The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Out of interest, anybody who has done the bleep test, how long are you actually running for up to the pass level? I realise that its the turning and not so much the running that is the knackerer on those things but it would be quite helpful all the same to know how long you are at it.

OASC next monday, feeling quite eager about the whole thing, done quite well in preparation, feeling confident about the aptitude tests, on paper my background, achievments and interests would be pretty hard to match and im medically sound. But why oh why do i still get the feeling that i might not make the cut because i'm not from a RAF family, i'm not ex ATC or UAS and i didn't go to a public school? Or is this just reverse snobbery?
Reply 521
I'm in my AS level year and currently doing physics; giving it up for my A2's though, as I'm finding it very difficult.
Speed distance time calculations are OK with a calculator, at least - just remember the equation triangle :-D Mental arithmatic is something that can definately be practicsed to a degree - I think I'll try that method you told us about, using the map. If we have to do it in our heads though - does that mean decimal arithmatic? That could be tough.

As for worrying about not getting in because you're not of the right "background" - don't, mate! As far as I'm concerned, it's not even an issue. As ACM Stirrup said in the opening to the RAF yearbook;

"We recruit very good but not extrordinary people; then we provide them with the training and experience that allows them to reach extrordinary hights" - good people are found in public private schools, in ATC and outside ATC, in UAS and outside UAS.

I'm phoning my AFCO to ask for an appointment to talk about OASC etc., today. Hope I don't get nervous and sound like a twat.

Andy
Reply 522
BUMPFFICHH
Out of interest, anybody who has done the bleep test, how long are you actually running for up to the pass level? I realise that its the turning and not so much the running that is the knackerer on those things but it would be quite helpful all the same to know how long you are at it.

OASC next monday, feeling quite eager about the whole thing, done quite well in preparation, feeling confident about the aptitude tests, on paper my background, achievments and interests would be pretty hard to match and im medically sound. But why oh why do i still get the feeling that i might not make the cut because i'm not from a RAF family, i'm not ex ATC or UAS and i didn't go to a public school? Or is this just reverse snobbery?

Yes, it is reverse snobbery! and if you think like that you won' succeed. Be confident but not cocky, people were sent home for that reason alone. Be relaxed but not over familiar, people where also picked up on for that and also failed. The bleep test is truly the least of your worries. You just have to have guts. Forget the pass rate. You will only get a pass for getting that far. To get good you must get a whole set above the pass rate and to get excellent you muct exceed two levels above the pass. They are looking for you to push yourself to your limit and if you don't it will be noted. Just make sure you remain hydrated through the day and when it comes to the bleep test you survive it with guts and give it your all.
In terms of time the whole thing will last no more than 10/15 minutes and after its finished you can relax and enjoy a beer in the bar!

If you need any more help let me know. I only got back last week

Lou
anyone know when they are running the next OASC selection? Just passed my AFCO int yesterday and am quite proud of myself lol. it was easier that I thought.
Reply 524
_pb_boi
Thanks very much for the information, huggybear - really appreciate that, it was very useful :smile: Makes me a bit more sure of my own suitability, I think - just need some more activities; as you say, they focus on it a lot, then! :smile:

Loubou, sorry to hear about you not getting OASC - but, if you found the debrief useful, then you got something from it - are you trying again next year? You'll do it as long as you want to :smile:

How maths based was it?

Thanks. Am really positive about it today and will try again. The maths is probably quite simple for some people but its not simply doing the maths. You have a lot of information to digest in a short time. Practice being under time pressure. Its also problem solving, prioritising etc.... We had to work out which transport to get in a complicated scenario where we had no petrol and someone had an accident , we had to navigate bogs and cliffs etc..... You have to think logically and "outside the box". You will then be faced with some difficult and some stupidly easy individual questions. But the easy questions may sound easy, like "where are you?" and "who was driving", but with the time pressure and the first impression that details won't matter may mean you slip up. At the end you will all leave the scenario room and get called back for a 4 min intense questioning. They change the scenario and you have to come up with your own solution without your notes infront of you.

Lou
Reply 525
sublime_envy
anyone know when they are running the next OASC selection? Just passed my AFCO int yesterday and am quite proud of myself lol. it was easier that I thought.

Well done. Be proud, I was but remain focused. The initial interview is the easy bit. Infact I flew through the interview at OASC but its much much more than that. Read your notes on OASC and PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE.

