The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rhys
What is the GR3 used for? i know the GR4 is for offensive and recon (GR4A).

You mean F3, it's a Defensive aircraft. Have a look at http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tornado_f.html for more details

Oh, and it's one of the aircraft being replaced by Typhoon (the other is the Jag)
Big Cheese
Cathy, do you reckon they always get the syndicates down to 18? Makes it nice and easy I guess for three groups of six.

Just a thought perhaps...

Yes it does seem convenient, but the Sqdn Ldr who did our brief on the first day said that if you were good enough you would go to Part 2, there was no numbers they had to get it down to. But then again, he could have lied :wink:
Reply 782
icklecathy
You mean F3, it's a Defensive aircraft. Have a look at http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tornado_f.html for more details

Oh, and it's one of the aircraft being replaced by Typhoon (the other is the Jag)

I know about the F3, as i read the post with GR3 in i was like 'What, what the f*ck is a GR3!' :smile:
icklecathy
Hey how's it going ?

So what trade have you decided to go for? I'm sure you mentioned something about a medical problem a while back, hope that's cleared up now!

haha yes I still have broken feet but I should have my casts off next week. It's not going to be a problem though as I don't have a fitness test to sit with the trades. It all done in training, so its fine! I'm going in as Aerospace Systems Operator, which is being recruited at the moment. I have been told on the sly from AFCO that I will hopefully be in basic training by September. Which would be nice! Then I could give you guys advice from behind enemy lines....
sublime_envy
haha yes I still have broken feet but I should have my casts off next week. It's not going to be a problem though as I don't have a fitness test to sit with the trades. It all done in training, so its fine! I'm going in as Aerospace Systems Operator, which is being recruited at the moment. I have been told on the sly from AFCO that I will hopefully be in basic training by September. Which would be nice! Then I could give you guys advice from behind enemy lines....

Haha, excellent news! If you could sly your way into RAF Cranwell and just put a gold star on my application that would be great :smile:

If I have a decision by September i'll be happy! Good luck !
The GR3/A is a Jaguar :rolleyes: it is used as an offensive fast jet with tactical recce capabilities as well as being used for air support.
icklecathy
Haha, excellent news! If you could sly your way into RAF Cranwell and just put a gold star on my application that would be great :smile:

If I have a decision by September i'll be happy! Good luck !

Well I will be near london so I could sneak my way across....either that or make friends with some big bosses :wink:
sublime_envy
Well I will be near london so I could sneak my way across....either that or make friends with some big bosses :wink:

Bet you don't sneak your way across as Halton is South of Cranwell on my map. :tongue:

Seriously though, best of luck at RTS, you'll love it. I did it when it was hard, not like now. Lol.
Hi. I would like to be a legal officer in the RAF and I can't seem to find much about what I need to join. I was wondering if anybody knows what I have to do after I've studied law at uni. Do I do basic training and do I have to be in good physical condition? Also do I live on the barracks or am I classed as a civilian working for the RAF? I'd be grateful for any help.
cHoCoHoLiC88
Hi. I would like to be a legal officer in the RAF and I can't seem to find much about what I need to join. I was wondering if anybody knows what I have to do after I've studied law at uni. Do I do basic training and do I have to be in good physical condition? Also do I live on the barracks or am I classed as a civilian working for the RAF? I'd be grateful for any help.

I don't know much, but I do know you have to be a fully qualified lawyer, you do a shorter version of IOT (Initial Officer Training), which I think is 8wks instead of 24. No you are def not a civvy! You sit a shorter version of selection, you won't do the aptitude tests, but you will have to do the interview, fitness test and part 2 group exercises.

You will be able to get more info from www.rafcareers.com or you local AFCO.
Reply 790
simon.h109

Can anyone tell me the way to tell the difference between a Tornado GR3 and GR4? Apart from the payload?? Someone reckoned it is something to do with the nosecone...? :confused:

Look at a picture of both together, the mosecone of the GR4 contains ground targeting radar and the F3 radar designed for tracking air targets. Consiquently the F3's nose is longer and thinner and the GR4 has a shorter fatter nose.

Also all GR4's have black nosecones and F3's light grey, infact F3's are light all round in general. Also if you look at the RAF logo on the side of the air craft they're different. They both have red centres, but the F3 being a deffence air craft has a light blue ring surrounding it and the GR4 being and attack aircraft has a dark blue ring round it.

