waiting to hear), I will have to go up and ask them for any other CD's they may have as none have been offered.

Didn't you get the OASC one as well? I thought that was standard issue too. I'm sure you could easily get it from your AFCO if you wanted to. :smile:
Reply 3748
Nikki J S
Didn't you get the OASC one as well? I thought that was standard issue too. I'm sure you could easily get it from your AFCO if you wanted to. :smile:

No.. They played that to me in the 10 minutes while I waited for my filter interview but said they dont generally give it out.
I guess it must vary from AFCO to AFCO. Me thinks I will have to go and grab some of this stuff if I am to go to cranwell - I was simply led to believe it isnt to be given out !
Yeah, a lot of things seem to differ from AFCO to AFCO, feedback following filter interview being one of them. And at my AFCO the OASC dvd's were given out as standard. If you can't get it from your own AFCO, pm me and I'll see if I can get you one from mine. Failing that I could save it to my pc and try forward a copy (don't where I'd stand copyright wise, so will have check that first). :smile:
medic_bex
raf peeps...

Bex, just found a fantastic forum for med studes/wannabe med studes, you should check it out www.admissionsforum.co.uk I'm thinking of starting an RAF thread for MO/medical staff entry :smile:
topdog
It should be noted that there are only about 6 to 8 NEW pilots each year. The licklyhood of becomming one is very, very low so dont get your hopes up. The RAF knows who those 6 to 8 pilots will be, those which have been sponsored through University. In other words they already know who they will take on five years before they do.

Um well considering there are at least 16 that I know of starting IOT next week i'm pretty confident that those figures are rubbish. 14 of whom havent gone to uni, me being one
Reply 3752
Nikki J S
Bex, just found a fantastic forum for med studes/wannabe med studes, you should check it out www.admissionsforum.co.uk I'm thinking of starting an RAF thread for MO/medical staff entry :smile:

you do know i'm already a med student right? still, looks good, i'll check it out. our own thread seems like a good idea but somehow i get the impression it'd just be us chattin all the time!! :biggrin:
medic_bex
you do know i'm already a med student right? still, looks good, i'll check it out. our own thread seems like a good idea but somehow i get the impression it'd just be us chattin all the time!! :biggrin:

Yeah, a med stude friend of mine posts on there and told me about it. Half the people on there are current med studes, and the other half are wannabes at various stages of the application process. A bit like here, only more of a balance. :wink: And we can work on the studes re the RAF :biggrin:
Reply 3754
There are 2 placements for pilot in the next 18 months in the air force- this is a fact. Still think you stand a chance at OASC? Im sure the chances of becoming a nuclear physicist are much higher, maybe a career change is appropriate?

ha ha ha...sorry, ive met more wannabee pilots than I can handle, all but one have made me laugh.

Good luck at OASC....all.....8 or so parts...not to mention good luck on IOT....all 20 weeks (yes, now split into 3 sections of 10..do your studying if your confused)...then good luck on your elementary flying training....etc...etc...
White
There are 2 placements for pilot in the next 18 months in the air force- this is a fact. Still think you stand a chance at OASC?

Do you have a source for these facts? As I said there are 16 pilots starting the 24 week IOT next week and I have met another 6 starting at the end of May.

good luck on IOT....all 20 weeks (yes, now split into 3 sections of 10..do your studying if your confused)...then good luck on your elementary flying training....etc...etc...

The 30 week IOT doesn't start until November. But you will already know this if you have done your studying.

Im sure the chances of becoming a nuclear physicist are much higher, maybe a career change is appropriate?

Also, if you have the intelligence it's quite easy to become a nuclear physicist since they are crying out for them at the moment.
Reply 3756
White
There are 2 placements for pilot in the next 18 months in the air force- this is a fact. Still think you stand a chance at OASC? Im sure the chances of becoming a nuclear physicist are much higher, maybe a career change is appropriate?

No, that's not a fact, it's a complete crock of *****. The ITT for this year is hovering around the 100 mark; that's a fact. If you've got nothing more constructive to add, then sod off. I'm sure that if there were 2 slots people would still think they had a chance; that's the sort of people we like to recruit!

White
ha ha ha...sorry, ive met more wannabee pilots than I can handle, all but one have made me laugh.

Good luck at OASC....all.....8 or so parts...not to mention good luck on IOT....all 20 weeks (yes, now split into 3 sections of 10..do your studying if your confused)...then good luck on your elementary flying training....etc...etc...

Funny, everyone on the front line right now started out as a wannabe pilot. Do they make you laugh? Every time a post like this appears, it tends to be from someone a bit jealous that other people are making steps towards a career they'd like but can't do...
Reply 3757
ricurtis

Hey, I'm in the most recent IOT video :wink:
Reply 3758
dirts
Yeah, maybe he was confused between 60 IPS and 6 pilots per year. I know the figure has reduced from 60, but I don't think it's been reduced tenfold!

Went to 45, now slipping a little further south, probably to 40. We're not sure if that includes the Navy FJ mates though...!
Reply 3759
any1 know the liklyhood of the pilots per year figer rising back 2 60 or thereabouts in the futer?

Latest