The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
gi.
very niceeee. nope, 2010 entry. im halfway through my military service already.. so yep 1 more year to go

yeah? wow, how's it like to be there? i mean the army
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
jy9626
It's okay. I used to regret so much about not having applied to LSE as well. But now im over with it.
As time passes, you'll get over it.
With AAB prediction, mmhm, tbh, i doubt you'd have gotten an offer. Yes, your lnat score's fairly good, but how was your essay? Your essay's equally important.

I have no idea how my essay was lol i did think that it went much better than the multiple choice (which i thought went BADLY) and i wrote quite a bit too
Yeah im a bit confused because i did get an AAA offer from QM with AAB prediction so hmm!
You're headed to Kings right?
I did like the look of QM but i don't want to give up the chance of going somewhere even better...

P.S In my reference it did say i was capable of getting AAA
Reply 62
FreshPrincess1
I have no idea how my essay was lol i did think that it went much better than the multiple choice (which i thought went BADLY) and i wrote quite a bit too
Yeah im a bit confused because i did get an AAA offer from QM with AAB prediction so hmm!
You're headed to Kings right?
I did like the look of QM but i don't want to give up the chance of going somewhere even better...

P.S In my reference it did say i was capable of getting AAA

I don't know well about a levels to be perfectly honest. im an ib-er, but since i go to tsr, i get to know a bit about a levels. so...
Yeah, im basically headed to King's, if my IB goes well. But if I mess up my IB, i'll be going to vancouver.
For Law, as far as i know, QMUL is good as well.
Reply 63
Mother of Christ why is everyone on this forum so utterly obsessed with perceived prestige which is, largely, peddled only on this forum anyway.

Look, the long and short of it is - you didn't apply, so you will never know. Having decided not to apply, you have secured an offer elsewhere. Now you are waivering because you think you are better than that and, therefore through logical extension, better than the people who are going to the university you have an offer at.

As I see it you have 2 choices, and it is only you who can decide. Either:

1) Accept you have a place at a uni that will give you a degree what will get you a job; or
2) Reapply next year after you have your results, include Kings in your application, and see where you go.

There is little point people going round in circles until you hear what it is you want to hear in order for you to justify to yourself taking option 2.
Ethereal
Mother of Christ why is everyone on this forum so utterly obsessed with perceived prestige which is, largely, peddled only on this forum anyway.

Look, the long and short of it is - you didn't apply, so you will never know. Having decided not to apply, you have secured an offer elsewhere. Now you are waivering because you think you are better than that and, therefore through logical extension, better than the people who are going to the university you have an offer at.

As I see it you have 2 choices, and it is only you who can decide. Either:

1) Accept you have a place at a uni that will give you a degree what will get you a job; or
2) Reapply next year after you have your results, include Kings in your application, and see where you go.

There is little point people going round in circles until you hear what it is you want to hear in order for you to justify to yourself taking option 2.

Well my dilemma is between options 1 and 2 that you have just written out!

And in NO way did I suggest that I'm better than those going to QM so I totally disagree with that

And i do know that it is my own decision and I shouldn't be seeking approval elsewhere but I just wanted a small bit of advice. I really don't think that's much to ask as it is what most people seem to do on tsr

Thanks anyway
Reply 65
FreshPrincess1
Well my dilemma is between options 1 and 2 that you have just written out!

And in NO way did I suggest that I'm better than those going to QM so i totally disagree with that

And i do know that it is my own decision and i shouldn't be seeking approval elsewhere but I just wanted a small bit of advice. I really don't think that's much to ask as it is what most people seem to do on tsr

Thanks anyway

What meaningful advice can you hope to get from people who are little if no further on than you are in their career? Especially as none of them have any idea what the admissions officers at King's will do.

You didn't suggest you are better than them, but it is strongly implied by your considering taking a year out and going to a "better" university.

I get so very frustrated at the constant rubbish I see posted on these fourms day in day out about prestige, opportunity and life prospects.

As I said, the long and short of it is that it is your decision and your conscience will dictate what is the right path for you.
Ethereal
What meaningful advice can you hope to get from people who are little if no further on than you are in their career? Especially as none of them have any idea what the admissions officers at King's will do.

You didn't suggest you are better than them, but it is strongly implied by your considering taking a year out and going to a "better" university.

I get so very frustrated at the constant rubbish I see posted on these fourms day in day out about prestige, opportunity and life prospects.

As I said, the long and short of it is that it is your decision and your conscience will dictate what is the right path for you.

Well apologies for adding to your frustration or offending you (if I somehow did)
Ethereal

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do better for yourself. Clearly going to King's is going to be more beneficial in the long run career wise due to its reputation for law. QMUL is a very good university for law, yes, but the fact of the matter is that King's has a better reputation. Neither is there anything wrong with getting some opinions from other people as to whether to re-apply next year.

Also, even though it has no relevance now, and even though we are at the same stage in our careers as her, it is possible that there are people on these forums who have been given offers/rejections with AAB predictions.
simon12345
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do better for yourself. Clearly going to King's is going to be more beneficial in the long run career wise due to its reputation for law. QMUL is a very good university for law, yes, but the fact of the matter is that King's has a better reputation. Neither is there anything wrong with getting some opinions from other people as to whether to re-apply next year.

