The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
zip it123
also out of interst why selwyn?

its not one of those colleges that strikes out. I think queens is good for oreintal studies (a mate of mine applied and got rejected form there but he said that they have a large intake)

There are a few reasons:
1. It is small
2. The Japanese tutor there is (what I heared) head of the faculty.
3. The food is supposed to be decent in comparison to other colleges; believe me this is more important than one might think.
4.I like the architecute more than that of lets say trinity...a bit over the top if you ask me :wink:
5. They are building new rooms for students and they are supposed to open in 2006, just before I will start so chances of getting good acomodation is high.
Reply 21
Doitsujin
I actually started this thread to decide upon the college I should apply to; but now my A-level choices have all of a sudden become more important.....ANYWAY......I don;t think that at the moment I am doing too many mistakes, afterall I had some good advice from a trusted friend. *hint hint* :wink:

BTW I am Prefect!

Prefect...shock! horror!
Are you referring to our long conversations over which subjects you should take? I'm sticking to what I said!
Reply 22
minimo
Prefect...shock! horror!
Are you referring to our long conversations over which subjects you should take? I'm sticking to what I said!

I value your judgement highly! Believe it or not!

Will you come to school tomorrow?
The thing they are building is called Annes court, dont let that swing your decision too much because your first year will be in Cripps Court just like ours is. Its kind of ugly, and way too brown! Annes court is where you might end up in later years - I'm going for it next year if the accomodation ballot smiles upon me... but thats another long and complicated story! The food is good, architecture is nice and I think the tutor you are referring to is Hariaku Laurie (or something like that) though i really dont know anything about her.

The thing that really makes Selwyn though is the people. Its a great atmosphere - I've loved my time there so far and will endorse it as a college to the ends of the Earth! And a lot of my fellow Selwynites agree, its not just me being overly enthusiastic. I dont think.
Reply 24
KupoIncarnate
The thing they are building is called Annes court, dont let that swing your decision too much because your first year will be in Cripps Court just like ours is. Its kind of ugly, and way too brown! Annes court is where you might end up in later years - I'm going for it next year if the accomodation ballot smiles upon me... but thats another long and complicated story! The food is good, architecture is nice and I think the tutor you are referring to is Hariaku Laurie (or something like that) though i really dont know anything about her.

The thing that really makes Selwyn though is the people. Its a great atmosphere - I've loved my time there so far and will endorse it as a college to the ends of the Earth! And a lot of my fellow Selwynites agree, its not just me being overly enthusiastic. I dont think.

Good advertisement :wink: but really that makes it then almost certain then! Oh BTW the open day is on the the 30th of June for the art subjects right?

I have never been to university day before so sorry for the stupid questions.
Do I have to tell the University I want to attend it?
Is it the whole day?
What can I expect to see?
Will a look around the college be part of it?

Oh and lastly, as you are a selwynite. If you ever happen to bump into one of the oriental students, please tell him/her I need to ask course specific questions. Thank you
If it is a Selwyn open day then yes, it will include a look around the college. There is some information on it here:

http://www.sel.cam.ac.uk/prospectus2005/home/index.php?p=13

It looks like this open day is planned to coincide with the full university arts-departments open day, so you need to make sure you sign up for the Selwyn specific one too (which you can do on the website), then you can have the tour and talk of the college and then go see your department (or the other way around)

I dont really know how long the open day lasts - I came for the sciences one and spent most of the day in Cambridge because I had quite a few different departments to see (as being a nastsci I had to look at chemistry, physics, materials and geology), and also went to an open day at Robinson college. Then I walked past Selwyn on the way back to the car and went in for a quick look around, and decided I was applying there instead.

I dont know how long an arts open day will be - I think you need to converse with an artist on this one!

I'm not sure what you mean by "tell the university you definitely want to come" - if you come to the open day you havent signed your life away or anything, and they wont remember you (at least not by name) should you decide to apply. Loads more people will be at the open day than will end up applying.

