The Student Room Group

failing year 12

hi, i had a maths test today and did RLLLYY badly , is there hope for me to pass my maths mocks? also can my teachers prevent me from doing the mocks as I’ve already don’t so bad in all the tests i’ve had so far? I rlly love the other 2 subjects I take so don’t wanna retake year 12, is there any hope for me?
Reply 1
speak to your teachers about moving your predicted grades up? Since u have not done as well as u want in topic tests etc your going to have to do well in the mocks and do better at the other topic tests cuz teachers base predicted grades mostly with mocks and topic tests.
Original post by timoteechalamey
hi, i had a maths test today and did RLLLYY badly , is there hope for me to pass my maths mocks? also can my teachers prevent me from doing the mocks as I’ve already don’t so bad in all the tests i’ve had so far? I rlly love the other 2 subjects I take so don’t wanna retake year 12, is there any hope for me?

I’m not sure how it works at your school, but at mine if you failed one subject in your mocks you don’t have to resit the year. You’re good at the other two- which is amazing in year twelve. Make sure you pass those two and reach out to your teachers for as much help as possible. Even if you don’t do well in your mock, your teachers may be more likely to let keep you on because you really want to try- plus maths is hard! Don’t sweat it, just keep working at it and remember that they’re only year 12 mocks
Reply 3

Had the same issue back in sixth form, and honestly it was incredibly hard mentally because all my teachers had given up on me, and my psychology teacher was actually trying to get me off the alevel and drop to an AS as she didn't believe I could do it. Nor did I if im going to be completely honest, but then i proved them wrong in my actual exams and got more than what they had even expected of me.

Just try talking to your teachers, show them that you want help and you want to do well, I'm sure they'll give you resources or even extra time to help go through things with you if you just ask. I promise you it'll help and just trust yourself. Try also practising with classmates and if you struggle with a certain equation for example just ask them how they solve it and try to see their own techniques!

Don't give up and also please don't have a negative mindset about yourself and what you're capable of, I'm sure you'll be shocked at what you can truly achieve cause I sure was and I was also failing throughout sixth form! (btw they were also trying to get me to leave entirely at one point hahah). You've absolutely got this. Good luck though
Reply 4

a bit random but y11 student here I’ve been looking at lgs forums and I’ve seen u write abt tgem before and I was wondering do u go lgs bc I have an offer but idk if it’s worth it . What’s the environment like if u don’t mind me asking ?? ( if u do go here , if not just ignore thsi LOL )

Quick Reply

Latest