Also, even though it has no relevance now, and even though we are at the same stage in our careers as her, it is possible that there are people on these forums who have been given offers/rejections with AAB predictions.

Thank u! :biggrin:
Reply 69
simon12345

And therein lies the problem. There is no "fact of the matter". You can not speak to the mind of the future recruiter or their opinion on the institution. Peddling such things as "fact" is a self-perpetuating cycle that leads to dozens of threads year in and year out on this forum from anguished students who feel their entire career is shafted because they didn't get in to a university that TSR has decreed factually as better/more prestigious etc.
Ethereal
And therein lies the problem. There is no "fact of the matter". You can not speak to the mind of the future recruiter or their opinion on the institution. Peddling such things as "fact" is a self-perpetuating cycle that leads to dozens of threads year in and year out on this forum from anguished students who feel their entire career is shafted because they didn't get in to a university that TSR has decreed factually as better/more prestigious etc.

Dude relax, please..:p:
Ethereal

I knew you were going to say something along those lines. :smile:

I'm not trying to, but ask any recruiter and I guarantee the majority will say that King's has a better reputation. See this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

Attending King's rather than QMUL could be the difference between whether or not a person makes it into the Magic Circle. Of course, which university you attend is only part of the process in which will dictate whether or you will make it as a successful lawyer, but nevertheless it is an important one which can enhance future career prospects.

And no, I do not only get my knowledge from TSR. I know a few very successful lawyers (including my cousin and my teacher) who have said the same thing.
Reply 72
simon12345
I knew you were going to say something along those lines. :smile:

I'm not trying to, but ask any recruiter and I guarantee the majority will say that King's has a better reputation. See this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

Attending King's rather than QMUL could be the difference between whether or not a person makes it into the Magic Circle. Of course, which university you attend is only part of the process in which will dictate whether or you will make it as a successful lawyer, but nevertheless it is an important one which can enhance future career prospects.

And no, I do not only get my knowledge from TSR. I know a few very successful lawyers (including my cousin and my teacher) who have said the same thing.

You can't guarantee what the majority of recruiters will think. You can't even guarantee what one will think. Even if you do know successful lawyers, and I have no reason to doubt you do, you can only know what they tell you. It isn't objective by any stretch.

I note the irony in you linking to a TSR post whilst arguing this isn't a self-perpetuating TSR myth.
Ethereal
You can't guarantee what the majority of recruiters will think. You can't even guarantee what one will think. Even if you do know successful lawyers, and I have no reason to doubt you do, you can only know what they tell you. It isn't objective by any stretch.

I note the irony in you linking to a TSR post whilst arguing this isn't a self-perpetuating TSR myth.

Which is why I said, 'no I do not only get my knowledge from TSR'. Plus, that post is from someone who has a lot of experience in the field away from TSR.
Reply 74
Ethereal

Lawz is a guy who graduated with a first at King's and is now doing his BCL at Oxford.

He's a reliable source.
Reply 75
simon12345
Which is why I said, 'no i do not only get my knowledge from TSR'. Plus, that post is from someone who has a lot of experience in the field.

How do you know they have experience? Unless they are personally known to you. This then goes back to the same point I made originally. It is not objective fact, and posting as such has dangerous repercussions for other people.

I have no problem with people saying something is their opinion if they make it plain that's all it is, I have a large problem with people stating something is objective fact when it isn't.
Ethereal
How do you know they have experience? Unless they are personally known to you. This then goes back to the same point I made originally. It is not objective fact, and posting as such has dangerous repercussions for other people.

I have no problem with people saying something is their opinion if they make it plain that's all it is, I have a large problem with people stating something is objective fact when it isn't.

Ok then, I am of the opinion that King's has a better reputation than QMUL, and in my opinion most recruiters would feel the same way.
Reply 77
simon12345
Ok then, I am of the opinion that King's has a better reputation than QMUL, and in my opinion most recruiters would feel the same way.

Obviously, in terms of reputation and recruiters' view:
King's > QMUL. full stop.
But a first from either of them im sure is valued highly, especially if one is gonna apply to postgrad law schools.
Plus, after all both degrees are law degrees.
Reply 78
jy9626
Obviously, in terms of reputation and recruiters' view:
King's > QMUL. full stop.
But a first from either of them im sure is valued highly, especially if one is gonna apply to postgrad law schools.
Plus, after all both degrees are law degrees.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself over and over again. It is not obvious that in a recuiter's mind King's > QMUL. You are not able to make that comment on any objective basis whatsoever. Frankly, it is ******** assertions such as this that lead to plethoric "omg I got in to X in stead of Y is my career ruined??!!!" threads, and it is utter baseless ****.
Ethereal
I'm not going to keep repeating myself over and over again. It is not obvious that in a recuiter's mind King's > QMUL. You are not able to make that comment on any objective basis whatsoever. Frankly, it is ******** assertions such as this that lead to plethoric "omg I got in to X in stead of Y is my career ruined??!!!" threads, and it is utter baseless ****.

Then stop "repeating yourself" and posting. IT'S SIMPLE.

Latest