Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 1J2)
Hi, I have just been reading this and it seems as though there are some pretty experienced people in here and i was hoping to ask for some advice about any extra things I should be doing and what my chances are of getting into the RAF as a pilot.I am currently at Newcastle university studying mathematics with finance, A-levels: three A's in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, my GCSEs are 2 A stars 4 As, 3Bs and 1 C (in English language), in terms of extra curricular activities: at university i started playing mens lacrosse and am currently second team captain, At school i played rugby at fullback, I have done the same for a club, And was on the first team for swimming and got half colours, outisde of school and university oi have competed in tetrathlons (shooting(pistol),swimming,runni ng and horse riding) and captained the northern England junior team at 16. Any advice would be very helpful, Thankyou!
Were you in the air cadets? If not, why not? (It's not a problem, but you'll be asked)

Since you're at university, are you in the UAS? If not, why not? (Again, it's not something that will exclude you, but you will be asked about it)
1J2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Were you in the air cadets? If not, why not? (It's not a problem, but you'll be asked)

Since you're at university, are you in the UAS? If not, why not? (Again, it's not something that will exclude you, but you will be asked about it)
I see, I wasn’t in the air cadets nor am I in the UAS, I was in the CCF at school and I will look at joining the UAS, Thankyou very much!
1J2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
As you'll be applying to be an officer you need to be showing your leadership potential, much more so than taking part in sports, and that is done by taking on positions with responsibility. Within sport, it's not something you have to play, it can be a committee position - treasurer, fixtures manager, organise a charity match? And look outside of sports: volunteering, mentoring, help with uniformed organisations, eg cadets or scouts, part-time job in the holidays?

The sooner you start doing this, the better; it doesn't look good when people have taken on extra activities a few weeks before they apply to the RAF. Just keep the right balance between studies and any extra-curricular stuff; a good degree may be something you need to fall back on if the RAF application doesn't work out. Good luck!
Very helpful yes I should’ve said I am currently a committee member for lacrosse this involves going to meetings and making decisions etc however i wouldn’t call it a leadership position, I will hopefully be changing roles next year if all goes to plan as a treasurer, In terms of volunteering, cadets etc I did expect that to be very helpful and I am going I look into working this around my time, Thankyou very much! Very helpful
SyZ7OC
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did you make it after the 15 years?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest