The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
NickNack
if i was to drop an AS now so i was only doing 3 (maths, phys and chem, dropping bio), how would the raf look on it when it came to OASC? would it count against me only taking 3 not 4?

Depends. What's your reason for dropping it? If you couldn't be arsed, it'll look bad. If it frees up time to get fit, personal development, learning a new sport, or something similar, it looks ok.

Never sat my CSYS exams in order to travel through North America before uni. The RAF loved that.
Reply 161
NickNack
Just dont forget the name of the IRA. I did that and felt a right prat :wink:

And if you do, don't bluff!!
Wzz
Never sat my CSYS exams in order to travel through North America before uni. The RAF loved that.

Wzz, i've spent the last 12 months travelling round the world, i'm hoping that it will really impress at Cranwell 'cos I didn't do DofE or join my UAS or anything like that.

Were they really interested?
Reply 163
icklecathy
Were they really interested?

Depends what you did and whether it resulted in some development. They seemed very happy that I did it for a few months before university, I imagine they'd be happy that you've done something adventurous and which broadens your views.

I don't expect you'll be asked more than a couple of cursory questions about it though.
Reply 164
id be dropping it simply because i cant cope with the workload that im getting. on thurs i was working 6-11pm, then got up at 6am next morning, working till 9am to get stuff finished ready to hand in. it wasnt a case of leaving stuff till the last minute. ive still got other stuff im doing reguarly - tennis, gym, cycling
Reply 165
That won't be a problem; explain it as you have then, and that'd be fine. If you have to work, fit in sports and extra curricular activites, and thought the extra AS was what had to give, it makes sense to me.
Reply 166
Dear Dale,

im considering the RAF and would like to test out the "Test Prep". i would be grateful if you could send me a copy.

Hardeep
Reply 167
hmy2k
Dear Dale,

im considering the RAF and would like to test out the "Test Prep". i would be grateful if you could send me a copy.

Hardeep

Ummm... I'm not 100% sure who Dale is, but what "test" are you referring to?
I've had my AFCO Filter Interview, and i'm pretty confident i'll be going to Cranwell for OASC sometime in April.

I'm working at the moment but i'm trying to think if there's anything I can do over the next 4 months to "better" myself - aside from keeping fit and doing my research I mean.

Any ideas anyone? I wish I had done my D of E at school, I couldn't do it now could I?
Reply 169
Cathy, as long you are under 25 (which you must be to apply to be a pilot) you can do your Dof E. However it takes quite while to do and you probably won't finish it before selection at OASC. There four parts to the award- Expedition, Skill, Service and Physical Recreation. For Bronze(the entry level) you need to do three months for the Skill, Service and Physical Recreation (Sport) and three extra months of one of them. You can start Gold (Top Level) but it will take you ages as you need to do something like 12 months for each if you have already acheived Silver and even more if you haven't. However if you are working towards an award it might get you extra Brownie points at OASC (ask Wzz). You can do the award through a number of operating authorities - local council outdoor education depatment, university club or the Scout Network (Venture Scouts) etc. For more info go to
www.theaward.org.uk or for the Scout Network to www.scouts.org.uk.
Reply 170
icklecathy
I've had my AFCO Filter Interview, and i'm pretty confident i'll be going to Cranwell for OASC sometime in April.

I'm working at the moment but i'm trying to think if there's anything I can do over the next 4 months to "better" myself - aside from keeping fit and doing my research I mean.

Any ideas anyone? I wish I had done my D of E at school, I couldn't do it now could I?

Cathy, I wouldn't worry too much about this sort of thing. When assessing a candidate, the board members look at gaps and opportunities. They're looking for any large time gaps when you didn't do anything; for example summers while at school, or the break between school and university. If you didn't do anything for 3 months, that looks bad. If you did some voluntary work, became an air cadet, learned to sail, anything, that looks good.

They also weigh up opportunities available to you against those you took. If your family is very well off and you've been on long holidays around the world, but never took an interest in local cultures or the chance to learn some sports or skills, that looks bad. If your family's poor and you never learned a single sport at school because you had to get a part time job to help, that's fine; they don't expect you to be superhuman.

Don't try and do something to improve your chances of passing the interview. From experience, it'll sound false. Do something you're interested in, for any reason, and it'll show the board that you're an intelligen person happy to try and take advantage of the opportunities available to you.
Hey i'm 14 and am thinking about a career as a Pilot in the RAF. At the end of this year they want to know which cadet section we want to join ( army, navy, RAF ). Does it help a lot to be a RAF cadet and will it please the interviewers if I choose to go for selection.