Its increasingly more difficult to get in to the RAF as an Officer, the cuts they have made mean there are not recruiting the same numbers as they where. You will be up against strong competition. Make sure you are the best you can be.

use your positive mood to push you hard in your preparation.

good luck
Reply 526
That sounds pretty intense - thanks for the info there, duly noted! I'll practice under time pressure :smile:

I just got off the phone to my local AFCO; I asked about booking an appointment, but he offered to tell me it all over the phone. I think I might go and see them in person if I pass the filter interview, before OASC, though.

So he told me a lot of useful stuff about OASC, but also some other stuff - which has made me go back to my original dilemma; university or no university.

He told me that, basically, if I went through university, I'd have a higher starting pay because of the degree, but I'd get one chance, as by the time I come out, I'll be 22 anyway.
Alternatively, going straight in gives me 2 or 3 chances, he said (I thought max was 2? Please correct me). The bonus is, I can do all my university applications, so that if I'm rejected by the RAF, I can still have a career. The catch? The pay is a bit poorer.

Since I'm not going in for the pay, though, and because even if I was, I could always do a degree WITH the RAF and see my pay rise anyway, I'm now unsure, but leaning towards direct entry.

Please advise! ^_^

Edit: Two other things. Do they only take 3A students? I'm hoping for 2 A's and a B at A-level. And if I was to go in direct entry, when to get the ball rolling?

Andy.
Reply 527
I heard a rumour last night that one me of the initial officers training courses (133?) has been cancelled along with one for next year.

I can't find anything on the web - has anyone else heard this?

And if so, where?

Cheers
Mike
havent heard anything about IOTs being cancelled, where did you hear that? Thanks LouBou75. Have been studying for about 2 months intensly for my AFCO and I think I have another 2 months before OASC. I was clocking about 5 hours a day studying. Looking forward to my visit to RAF Boulmer before hand though.
Reply 529
sublime_envy
havent heard anything about IOTs being cancelled, where did you hear that? Thanks LouBou75. Have been studying for about 2 months intensly for my AFCO and I think I have another 2 months before OASC. I was clocking about 5 hours a day studying. Looking forward to my visit to RAF Boulmer before hand though.

I have been to around 6/7 RAF stations. They're great! Loved it. I went flying in a small two seater plane with a RAF pilot, loved that too. How many stations you been on?

_pb_boi
Edit: Two other things. Do they only take 3A students? I'm hoping for 2 A's and a B at AS-level. And if I was to go in direct entry, when to get the ball rolling?

Andy.

Hmmm.. not sure about that one matey. Like you said, your not joining for the pay so you could always join as a airman and work you way up. Well, me personal i think Uni is a waste of time. Get the RAF to pay for it ;-) hehe.
Reply 530
sublime_envy
havent heard anything about IOTs being cancelled, where did you hear that?

Someone said they read it in the latest edition of Airforce Monthly in an article covering Defence Cutbacks.
Reply 531
andy as far as i know, you have to have 2 a-level passes so 2 e's. i'm in the middle of my finals at uni and have had a ball. don't feel you have to choose between the raf an uni. it makes no difference to the raf at this stage but it is generally agreed that having a degree will help your promotion prospects later. i would go for a degree is i were - you won't regret it. have you thought about going for a scholarship or whatever they're called? that way you'd get the best of both worlds.

got oasc on june 22nd. starting to get worried now, especially as i'm still revising for finals. stress!!!!
Reply 532
Ryan - nah, university is great for maturity et al :smile: Look on the positives! ^_^

andy as far as i know, you have to have 2 a-level passes so 2 e's. i'm in the middle of my finals at uni and have had a ball. don't feel you have to choose between the raf an uni. it makes no difference to the raf at this stage but it is generally agreed that having a degree will help your promotion prospects later. i would go for a degree is i were - you won't regret it. have you thought about going for a scholarship or whatever they're called? that way you'd get the best of both worlds.

got oasc on june 22nd. starting to get worried now, especially as i'm still revising for finals. stress!!!!

Vikki, there's a couple of things here though.

The 2 A-level passes is the minimum; how many pilots do they take with 2 E's? It's not that they won't take me, it's that I'll be up against any number of people with all A's, excellent backgrounds and great extra-curricular interests. It's all relative, I guess.

As for university; until this morning, I was all set to go university, hopefully with a bursary, although thats not essential - the most attractive thing about the bursary is the guaranteed place in Officer Selection at the end, for me. That's a bonus. Problem is, as I was told this morning, if I fail, that's me... no time to retry, as I'll be too old for aircrew. That would suck.