By the way no questions are stupid questions! All of us who applied know the feeling - you think "surely if it wasnt a stupid question then other people would have asked it!" but seriousely dont worry, if you want to know anything TSR is the place to ask.
Reply 26
Doitsujin
Thank you for that information I will try to get in touch with her later on.

i think she's called bumblebee3 now
Reply 27
KupoIncarnate
I agree with zip_it in a way - certainly about ICT. Its probably the least repsected qualification EVER. Most people nowadays are computer literate, and I hope I'm not being offensive to anyone but an A-Level in it is pretty much a waste of time full stop.

No, it's not actually. I learnt a lot in my ICT A level, and if i hadn't done ICT A level I would be a lot worse off than I am now on my course.
Well the adored and respected member wins it... wot choo doin in a Cambridge forum anyway miss Pompey?
Reply 29
Doitsujin
Which College is renowned for the subject?
Who has the best teachers (Opinion)?

This may not matter to you, but there are only 3 colleges at Cambridge with Directors of Studies in Chinese (I'm not sure about Japanese). They are Catz, John's and Churchill.
Reply 30
kirbz
No, it's not actually. I learnt a lot in my ICT A level, and if i hadn't done ICT A level I would be a lot worse off than I am now on my course.

yeh u doing ICT at uni u fool

this thread is about oriental studies...where ict has no relevance and may be considered an easy option
Selwyn are propper sorted in Japanese:

The Director of Studies in Oriental Studies is Mrs Haruko Laurie, who is also the Senior Language Teaching Officer responsible for Japanese language teaching at all levels in the Faculty.

The Master, Richard Bowring, is Professor of Japanese Studies in the University and teaches classical Japanese, literature, and religion.

Even our master is in on it!
Reply 32
ah finally I can post here again. For some strange reasons I couldn't access TSR for about 1 and half days. Gha!.....

Firstly, Kirbz, of course ICT is useful if you study a related course at university but if you havnt realised this thread is about oriental studies so if you can think of any similarity between the 2 then please educate me if I am so wrong. And also, you should know that the A-level is only 20% about COMPUTERS. For example my coursework was 160 pages pure writting! Guess how much actually had to do with the task of making something excel, less than 30 pages! The subject is more about desinging than doing.
But now back to the real reason of this thread.

>KupoIncarnate
Wow thankyou so much for the information! Selwyn really seems to be THE place for japanese in Cambridge! But then heads of subjects don't necceseraly mean they are the best, if you know what I mean. But on the faculty homepage I read that Mrs. Laurie studied at Keio. Keio is really the Japanese equivelent to Cambridge. I was actually thinking of applying there but I just couldn't afford it.

Now another question is on my mind. Ticki said that only 3 colleges offer chinese, "They are Catz, John's and Churchill." Now, does that mean I won't be able to do both courses together at Selwyn then. This is just a minor question as my choice for selwyn is almost cemented. I just hope I will be next year one of the 2 lucky people to get the place for Oriental Studies at Selwyn.
Also thank you for getting your master intrested as well :biggrin:

I found this photo on the official site of selwyn
http://www.sel.cam.ac.uk/photo-album/base-photo9232.html?photo_id=10096
Is Mrs. Laurie on it? The lady to the far right of the photo maybe?

And lastly, Kupo, are you a FF fan?
Hehe thats a matriculation photo... of the current 2nd year I think. You'll be in one of those when you matriculate (the official ceremonial bit of becoming a member of the college and university). Thats not the whole college. just the matriculants and the master, head porter, the legend that is Dr Chivers and some other random important people.

And no, the fact that we dont have a DoS in Chinese doesnt mean you cant study it, or that you will be in any way disadvantaged in doing so. No colleges have DoS's in everything, there just arent enough fellows. Teaching is done mostly on a university-wide basis, the only thing which the college are really involved in is supervisions. I dont know if Selwyn have anyone who can supervise Chinese, but if we dont then all that will happen is someone from another college will give your supervisions - for example I'm supervised by a guy from Churchill (which by the way is the worlds ugliest college - just so you know...) for materials.

