The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got my offer on new years eve (cam), but I think for ox it's a bit earlier, but if pooled, you wont find out if you got an offer until later on (no idea when)
Reply 2
*Bethany*
How long it it approximately between being interviewed at Cambridge and getting an offer/rejection?

Interviews are in early December, and you hear early January as a rule.. (Just makes Christmas that extra bit special) :rolleyes:

So erm... 1 month
My interview was on the 10th Dec and i found out on the 31thDEC
Reply 4
That seems really quick - which I guess is a good thing, although timing it so you're left hanging over Christmas isn't great.
same, mine were 7th and 8th Dec and i heard 31st - that was one great new years party that was!
I think that the majority of people get their decision (from Cambridge) on New Years Eve. That was certainly the case on TSR. Of course, the decision may be 'pool', and that stretches things out even further.
Reply 7
I think I got mine before the 31st. The 31st is my birthday and I considered it an early birthday present. I think it was a couple of days before, but my memory isn't very vivid.
Reply 8
my interview way mid/early november (i think thats as early as they get). Got one weeks notice for interview. offer was on new years eve
Reply 9
The waiting...possibly the worst bit of the entire process. I felt like a dog rushing to the door every day when I heard the post coming through the door. Can't wait for results day :-S
At Downing, no one got a letter before the 4th of January... I got mine of the 5th of January and my interviews were on the 11th of December
Reply 11
PhilipGarsed
Interviews are in early December, and you hear early January as a rule.. (Just makes Christmas that extra bit special) :rolleyes:

So erm... 1 month

Well actually I DID get my offer on the 31st of December, but come on, that's so nearly January!!!
Fiona87
The waiting...possibly the worst bit of the entire process. I felt like a dog rushing to the door every day when I heard the post coming through the door. Can't wait for results day :-S

I agree it was terrible! Especially coz in my school there were 5 of us who applied to Cambridge and they all received their letters on the 3rd of January but they were all negative (well 1 rejected and 3 pooled) Even though, I kinda knew that I had good chances to be in coz during my 1 st interview, which went amazingly well, the woman kept telling me things like " u'll have no problem to adapt here next year" and then i brought a 4000 words research paper i had done and when she looked at it she said " u already have half of ur dissertation for ur third year"... but then the 2nd interview went soso so I didnt feeel too good after it and was worried...
Now I'm waiting for my exams to start in 10 days :eek: :bawling: It's terrible... and then I'll have to wait for my results until the 7 th of july and if I was to miss my offer I would have to wait until A levels get their results (around 15th of august) and my college to decide who they wanna keep before finding out anything! :eek: *prays she makes her offer and doenst have to get through such hell*
I flew up from Oxford on the 11th Dec, my offer was posted on the 16th and I had it by the 18th. One of the main reasons I chose Oxford over Cambridge was because I liked their admissions system better. (a) you find out if you're in quicker, (b) you stay there for longer while at interview, get to see a bit more of the city, and (c) any pooling interviews take place while you're there; I think at Cam they call you back down for further interviews.

I know it's really shallow to base your decision on where you could possibly be spending the next 3-4 years on the admissions system, and whichever you choose then the waiting is just as gruesome (one imagines), but that was a factor for me!
of course, if you hadn't flown, you could have got even more days out of it.

That's what I did :biggrin:

This had 11 day off this year for interviews :biggrin:
to put my little bit in
the letters were late then it was the fun pool.
was like waiting on the phone every evening following the pool letter. then about 3 days lateer got a call saying they wanted to reinterview me- groan!!! so was like ok thats cool. then it was like ring u back tomorrow. a few days later and i rang them. this was the 6th of januray for the first call and the interview was 13th ish. i got a lettter from a second college inviting me to interview but still no news from the first.
therefore confused and waiting over the phone i decided to call them. aparently both colleges thought the other would be calling!!!!!
this is where it was like no - they needed me down on two days, first interivew at 10.30 on the friday and second at 3.40 on the saturday, therefore to nights in cam!!!
after the second interivew i was given a preference form for the two colleges to fill in and post in the next two days. they were like we will ring in the next week.
therefore the waiting started all over again. on the tuesday i got a voicemail messge saying ring back but only becuase they had not got my order of preference form (darn royal mail) and therefore it was back to waiting.
the wednesday the joyous p2 and p4 exam combination, came out and guess what another missed call but with no number left (the one in the phone is just a mesage saying cam has called work out which bit for ur self). then there was a frantic 1/2 hour where i went around trying to find a prospectus. when at last it was found and i had got my nerves up i rang back and finally got the news.
that was not a fun week!!! therefore i had the grand pleasure of 5 cambridge interviews at three colleges!!!
what a process. therefore it was 1.5 months, two trips to cam, some confusing letters and missed calls before i got an offer
Reply 16
One of my friends doing Classics at Trinity Hall had a total of 9 interviews! I can't remember precisely how many he had per College, but he applied to King's and had his Classics backup on at Trinity, then when he was pooled, he was re-interviewed by King's and had further interviews at Christs's, before finally being accepted by Trinity Hall without an interview. Unsurprisingly, his Latin teacher swore never to let any of his students apply to Cambridge fo Classics ever again!
Reply 17
Michelle2
One of my friends doing Classics at Trinity Hall had a total of 9 interviews! I can't remember precisely how many he had per College, but he applied to King's and had his Classics backup on at Trinity, then when he was pooled, he was re-interviewed by King's and had further interviews at Christs's, before finally being accepted by Trinity Hall without an interview. Unsurprisingly, his Latin teacher swore never to let any of his students apply to Cambridge fo Classics ever again!

Ouch! :eek: That has to be pretty exceptional though.
specialhelen
to put my little bit in
the letters were late then it was the fun pool.
was like waiting on the phone every evening following the pool letter. then about 3 days lateer got a call saying they wanted to reinterview me- groan!!! so was like ok thats cool. then it was like ring u back tomorrow. a few days later and i rang them. this was the 6th of januray for the first call and the interview was 13th ish. i got a lettter from a second college inviting me to interview but still no news from the first.
therefore confused and waiting over the phone i decided to call them. aparently both colleges thought the other would be calling!!!!!
this is where it was like no - they needed me down on two days, first interivew at 10.30 on the friday and second at 3.40 on the saturday, therefore to nights in cam!!!
after the second interivew i was given a preference form for the two colleges to fill in and post in the next two days. they were like we will ring in the next week.
therefore the waiting started all over again. on the tuesday i got a voicemail messge saying ring back but only becuase they had not got my order of preference form (darn royal mail) and therefore it was back to waiting.
the wednesday the joyous p2 and p4 exam combination, came out and guess what another missed call but with no number left (the one in the phone is just a mesage saying cam has called work out which bit for ur self). then there was a frantic 1/2 hour where i went around trying to find a prospectus. when at last it was found and i had got my nerves up i rang back and finally got the news.
that was not a fun week!!! therefore i had the grand pleasure of 5 cambridge interviews at three colleges!!!
what a process. therefore it was 1.5 months, two trips to cam, some confusing letters and missed calls before i got an offer

SNAP! I had exactly the same. I applied to Selwyn and got a letter saying I was pooled. I didn't get a phone call and then out of the blue a couple of weeks later I got a call saying "Are you on your way to cambridge tonight" and I said no and asked why I would be and they told me I had an interview at Giton first thing in the morning. I told them I couldn't make it as I had P2 that morning so they put it off a couple of days. It turned out that I'd been pooled to both Robinson and Girton and they both thought the other was calling me. Anyway, it all worked out fine apart from my robinson interview over-reunning by like an hour.

MB
Thats madness!

Maybe some colleges use the process of actually getting to your treasure-hunt of interviews as an initiative test!

Latest

Trending

Trending