The Student Room Group

I'm going to be a teacher!

Well I had an interview a couple of weeks ago to do a Primary PGCE course at Northumbria Uni.
I rang them up today to see if they had made any decisions yet and they said I have been offered a place on the terms that I get a 2:1 in my degree. I can't believe it - I am so happy. This means if I get a 2:1 in July then I will be on my way to becoming a qualified teacher in September.
I can't wait - really can't. If all goes well this time next year I will be almost finished my teacher training and looking for a job!

So just thought I would share that with you all - especially since there is a teaching thread now!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congratulations on the offer and good luck in getting that 2:1 :biggrin: , I'm sure you'll have a great time being a teacher.

Have you applied anywhere else as well, or did you just apply to Northumbria University?
Reply 2
Lexic
Congratulations on the offer and good luck in getting that 2:1 :biggrin: , I'm sure you'll have a great time being a teacher.

Have you applied anywhere else as well, or did you just apply to Northumbria University?

I have applied for High Force SCITT as well. Had my interview the other day - but still waiting to hear from them. I know I didn't do as well at that one though - but still fingers crossed!

Are you wanting to go into teaching?
Glad someone replied to my thread - 22 views and only one reply - that is just rude!
Reply 3
Congratulations! I have little interest in teaching myself but though i'd reply so as not to be rude. :smile:
Reply 4
congrats!
Reply 5
awwwww :biggrin: congratulations!!!!
Yay, I'm so pleased for you!! :smile:
Reply 7
lynseyweth
Well I had an interview a couple of weeks ago to do a Primary PGCE course at Northumbria Uni.
I rang them up today to see if they had made any decisions yet and they said I have been offered a place on the terms that I get a 2:1 in my degree. I can't believe it - I am so happy. This means if I get a 2:1 in July then I will be on my way to becoming a qualified teacher in September.
I can't wait - really can't. If all goes well this time next year I will be almost finished my teacher training and looking for a job!

So just thought I would share that with you all - especially since there is a teaching thread now!

:biggrin:

I want to be a teacher too!
Reply 8
manps
I want to be a teacher too!

When do you do your teacher training? Or are you already doing it?
There is hardly anyone on here who wants to become a teacher! It's nice to find someone else who does!
Reply 9
Congrats i'll think you'll be a great teacher! What age/subject do you want to teach?
Reply 10
Congrats.
Reply 11
Sarky
Congrats i'll think you'll be a great teacher! What age/subject do you want to teach?

The PGCE covers the whole primary ages, but I prefer little ones. I have done most of my experience in reception class - I adore the cuteness of them!
So hopefully when I finally get a job I will teach Reception and Key Stage 1 although anything will do me!
Reply 12
I want to teach Alevel or GCSE Mathematics. I'm in my first year of uni at Bham doing Maths. I have 2 options from September, I can either continue at Bham and finish my degree in 2007 and then do my PGCE or I can transfer to another uni such as Manchester MET and start a new 2 yr degree frm sept with combined QTS and then become a teacher by june 07.
I save a year but will it help me in the long run? Do i get a rated degree or do i become a teacher quicker?
Reply 13
manps
I want to teach Alevel or GCSE Mathematics. I'm in my first year of uni at Bham doing Maths. I have 2 options from September, I can either continue at Bham and finish my degree in 2007 and then do my PGCE or I can transfer to another uni such as Manchester MET and start a new 2 yr degree frm sept with combined QTS and then become a teacher by june 07.
I save a year but will it help me in the long run? Do i get a rated degree or do i become a teacher quicker?

Is the degree a totally different degree that you would do at Manchester? I don't know anyone who has done this so I am unsure which is best. Personally I would go for the quicker option just to get it out the way with faster.
I just did a 3 year degree in Early Childhood and Curriculum Studies and then now I'm going to do a separate PGCE.
Whatever is best for you really. Good luck!
Reply 14
lynseyweth
Is the degree a totally different degree that you would do at Manchester? I don't know anyone who has done this so I am unsure which is best. Personally I would go for the quicker option just to get it out the way with faster.
I just did a 3 year degree in Early Childhood and Curriculum Studies and then now I'm going to do a separate PGCE.
Whatever is best for you really. Good luck!

The degree covers same ish material but Manc MET is a poo uni and bham is rated. I don't know how much schools are bothered tho :confused:
Reply 15
manps
The degree covers same ish material but Manc MET is a poo uni and bham is rated. I don't know how much schools are bothered tho :confused:

Well it can't be as bad as Sunderland Uni which is where I am getting my degree from!
I really don't think they look at where your degree is from they mainly consider the classification of your degree (I think).
Reply 16
manps

I would wait if I you can.
Well done and I have my fingers crossed for you!!!
I want to be a teacher! Although i'm only in year 12 so have a while to go yet....
Reply 19
I want to be a teacher too! (so glad it now has its own thread!) If i meet the offer, i'll be going to Roehampton Uni in Sept to do BA (Hons) Primary Education. :top:
(my insurance choice is Middlesex Uni for the same course - do u think i made a good choice having Roehampton as my firm?)

Latest

Trending

Trending