The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
Reply 2
However, on the subject, there is a lot of grey area as to what should and shouldn't be anon'd.
Reply 4
Of course they can. I bet they have a bloody good laugh about it too.
Reply 5
People RELY on being anonymous to talk about real, serious problems that may be extremely personal and embarrassing.

You should at least put the disclaimer "Your username will still be visible to moderators and admin" next to the "Post as anonymous" checkbox.

The current state of affairs is misleading, as far as I can see. Yes, I realise that there are posts that explain the anon rules, but this is not good or visible enough.

The fact that any of the many people who are moderators may see the identity of an anonymous poster is apalling, IMO. As soon as you get to know one at all, TSR's 'anonymous' function loses all use.
Oh come on, a handful of H&R mods and globals, supers and admin can see.

That's what, 11 globals, 6 H&R mods, 2 Supers and a couple of admins.

That is just over twenty people. Out of the whole of TSR.

We have better things to do than laugh at people's problems. I couldn't care less who has relationship problems or an STD. I'm not going to judge anybody for it.

Furthermore, we barely even notice the name when scrolling through a thread. It's not the top of our priorities. I know for a fact that I don't consciously look at the username unless they are breaking any rules.

For the good of TSR it's better to be like this, so us mods can keep an eye out for repeat offenders, than for people to post anon willy nilly without us ever seeing the username of the rule breaker.
Reply 8
Danny_777

The fact that any of the many people who are moderators may see the identity of an anonymous poster is apalling, IMO. As soon as you get to know one at all, TSR's 'anonymous' function loses all use.

Come on Danny, it's just a tiny, tiny fraction of the thousands/tens of thousands of active TSR members (not to mention guests). The relevant mods need to see who the anonymous poster is for obvious reasons.

Moderators respect the privacy of others. They don't sit around and laugh about other peoples problems. They generally don't really care, they usually aren't all that interesting. I think few moderators, once they've checked the post in the mod queue and is satisfied the member isn't trolling, don't really notice/remember the member's name. I know that when a couple of H+R threads have been moved to universities (quite rare, it's only happened three times and on one of those occasions it was a member abusing the anon function) I don't make any deliberate attempt to look at the name and even if I do catch it I soon forget who it is.
Danny_777

There's also some very serious reasons as to why a mod should be able to realise the member posting as Anonymous. Not for warnings sake but for their own well being. There's been some known situations where quick thinking has had to be taken by the mods to stop some nasty outcomes from occuring.

As far as justification goes, you have it right there, as well as what has been said before. By no stretch of the imagination does it lose all use.
Danny_777
You should at least put the disclaimer "Your username will still be visible to moderators and admin" next to the "Post as anonymous" checkbox.

This idea seems perfectly reasonable.
Reply 11
Set up a dupe for really embarrassing problems?
Reply 12
To the mods who are saying "It's okay, we don't look at the namest":

That's comforting I suppose, but not really my point. The point I am trying to make is that 'anonymous' is not truly anonymous if people can see your identity. If someone posted naked pictures of me somewhere on the internet, it wouldn't make me any less angry at the person if no-one looked at them.

I am annoyed that mods can see the identities, not whether they do look at them.
Reply 13
Danny_777
I received a warning for something I posted anonymously earlier, as it 'didn't need to be anonymous'.

Does this mean that anyone who is a 'mod' can see the identity of anonymous posters...? If so, I view this as an awful invasion of privacy, and a real blight on TSR's H&R 'service'.

Look Danny, get used to it mate.

It's not an invasion at all. If anything, you've invaded the internet to get to this place. Those who uphold this place are not invading any privacy, but maintaining their own. Think about it :rolleyes:

It would be very anarchy-like, if one could come here and perform what you did, for you could act as a sock puppet now, couldn't you?
Reply 14
G. Lee
It's not an invasion at all. If anything, you've invaded the internet to get to this place.

:rolleyes:

So when I go out, hire a private booth at a restaurant and someone spies on me and takes my picture, it's justifiable because I'm 'invading' the public space...?

I don't really think you know what 'invade' means.
Reply 15
Danny_777

That's comforting I suppose, but not really my point. The point I am trying to make is that 'anonymous' is not truly anonymous if people can see your identity. If someone posted naked pictures of me somewhere on the internet, it wouldn't make me any less angry at the person if no-one looked at them.

I am annoyed that mods can see the identities, not whether they do look at them.

I don't see where naked pictures comes into it.

Surely you see why moderators need to know who the poster is? To check who they are (and whether or not they are trolling). If a moderator knows the member is male and the post is . Then there's also CJ's point. It's often to the benefit of the member, especially in cases like self harm/attempted suicide. So you don't think it's justifiable?

If we don't know who the members are, it will become even more of a troll haven (and they can get away without being warned).

I really don't think most members have an issue with it. Moderators have their own problems and don't pay any attention to the threads, unless they think the member is trolling/thread is getting out of hand. Most of the anon threads in H+R are actually fairy mundane anyway.

I think it's just common sense, that a moderator/admin is able to see who you are even when anonymous (not that I'm saying you're lacking in common sense, my dear Danny).
Reply 16
Danny_777
:rolleyes:

So when I go out, hire a private booth at a restaurant and someone spies on me and takes my picture, it's justifiable because I'm 'invading' the public space...?

I don't really think you know what 'invade' means.

What a strange analogy you make...

First of all, you are not in a booth as such. Secondly, no one took any pictures of you, only apart from the one you posted yourself in your own profile, so if anything, you've commited your own suicide.

Now, listen, and mark these words boy. The world of the internet is not safe, so measures of safety need to be established. If you don't understand this, then you cannot understand the motives of those who uphold the safety of those who have an account here. If you do not understand this, then do not take obsolete persona's in hope they will decieve anyone.
Reply 17
Danny_777

The reality is that it is important for the smooth running of the forum that mods are able to see who anonymous posters are. It enables us to detect people who are trolling with the function and wasting peoples time (by not only creating silly threads but also by doing things like replying to themselves). The reason why this small number of people need to be able to see who an anonymous poster is has been stated many times in many threads in this forum.

The people who can see you are maybe 20 people, that is not just 20 people who are in the site that is 20 people in the world. These are people who don't know you in real life and aren't going to go broadcasting what you have written anywhere. So while it may not be absolute anonymity (which I don't think would be possible anywhere) you are pretty much anonymous to the world.

We have done a lot to ensure that people know that mods can see who anonymous posters including metioning it in the H&R rules which you are directed to read before posting in the subforum.
Reply 18
I think just adding a small disclaimer would be a fairly easy solution to all parties problems.
Reply 19
yes they can I recieved a warning too. But what can you do ? TSR is full of .... (I wont say)

Latest

Trending

Trending