There's also a GR4A, but they only real way to tell the difference between that and the GR4 is the tiny window just below the cockpit for the servalance equipment, which you'll never notice so don't worry about it.

Right I'm off for some HoB action, laters.
Weena_no9
Look at a picture of both together, the mosecone of the GR4 contains ground targeting radar and the F3 radar designed for tracking air targets. Consiquently the F3's nose is longer and thinner and the GR4 has a shorter fatter nose.

Also all GR4's have black nosecones and F3's light grey, infact F3's are light all round in general. Also if you look at the RAF logo on the side of the air craft they're different. They both have red centres, but the F3 being a deffence air craft has a light blue ring surrounding it and the GR4 being and attack aircraft has a dark blue ring round it.

There's also a GR4A, but they only real way to tell the difference between that and the GR4 is the tiny window just below the cockpit for the servalance equipment, which you'll never notice so don't worry about it.

Right I'm off for some HoB action, laters.

Weena that was a bit vague! :wink:
Reply 792
icklecathy
Weena that was a bit vague! :wink:

I can be more spacific if you like. :rolleyes:
Hi im new to this, and interested in becoming a pilot or WSO in the RAF. I am 16, and nervously awaiting my GCSE results. I am predicted 8 A-C grades, and have aready acheived A in English lit and a dual C's in ICT. The only subject i am predicted to fail is Electronics, at C/D level. I am aware that at least C is above is needed in maths, English and Science and i am predicted A/B in each of them. What i am worried about is if I fail any of them and then achieve the grades i need in a re-test will this count against me when i apply (of course assuming i go on and achieve 2 A-levels!!!!!) or should i just ask this at the interview i am preparing to book, just i think it might seem a bit negative! Also when i do have this initial interview should I dress formally?
Any advice would be great
Jamie_JAGGERS
Hi im new to this, and interested in becoming a pilot or WSO in the RAF. I am 16, and nervously awaiting my GCSE results. I am predicted 8 A-C grades, and have aready acheived A in English lit and a dual C's in ICT. The only subject i am predicted to fail is Electronics, at C/D level. I am aware that at least C is above is needed in maths, English and Science and i am predicted A/B in each of them. What i am worried about is if I fail any of them and then achieve the grades i need in a re-test will this count against me when i apply (of course assuming i go on and achieve 2 A-levels!!!!!) or should i just ask this at the interview i am preparing to book, just i think it might seem a bit negative! Also when i do have this initial interview should I dress formally?

I think failing and re-taking is ok so long as you end up with the right grades, I know I re-sat a few modules of my A-Levels ot get better grades. And if you get good A-Levels even better.

When you say interview is it just an informal chat with the AFCO? I'm assuming you are not applying yet becasue of your age so I don't think you need a suit or anything, just look clean and presentable.
Holy Smoke, you lot take no prisoners!!!!! Yes I did mean the F3 just a brain slump given a days lugging a skips load worth of building rubble down three flights of steps!!! Good for the legs but bad for the brain!!

Thanks to those who provided advice
Is anyone willing to take up my cash offer for aptitude questions before i go to oasc in (sh1t) 9 days now? :eek:

seriously mind, absolutely any advice regarding oasc is gratefully recieved, for axample does anyone know really good websites for current affairs and world news over the last 12 months
Jamie_JAGGERS

don't worry about it love. I didn't even do maths at school and was going to be going to OASC until I pulled out on my own accord. I had really weird results like Philosophy and Psychology. lol.
Tonyjones1980
Is anyone willing to take up my cash offer for aptitude questions before i go to oasc in (sh1t) 9 days now? :eek:

seriously mind, absolutely any advice regarding oasc is gratefully recieved, for axample does anyone know really good websites for current affairs and world news over the last 12 months

have you tired doing a google search? Have you tried going into the newspaper shops or writing to them for back issues? I found www.wn.com really helpful as it is an archive so you scroll through the stories at the top and the links take you to the different newpaper sites around the world. (caution some are interesting) My favorite story that I brought up was the JSF being scrapped due to the fact it couldn't land fully loaded as the landing gear would crush beneth it! Oh dear... :rolleyes:
simon.h109
Holy Smoke, you lot take no prisoners!!!!! Yes I did mean the F3 just a brain slump given a days lugging a skips load worth of building rubble down three flights of steps!!! Good for the legs but bad for the brain!!

Thanks to those who provided advice

think we're bad? Wait until you get to OASC

Latest