pilot measurements:

Height: 1575mm-1905mm
Weight: 56.6kg-96.5kg
reach: 720mm min
sitting height: 865mm-990mm
buttock-knee: 560-660mm
buttock-heel: 1000-1200mm

excellent, cheers

i won't worry about it until i get there because i have no idea how to measure myself accurately.

i may just be on the border line though, i think i am about 1900mm or somewhere close :frown:

wish i wasn't so bloody tall, i banged my head really badly on a solid concrete doorframe in my basement this morning. Really hurt but no pERmaneeeentt daaammmagee.

Cal
mankyscot2
excellent, cheers

i won't worry about it until i get there because i have no idea how to measure myself accurately.

i may just be on the border line though, i think i am about 1900mm or somewhere close :frown:

wish i wasn't so bloody tall, i banged my head really badly on a solid concrete doorframe in my basement this morning. Really hurt but no pERmaneeeentt daaammmagee.

Cal

yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe shave your head and slouch once you get there :p:

Luckily I fall right in the middle of all the measurements, which is nice!
yeah, you have nothing to worry about in that area then.

i have just been speaking to my mates and they think i should start doing heavy weights in the gym to shrink my spine and that i should hope to god that my medical is in the evening so that my bones shrink a bit during the day. J.K. :wink:

do you want to be a fast jet pilot or are you interested in all of the pilot positions. And if you got selected to be a fast jet pilot what would be your ideal aircraft?

mine would have to be either the harrier or the tornado (swing wings are ace)

cal
mankyscot2

i have just been speaking to my mates and they think i should start doing heavy weights in the gym to shrink my spine and that i should hope to god that my medical is in the evening so that my bones shrink a bit during the day. J.K. :wink:

do you want to be a fast jet pilot or are you interested in all of the pilot positions. And if you got selected to be a fast jet pilot what would be your ideal aircraft?

cal

Cal, what did you think of the Manchester AFCO ? Who did you speak to when you were there?
Reply 3985
BlackHawk
yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe shave your head and slouch once you get there :p:

Luckily I fall right in the middle of all the measurements, which is nice!

I shouldn't bother; they'll push the reading thing down to your scalp anyway, and if you've shaved your head you'll probably look a bit grim for the interview :wink:

Also, don't slouch, or when you eject your back'll break in 184 places.

Edited to mention you don't technically need to eject during the anthropomorphic measurements at OASC. I'm tired, apologies for posts not making sense...
mankyscot2

cal

FJ all the way :smile: I would take anything offered but not before I gave EFT my all. I'd probably be interested in the GR4 or F3 possibly the typoon when it comes into full service. After all tornados aren't going to be around forever. I think flying a hawk would be great in its own right though.
Reply 3987
Bloody pilots, smug genetically perfect sods :wink:
Reply 3988
Pete_(LP)
I'm just wondering what classes as good eyesight, i used to wear glasses but i havnt worn them since primary skewl :biggrin: I've tried to find out so i could decide wether to try as pilot??
pete

You can always try, just be prepared to be disappointed if you're not at 6/6 standard. And if you write "skewl" in your application, expect to find it in the bin :rolleyes:
Reply 3989
ThomA2
Leadership is perhaps the most difficult experience to get, but it's easy enough to demonstrate if you put your mind to it.

Good luck

Not necessarily worth worrying about that much either. Remember, apparently no-one's born a leader, you're moulded into one at IOT. No-one'll be expecting you to have led too much by the time you arrive at OASC.
Reply 3990
mankyscot2
excellent, is a small world, yeah my uncle is an adult instructor for that squadron. I will be getting my interview in dundee as it is more accessable from my mums in montrose or my dads in arbroath. I am hoping to be moving back up to scotland mid june after my exams.

what stage are you at in your application and what do you do currently, i.e. Uni, work or travel?

Cal

Dont know if you've been viewing the raf chat thread or not but i've been posting in there about me joining the ATC as an adult volinteer. been going for 3 weeks now :eek:
Thats for Leven Sqn anyway, but if you joined up at montrose that would make you under the same wing as im in anyway!

Have you visited the dundee afco yet? I've been over a couple of times anyway.
Oh, btw, your in the middle of the age groups for this section, im one of the older farts at 24 (25 this time next month :frown: ) it seems :wink:

Oh, and whats with the sigs with that love smiley in it!!!!!!! :wink:
Scorg
Dont know if you've been viewing the raf chat thread or not but i've been posting in there about me joining the ATC as an adult volinteer. been going for 3 weeks now :eek:
Thats for Leven Sqn anyway, but if you joined up at montrose that would make you under the same wing as im in anyway!

