The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I appologize for my user name.
Reply 61
That's a good question. I used to do it ... and have no idea why.
i do it sometimes
Reply 63
I don't get why the British use 'x' at all. Used to bloody confuse me. :s-smilie:
I agree xxx
KirstyK
I don't get why the British use 'x' at all. Used to bloody confuse me. :s-smilie:

It's because we're insecure and seek approval from other people. If we put 'xxx' and then you don't it's like you've rejected us and we go and slit our wrists whilst drinking tea and eating crumpets.
I find it a bit annoying when people put xxxxxx at the end of facebook status updates, it's like why!? But I move on.
Reply 67
Pepperoni
We had an American exchange at our school not long back, and on Facebook etc, I noticed they never put any x's at the end of anything. I remember people asking them why they didn't leave them!
Maybe it's a cultural thing?

lol. Yeah we don't use 'x' either. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what it meant. thetopnotch had to help me with that and what it meant. :redface:
I put xXx at the end of texts depending who it's to, pretty much all girls would get that on the end, and odd guy who i'm close friends with, but that's a joke we have.
Reply 69
I don't put xxx.
But I do put xo and <3 in emails and messages to m'lovelydovely close friends :redface:
KirstyK
lol. Yeah we don't use 'x' either. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what it meant. thetopnotch had to help me with that and what it meant. :redface:

yeah i like to use it :yep:

ahem night xxxxxxxx :tongue:
Reply 71
I put x on the end of some to friends, depending on the content.
X on the end of ones to my family.
Anything between x and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to my boyfriend =p
Reply 72
Anglo*Phile
I'd like to say that this is an exclusively English habit; and whenever any new people I meet on TSR do it I'm quite surprised and/or amused.

As for gender differences; all the guys I've spoken to do it. But, not 3 x's - often just 2.

I would agree with the earlier statement.
At least to the basis that it is alot LOT more commonplace in the modern english culture to add x's at the end of texts etc.
My American friends would never do it to just a friend etc, and they consider it something that is only explicit towards people who are actually in relationships, which makes sense I suppose, considering the meaning of these x's.
I just don't like it when girls put xxx at the end of every status change on facebook, for example my friends current status is...

Kerrie Burrage thinks wow cnt belive i fit bak into them!!!!! :-) xx
Kerrie Burrage iz goin shopping 4 sum new shoes!!! bk in a bitch!! xx
Kerrie Burrage iz luvin da new shoes!!! :-) xx
Kerrie Burrage now u know the truth.... its up 2 u 2 decisde.... i ment every word and i still do....so its up 2 u xxx

Her grammar also annoys one :rolleyes:
TI-84
I would agree with the earlier statement.
At least to the basis that it is alot LOT more commonplace in the modern english culture to add x's at the end of texts etc.
My American friends would never do it to just a friend etc, and they consider it something that is only explicit towards people who are actually in relationships, which makes sense I suppose, considering the meaning of these x's.

Yes, that about sums it up nicely.
But, I'm a Canadian so it goes for us as well. We're special toooooo HAHA :woo:
Reply 75
Anglo*Phile
Yes, that about sums it up nicely.
But, I'm a Canadian so it goes for us as well. We're special toooooo HAHA :woo:

lol, yes of course :smile: How can we forget the Canadians!
Reply 76
*AllyBaba
I just don't like it when girls put xxx at the end of every status change on facebook, for example my friends current status is...

Kerrie Burrage thinks wow cnt belive i fit bak into them!!!!! :-) xx
Kerrie Burrage iz goin shopping 4 sum new shoes!!! bk in a bitch!! xx
Kerrie Burrage iz luvin da new shoes!!! :-) xx
Kerrie Burrage now u know the truth.... its up 2 u 2 decisde.... i ment every word and i still do....so its up 2 u xxx

Her grammar also annoys one :rolleyes:

Made me lol.
+1
edit: im all out for today already -_-
Remind me on Saturday :p:
I used to always thinks it meant someone crossing their fingers, like "I luv u 2 babe x." means "ehhh, not really!"
Reply 78
I hate when people put xs at the end of Facebook statuses..."So-and-so has a cold xxx" - WHY?!!!
What?xxx
Wee bit sexist?xxx
Not all girls do that to be fair...xxx

xD
I only do it to the people I like/close friends. Well to most people I give an X, Good friends, xx, Loove them,xxx. Just makes them seem friendlier...In my opinion anywho.

Latest

Trending

Trending