The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dirac Delta Function
True, Georgia Tech is excellent, very underrated. Not sure which universities you think are better than MIT though. For engineering, I don't think there is a better one in the US. At the undergrad level, maybe s few others in the world would compete.

but OP, I think having an obsession with getting into a particular institution is unhealthy. I mean shouldn't the obsession be the subject you are interested in first and foremost? Because the truth is, as corny as it may sound, "a star will shine anywhere", and as long as you get into a good place, (of which there are many in the US and UK), then how you do will be very much dominated by your own intelligence and hardwork.

I think when we are talking about universities that are very closely ranked, for example Caltech and MIT, and bearing in mind that Caltech is ranked higher overall. The 'better' argument does not really hold up because at this level any differences are likely to be very much opinion.

Caltech, MIT GA tech are all fantastic schools where you can't go wrong. Personally I would choose Caltech purely for the location :biggrin:
Reply 21
crush525
Hey TSR Users,

This is my first post, as I have just signed up. You may get this question all the time and I'm sorry if I am bothering you all, but how do I get into MIT and what do I need under my belt?

I am currently 16, in Form 5, studying in Northern Ireland for my GCSE's under the CCEA Curriculum (This is the NI version of Execel and AQA, which some say is the hardest sets of tests in the UK :confused:)

I did my GCSE Maths a year before everyone else and got an A*, and currently studying:

Additional Maths
English Language
English Literature
Double Award Science (Consists if Bio, Chem & Physics and is worth 2 GCSEs)
Spanish
Design & Technology
Geography
Religious Studies

I have been predicted an A/A* in all of these tests and will go on to study for A-levels:

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I am also thinking of doing my SATs this summer, but people say I don't need to do them for a few years. If I do them one or two years early would that look impressive?

Outside of school I play for a football team and am a volunteer of the PHAB program, which is a youth club set out to bring those who are physically-disabled and those able-bodied to preform activites together.

Next year I am planning to visit people in the local hospital and become part of the Youth Engineering Scheme, which the school picks 4 people to compete in the national competition, and the winner team goes on to the global competition on the USA. For the last 13 of 14 years are team has won nationally.

Is this enough? What else can I do? Most people say I have no chance as 1 person if very lucky in N Ireland goes every year. No one has to answer all my questions but any info would be useful

Sorry this post was so long, but my dream was to go to MIT when I was 11.

Thanks to all who reply :smile:

P.S Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes

I'd say you should take up Maths Further at A levels. You can't know for certain, but if you do and get (very) good grades on your SAT (do them a few times and pick the best), I'd say you have as good a chance as anyone I know.

Latest

Trending

Trending