The Student Room Group

I've nearly finished my 1st year of Law, I want to switch to English. What to do?

I'm not even sure if I do want to switch. It's a possibility.

The problem is, I've already nearly finished my first year - all I've got left to do are my exams.

What do I do? Is this a stupid idea? I'll have to start first year again, but will this mean taking next year out to reapply (I'll be studying at the same University, I don't want to switch)

Should I just stick it out? It's just that Law is a lot of work and I'm not sure that I have the determination to stick it out for another 2 years. English has always been my favourite subject, and I spent the best part of Years 12 and 13 trying to decide between the two subjects.
Reply 1
bummer. I had to make the decision between law and management studies. Everyone kept telling me law is one of the dryest degrees you can study and you can always do postgrad law.

Dont carry on doing something you dont enjoy, because the chances are you wont get good honours, your better off doing someting you love and are truely passionate about.
I know law is really respected and looked highly upon, but if its just not you, its just not you.

Most universities let you switch courses, i dont think you will formally need to reapply.
Which university are you at, if you dont mind me asking?
I believe the prime consideration here should be your long-term future as opposed to just the next two/three years.

Do you see yourself completing the law degree and going onto taking the LPC/BVC? If so, then I feel you should stick it out. It really is a great qualification to have.

Why do want to do English other than the enjoyment factor?
Reply 3
Snookercraze
I believe the prime consideration here should be your long-term future as opposed to just the next two/three years.

Do you see yourself completing the law degree and going onto taking the LPC/BVC? If so, then I feel you should stick it out. It really is a great qualification to have.

Why do want to do English other than the enjoyment factor?

I'm rather good at it. Almost effortlessly good, and I'm lazy, so this is a plus.
It excites me in a way that no other subject ever has. I love it.

To be honest, the reason I took law is because English graduates are two-a-penny. I've heard so many horror stories about English graduates having no alternative but to work in shops and cafés.

I'm not sure I can see myself being a lawyer. I'd prefer to work in something like publishing or writing (although I'm not sure), and I thought that having a law degree would make me stand out from the crowd.

It's not that I'm bad at Law - I'm not. It's just such an effort, and I don't think I have the necessary drive. I'm not sure.
Amaryllis1
I'm rather good at it. Almost effortlessly good, and I'm lazy, so this is a plus.

To be honest, the reason I took law is because English graduates are two-a-penny. I'm not sure I can see myself being a lawyer. I'd prefer to work in something like publishing or writing (although I'm not sure), and I thought that having a law degree would make me stand out from the crowd.

It's not that I'm bad at Law - I'm not. It's just such an effort, and I don't think I have the necessary drive. I'm not sure.

Why can't you complete your law degree and then do a postgrad in English or something related? That way you'll have two possibilities.
Reply 5
Snookercraze
Why can't you complete your law degree and then do a postgrad in English or something related? That way you'll have two possibilities.

I suppose I could. I don't know. This feels like such a mess, and it's mainly due to my inexplicable apathy and laziness. I don't know why I'm like this, why I can't just get my head down and work like everyone else.
Amaryllis1
I suppose I could. I don't know. This feels like such a mess, and it's mainly due to my inexplicable apathy and laziness. I don't know why I'm like this, why I can't just get my head down and work like everyone else.

When have you got until to make your mind up?

If its after the summer, I would just totally focus on my law exams coming up and then consider the possibility of changing subjects. You never know, you might fall in love with law and regret not taking the upcoming exams properly.
Reply 7
Law graduates are the most sought after... English graduates not so...
How are you finding the course? As someone said it is a very dry subject, but if you can cope with it maybe you could complete it? You don't have to be a lawyer if you get a law degree.

What university do you go to? Is there ANY chance of you switching to first or even second year English? I'm grabbing at straws here :p:
Reply 9
Jingers
Law graduates are the most sought after... English graduates not so...

yes, but the OP has to enjoy (or at least endure the difficulty of) the subject.
Reply 10

To be honest, the reason I took law is because English graduates are two-a-penny. I'm not sure I can see myself being a lawyer. I'd prefer to work in something like publishing or writing (although I'm not sure), and I thought that having a law degree would make me stand out from the crowd.

I understand completely what you mean. You could always put in a late application, then if that doesn't work not only do you have extra/clearing for this year, but you can re-apply next year.
Snookercraze

i agree...i think it can be a better use of time and resources to finish the degree youve started and then if you still want to do english, go do it at masters level

im glad i stuck with drama BA as i'm hoping to do an MA in music. but sticking with the BA drama meant that every year of study has gone towards something on paper

alternatively, you may be allowed access into the second year of english anyways....it vaires from uni to uni so go ask :smile:

good luck :smile:
Reply 12
I think it's easy enough for people to say "oh stick with it and do a masters in English" - but this person has to do another two hard years work before he'd get to do that, something which he probably wouldn't enjoy if he's already having doubts, and no doubt the standard of work would slip if somebodies heart isn't truly in it.
Amaryllis1
To be honest, the reason I took law is because English graduates are two-a-penny. I've heard so many horror stories about English graduates having no alternative but to work in shops and cafés.

Romantic. :love:
Reply 14
I am at the end of my first year studying psychology and it is not the subject I thought it was (all research and statistics) and I am really not enjoying it so want to switch to English. I have looked into doing this and at my university you need to talk to a student liaison officer and get your current program leader and the program leader for English to sign a form to switch courses. You also need to find out if your LEA will fund the new course or not.
BTW just because you have a law degree it does not guarantee you will automatically get somewhere - someone in my family took a law a degree and she could not get into a firm anywhere and she had to retrain as an accountant. Don't assume with any degree you will automatically get work...

Latest

Trending

Trending