Hope someone can be of help.
Reply 172
Pink_Possum
Hey i'm 14 and am thinking about a career as a Pilot in the RAF. At the end of this year they want to know which cadet section we want to join ( army, navy, RAF ). Does it help a lot to be a RAF cadet and will it please the interviewers if I choose to go for selection.

Hope someone can be of help.

probably help if you koin the RAF, i figure you go to a private school. If you have time go and talk to your local recruiting station, they coul probably help.
Reply 173
This thread is getting really long and seeing a lot of people asking the same questions again as they don't read through the previous posts and replies. I am 16 and currently studying at College and am interested in becoming a Rotary Pilot. Can anyone tell me if this is much harder or easier than fast jet and how much of a say do you have about what section you get streamed into after the basic flight training?

Thanks, Ryan
RJW
I am 16 and currently studying at College and am interested in becoming a Rotary Pilot. Can anyone tell me if this is much harder or easier than fast jet and how much of a say do you have about what section you get streamed into after the basic flight training?

Ryan, I think you are streamed into whatever they pick you for. During Basic Flying Training you get marked on ability, the top pilots go to fast-jets, the next to multi-engine, then the bottom to rotary, although I wouldn't say that makes it easy! Think that's right but your local AFCO will tell you.

You also need to meet the strict medical requirements, such as eye sight, reach etc.
Reply 175
icklecathy
Ryan, I think you are streamed into whatever they pick you for. During Basic Flying Training you get marked on ability, the top pilots go to fast-jets, the next to multi-engine, then the bottom to rotary, although I wouldn't say that makes it easy! Think that's right but your local AFCO will tell you.

You also need to meet the strict medical requirements, such as eye sight, reach etc.

A good parody of ickle katy
Reply 176
icklecathy
Ryan, I think you are streamed into whatever they pick you for. During Basic Flying Training you get marked on ability, the top pilots go to fast-jets, the next to multi-engine, then the bottom to rotary, although I wouldn't say that makes it easy!

Technically speaking, the pecking order is jets, rotary, multis; but it's not as simple as best to jets, worst to multis. It depends on precisely why you're good or bad. Some excellent pilots won't be suited to jets due to a weakness in formation or navigation, but will make great helicopter pilots, and so on.
Reply 177
Unregistered
hey my e mail address is [email protected] iam attending the officer and aircrew selection at RAF cranwell next month and would appreciate any information that you could give me. Thankyou Rob

Hi there. My names greg,i am hopefully going to be attempting raf pilot selection at cranwell feb 04! I know the general outlines of the selection process, but would love to receive some helpful advice on the interview phase and overall how to prepare myself to be successful. My email is [email protected]. Thankyou GREG!
Reply 178
RJW
This thread is getting really long and seeing a lot of people asking the same questions again as they don't read through the previous posts and replies. I am 16 and currently studying at College and am interested in becoming a Rotary Pilot. Can anyone tell me if this is much harder or easier than fast jet and how much of a say do you have about what section you get streamed into after the basic flight training?

Thanks, Ryan

It's neither harder nor easier. Well, ask a jet pilot and we'll tell you rotary pilots are cack handed twats, and ask a rotary mate and he'll tell you jet pilots are arrogant idiots who don't know what real flying is. Horses for courses.

You don't get any say, unfortunately; you're sent where you're likely to perform best based on your Elementary training. You get to say where you'd prefer, but your streaming is based on a). Service needs b). Ability c). Preference.

If you're lucky, your QFI who writes your streaming report can maybe lean it towards your preferred stream, but I know a few guys who ended up on helicopters who were desperate for FJ, and I went through FJ training with a few guys desperate to go rotary...
Reply 179
I went to cranwell officer and aircrew selection for the RAF Pilot Scholarship. I passed the aptitude test with a very high competetive score and the medical was not a problem. However I failed the interview, basically I fell apart. I am going to go back again of course, its very annoying to know that the interview is the one thing everyone has total control over but I failed it! They said I needed to do more in spare time than Air Cadets. I did LOADS with the cadets (Leadership courses, GS, AGT, Staff cadet on VGS etc.) but to them it meant nothing. They will see you as a very limited person if everything you have done is with the ATC. However they are looking for people who have got involved in things, such as part time jobs, charity work and lots of sport, watching and playing. I am now thinking of going for a university bursary or perhaps a direct entry in a years time. Whatever I do I am going to make sure that if I fail, it will be something out of my control. Oh and I advise you know more about current affairs than I did also.

If anyone has been in my situation I would like to hear of your story of failiure and hopefully what you did to get in the second time. I am definatly going to re-apply, just not sure which route to take in because I want to make sure I have the most experience I can possibly have!

Latest