Oh, btw, your in the middle of the age groups for this section, im one of the older farts at 24 (25 this time next month :frown: ) it seems :wink:

yeah i read something about that, how is it going?

this website is awesome, i have been meaning to get in touch with one prospective or accomplished pilot and now i have loads which i may even be at IOT with. This is great, i really hope that you are the people i will be training and flying with in the future.

i have been to Dundee AFCO twice and met with the SCLO there once, he is a nice but firm chap and he knows what he is on about, i think he used to be one of the assessors at cranwell but i may have heard wrong.

are you already a pilot then? I mean if you are 24

Cal
Wzz
Not necessarily worth worrying about that much either. Remember, apparently no-one's born a leader, you're moulded into one at IOT. No-one'll be expecting you to have led too much by the time you arrive at OASC.

you do have to show that you have leadership qualities at OASC though. Like trying to get 10 people from A-B with a bucket and piece of string. Even if its impossible the officers at cranwell want to see how you cope and that you never give up and never let other take over, although you have to show that you are willing to take ideas from other members of your group.

i love those exercises, did them in beavers, cubs, scouts, ATC

cal
BlackHawk
FJ all the way :smile: I would take anything offered but not before I gave EFT my all. I'd probably be interested in the GR4 or F3 possibly the typoon when it comes into full service. After all tornados aren't going to be around forever. I think flying a hawk would be great in its own right though.

yeah Typoon would be ace.

don't think i would say no to anything at the moment, hawks are neat little things, is it true that at the end of Fast Jet training you are put up against tornados and you have to have a dummie dog fight top gun stylie?

p.s. i like JSF too

Cal
cwarranto
Cal, what did you think of the Manchester AFCO ? Who did you speak to when you were there?

I thought the manchester AFCO was a bit short with me.

i spoke to a woman before christmas in there and i'm not sure which rank she was. I felt like she was interviewing me, do you know this, do you know that, i just felt a bit shitty afterwards like i was wasteing their time.

don't get me wrong, i actually didn't know anything at that point and i should have at least looked at the RAF website before going but i was only going in to find out information not to get the third degree.

anyway, scottish people are more friendly than english people, its a fact, and i have decided that if i am moving back to scotland anyway, then i will just continue my application back home.
im thinking about joining the RAF after uni as a legal officer but i dont really known what im getting my self into. My perants think its a great idea cos i come from a servce family army on my muns side navy on my dads going back more than 4 generation on each so the views im getting are a LITTLE one sided. So if anyone has any info on the RAF- the training etc then please reply or PM me
Scorg

I didn't know it was under the same wing. That will be three of us then. :smile:

I think the love smilie is quite cute actually :wink:
mankyscot2
you do have to show that you have leadership qualities at OASC though. Like trying to get 10 people from A-B with a bucket and piece of string. Even if its impossible the officers at cranwell want to see how you cope and that you never give up and never let other take over, although you have to show that you are willing to take ideas from other members of your group.

i love those exercises, did them in beavers, cubs, scouts, ATC

cal

that is the bit I'm not looking forward to! If we're both on the stonehaven ATC though I'm sure we could use some cadets to practice pre OASC briefs on :biggrin:
mankyscot2
yeah Typoon would be ace.

don't think i would say no to anything at the moment, hawks are neat little things, is it true that at the end of Fast Jet training you are put up against tornados and you have to have a dummie dog fight top gun stylie?

p.s. i like JSF too

Cal

I've never heard that one before! I know that FCs have something like that where they have to control 2 sets of fast jets in a live mission. Hawks would be great, though we would be flying the 128 (if we got that far) by the time we finish EFT and Linton. 128 will be bigger, faster and alot of fun in my opinion. As for the JCF, they don't really float my boat to be honest!
Reply 3999
mankyscot2
yeah i read something about that, how is it going?

this website is awesome, i have been meaning to get in touch with one prospective or accomplished pilot and now i have loads which i may even be at IOT with. This is great, i really hope that you are the people i will be training and flying with in the future.

i have been to Dundee AFCO twice and met with the SCLO there once, he is a nice but firm chap and he knows what he is on about, i think he used to be one of the assessors at cranwell but i may have heard wrong.

are you already a pilot then? I mean if you are 24

Cal

ATC is going fine, Im enjoying it anyway :smile:
I can waffle about aircraft now and not bore people to death for once :wink:

You've met a different person then me up at dundee. I met a Corporal who I felt as if she was trying to talk me out of the door! But that wasnt going to stop me anyway.

Im not a pilot. Not in the raf yet, wont be applying until next year at the earliest. Also my eyesight is far too bad to be a pilot :frown: So only thing i'll get to fly is the mahogany desk!

Latest