As far as the final fantasy question goes, I'm certainly a final fantasy 7 and 8 fan, Most specifically 7 - truly the most awesome game ever created. I used to be quite obsessed - thankfully though the rehab worked though... now I just need to shake this *twitch* ner...vous tw..itch *twitch*. 5 and 6 were pretty damn good, still right up there but not in the same league as 7 and 8. I dont really have experience of 1-4, 9 was kinda mediocre and 10 seemed ok but I dont have a PS2 so I havent tried it properly. I'm assuming that being as you spotted the relatively obscure reference you are a fan too? But let me guess... you play them in the original Japanese so you can finish them before they even get translated and shipped to Britain :wink:
Reply 34
hahaha! No I don't play them in Japanese, not cause I couldn't but cause I never had a japanese copy in my hands. Wait I am lying I played FF10 in Japanese for a bit (Voicing was WAY better but then again the americans are soo bad at dubbing stuff!!!!) I started with 8, meant a lot of sleepless nights I tell you! 9 was ok story was a bit weird but my 2 favorite characters of all time were in that game, ViVi and Queena (same attitude like me; food where? yum). 10 I played completly eventhough I didnt have a PS2. So what i did was buy the original game, realised that i didnt have a PS2 so I ended up occupying my friends PS2 when I was at his house. "Hi, wheres the PS2...no time to talk to you...on the last part of the game >.<" I was at the Jump Festa in Japan this Christams and Square Enix had a stall there. I just can't waint for FF7 Advent Children to come out. *drowl*
Oh yeah I played FF Online as well but that was not as good as the normal games. It just takes too long! 2 days just training and I went from a level 12 to a level 13 black magician. I just gave up because school was all of a sudden too much so I had to give up one of the 2. Difficult decision.

I hope that answers your question, yes I am a fan!!!
Reply 35
Doitsujin
Ticki said that only 3 colleges offer chinese, "They are Catz, John's and Churchill." Now, does that mean I won't be able to do both courses together at Selwyn then.

Just to reiterate what KupoIncarnate said: just because a college don't have a DoS in a particular subject doesn't mean that they don't offer it. A DoS's job is to arrange supervisors for each of your papers so no-one will necessarily be supervised in college for all of their papers. Only 2/6 of my supervisors have been from my college. The only difference this would make is that you'll have to trek slightly further to see your DoS (and Cambridge isn't a big place) and you wouldn't bump into them around college as much. I would argue that this is a good thing...! So in conclusion, it's no real disadvantage to apply to Selwyn for Japanese & Chinese.

P.S. That's definitely the second year in the photo. :smile:
Reply 36
Just to liven up this thread a bit.

As this has turned into both a Oriental Studies and Selwyn related thread I thought I'll post this note.

5 days ago I asked from the Official Selwyn College Homepage for an Prospectus. To my suprise it arrived yesterday! For most of you that might not sound that fast but living in Arabia, I couldnt belive how fast it got here, hihi and the Uni payed.

Sadly the Prospectus didnt clear up any of my questions as the information regarding Oriental Studies was the same on the internet but looking at the pictures of Selwyn is just BreathTaking. I am really not sure why most people wouldnt have this place as their first choice but then again I love the architecture from the post Victorian Era. ^^

On a side note, what was more intresting was a sheet of how many people applied for each course and how many got accepted. Oriental Studies for the past 2 years has had about 12ish candidates but only 3 or 4 actually get a place. I first thought that was a terrible ratio but then looking at how many applied for economics in one year; 43or so and only 2 got in, I felt a bit better.

Kupo if you are reading this, did you find out any further information? ^^
Reply 37
That's because Economics rocks :wink:
Havent found out any specifics yet, but thats because hardly anyone is back at college yet (I'm here a week early for rowing). Currently trying to work, and on the side filling a friends room with 500 balloons as a prank. Its going well, but we bought cheap balloons so they keep bursting, dammit! The friend in question is due back in Cambridge tomorrow and we have 150 to go. Its doable... just its going to make me fail the mock exams I have next week. Pfff nevermind.
Reply 39
Which friend would that be then?

Latest

Trending

Trending