If I go in as aircrew, I'll definately be getting a degree with the RAF anyway, absolutely no doubt about that - so my promotion opportunities should be the same as anyone with a degree, once I've achieved mine. Or at least, that's what I assume.

Again, if I've got anything wrong, please correct me, it's happened before!

Andy.
Im not at all sure about english results as Im scottish. I have never been to an RAF station although I have been to a US AF station and a Saudi Air Force Base. Yeah go figure. So I will be down in Boulmer at some point over the next month. May try and see about that June 22nd at OASC and see if it applies to me. My advice on that IOT thing would be to buy the magazine and remember that it is at the end of the day a news article and what do we remember about news? Believe nothing you hear and less of what you read. Call AFCO and find out first hand.
Reply 534
How about this? Hypothetically, just.

I could try applying for both university and direct entry, and if I don't get direct entry, apply after university?

andy.
Reply 535
_pb_boi
Ryan - nah, university is great for maturity et al :smile: Look on the positives! ^_^

Vikki, there's a couple of things here though.

The 2 A-level passes is the minimum; how many pilots do they take with 2 E's? It's not that they won't take me, it's that I'll be up against any number of people with all A's, excellent backgrounds and great extra-curricular interests. It's all relative, I guess.

As for university; until this morning, I was all set to go university, hopefully with a bursary, although thats not essential - the most attractive thing about the bursary is the guaranteed place in Officer Selection at the end, for me. That's a bonus. Problem is, as I was told this morning, if I fail, that's me... no time to retry, as I'll be too old for aircrew. That would suck.

If I go in as aircrew, I'll definately be getting a degree with the RAF anyway, absolutely no doubt about that - so my promotion opportunities should be the same as anyone with a degree, once I've achieved mine. Or at least, that's what I assume.

Again, if I've got anything wrong, please correct me, it's happened before!

Andy.

Well, to be honest mate i wouldn't worry about what grades you are up against. I think the RAF look at what personality you have and what you do with your spare time more than the grades. Obviously, the grades are always going to go in your favour. In your interview, just be yourself :smile:
Reply 536
Cheers mate, appreciate that :smile:

You're going in for aircrew, aren't you? Good luck with that :smile:

Regarding my extra-curricular activities, I think I'm all good. Speaking to the guy at the AFCO earlier, he said that NOT being in the ATC wouldn't count against me, though they do appreciate some experience of uniformed youth groups.

I'm picking up an application form tomorrow for a charity shop near me; though I'm sure no one here will believe when I say it, this really is as much as for me as it is for my application to the RAF - have wanted to this for a long time. The RAF is the catalyst that got me properly motivated to, that's all :smile:

Good luck with your application Ryan :smile:

andy.
Reply 537
_pb_boi
Cheers mate, appreciate that :smile:

You're going in for aircrew, aren't you? Good luck with that :smile:

Regarding my extra-curricular activities, I think I'm all good. Speaking to the guy at the AFCO earlier, he said that NOT being in the ATC wouldn't count against me, though they do appreciate some experience of uniformed youth groups.

I'm picking up an application form tomorrow for a charity shop near me; though I'm sure no one here will believe when I say it, this really is as much as for me as it is for my application to the RAF - have wanted to this for a long time. The RAF is the catalyst that got me properly motivated to, that's all :smile:

Good luck with your application Ryan :smile:

andy.

Not aircrew mate, just going to join as a airman, get a trade and work myself up that way. Its my own fault really, cause i always wanted to join as an officer, but i never really put 100% effort into my 6th form, probably get a C and a D/E for the two A levels and i've got two D's at AS. So, i think joining as a airman will be better for me at the moment and work my way up that way.

I was in the ATC, it was great - you should have joined mate. Well worth it, but like you said, it aint the end of the world if you were never in it. Im sure you will be fine.
_pb_boi
How about this? Hypothetically, just.

I could try applying for both university and direct entry, and if I don't get direct entry, apply after university?

andy.

I thought about that one but at AFCO they ask if you are applying to anything else. Saying you are applying to uni also may give them the impression that you are not 100% comitted to the RAF.
Reply 539
sublime_envy
I thought about that one but at AFCO they ask if you are applying to anything else. Saying you are applying to uni also may give them the impression that you are not 100% comitted to the RAF.

I never thought of that - good point.

Just lie - say your only applying to the RAF, then again the RAF can find out anything about anyone. So, you might wanna tell the truth lol.

hmm.... not sure!

Latest