The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have the unit 2 NAB on friday. Know barely any of it so I'm really frustrated by that. Unit 3 is also pretty complicated by means of getting things mixed up. A lot of things are similar but oh so slightly different. I'm glad there's a good while until the exam so I can polish up.
Reply 2
ArcadiaHouse
Getting slightly frustrated doing past papers and seemingly getting nowhere. :rolleyes: I'm getting facts mixed up. I have the Unit 2 NAB on Tuesday so I kind of have to nail it this weekend!

Who's all sitting it this year too? :cool:

Do you have a copy or a link to past papers that I could have?

I can only find 2007/2008, which I have in paper form anyways so thats not too much help for me :p:

I have the prelim covering the whole topic next week :eek: Quite nervous, because I always feel I dont know anything about human bio (esp. unit 3 Grrr )
Reply 3
NinjaBread
Do you have a copy or a link to past papers that I could have?

I can only find 2007/2008, which I have in paper form anyways so thats not too much help for me :p:

I have the prelim covering the whole topic next week :eek: Quite nervous, because I always feel I dont know anything about human bio (esp. unit 3 Grrr )

Sorry, I just bought past papers from WH Smith. Maybe they're on the SQA website?

Does anyone know how to remember which blood vessel does what? I'm trying to learn what the pulmonary artery/vein and hepatic vein etc do but I keep getting mixed up.

I have the NAB first thing tomorrow and despite spending these three days doing Biology I feel like I've learned nothing. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
EmmaDilemma
Ahh I took it..
passed my prelim last week with 68% thank god.

I use scholar quite a lot for stuff..it's really quite good. I'm just hoping and praying for a B in it !

Well done! :biggrin: I hate Scholar. O_o
ArcadiaHouse

Does anyone know how to remember which blood vessel does what? I'm trying to learn what the pulmonary artery/vein and hepatic vein etc do but I keep getting mixed up.

What in particular would you like help with? Remember veins carry blood back towards the heart. So by definition, the pulmonary vein will carry blood away from the lungs to the heart. The pulmonary vein carries oxygenated blood back from the lungs to the heart, entering in the left atrium.

The blood flow through the heart is as follows:
1. Inferior / Superior venacava - right atrium
2. Right atrium - right ventricle (through the tricuspid valve)
3. Right ventricle - pulmonary artery - lungs (pulmonary capillary bed)
4. Lungs - pulmonary vein
5. Pulmonary vein - heart (left atrium)
6. Left atrium - left ventricle (through the mitral valve)
7. Left ventricle - ascending aorta

Similarly the hepatic vein drains the liver into the inferior vena cava. This vessel drains blood which the liver has "cleaned".

Don't confuse the hepatic vein with the hepatic PORTAL vein. The portal vein arises from the confluance of the superior mesenteric vein and the splenic vein, draining the enteric viscera. Also don't confuse with the hepatic arteries which are branches of the celiac trunk which arises from the abdominal aorta.
Reply 6
werlop
What in particular would you like help with? Remember veins carry blood back towards the heart. So by definition, the pulmonary vein will carry blood away from the lungs to the heart. The pulmonary vein carries oxygenated blood back from the lungs to the heart, entering in the left atrium.

The blood flow through the heart is as follows:
1. Inferior / Superior venacava - right atrium
2. Right atrium - right ventricle (through the tricuspid valve)
3. Right ventricle - pulmonary artery - lungs (pulmonary capillary bed)
4. Lungs - pulmonary vein
5. Pulmonary vein - heart (left atrium)
6. Left atrium - left ventricle (through the mitral valve)
7. Left ventricle - ascending aorta

Similarly the hepatic vein drains the liver into the inferior vena cava. This vessel drains blood which the liver has "cleaned".

Don't confuse the hepatic vein with the hepatic PORTAL vein. The portal vein arises from the confluance of the superior mesenteric vein and the splenic vein, draining the enteric viscera. Also don't confuse with the hepatic arteries which are branches of the celiac trunk which arises from the abdominal aorta.

Thank you!! :borat: I will make a note of that. I figured out the hepatic artery is connected to the same organs as the hepatic vein, the pulmonary artery is connected to same organs as the pulmonary vein, etc.

I passed my NAB with 70%! I was a bit disappointed because I was sure I had more than 30, but I made stupid mistakes that will be easily resolved for the final exam. :cool: It wasn't that I got them wrong, I just had "explain" or "expand" written on some of them.
Reply 7
9 days.

:eek:
Reply 8
ArcadiaHouse
9 days.

:eek:

Oh no!
I haven't started studying for it yet =/
Reply 9
NinjaBread
Oh no!
I haven't started studying for it yet =/

I'd love to give my teachers a heart attack and get an A, but I'm wondering if there's enough time ...
So.
Reply 11
Ohhh! Hardly any time left!

And oh my god

I HATE THE HEART

yep
Dentino
Ohhh! Hardly any time left!

And oh my god

I HATE THE HEART

yep

Yep. I need to get the heart and hormones sorted out, as well as some bits of Unit 1. I started the course three weeks after everyone else so I'll need to self-teach the first bit of Unit 3. :\ I'm gonna hit the past papers like mad!!
I still haven't started studying for it yet =/

But 'm hoping for infertility for one of the essays :biggrin:

What do you's want to come up?
NinjaBread

Infertility
Effect of disease on population (it's like SG geography lol)
Virus
Red blood cell
Some other stuff :o:

NOT DNA REPLICATION. I have no idea what they're on about.
ArcadiaHouse
Infertility
Effect of disease on population (it's like SG geography lol)
Virus
Red blood cell
Some other stuff :o:

NOT DNA REPLICATION. I have no idea what they're on about.

Noooo! I hate all the geography related stuff (I find it reallyy difficult, could never understand that kinda stuff haha )

I think the Synpase would be quite a good one, I'm sure I'd be able to get a good few points on that hehe
Infertility has to be one of the easiest essays, in my opinion
Maybe not if its for relevant and coherencance (cos I also rambler a bit =P so usually lose those 2 marks)
Reply 16
NinjaBread

I would be happy with anything from the third unit actually! Speshly social facilitation etc but I don't think that'll come up. Oh and I get what you mean about joining late (@Arcadia) - I was the same (decided i caouldn't be bothered with drama) but with unit 1 - luckily all that stuff is fairly ok!

Out of interest - which unit did you guy's find the most difficult to get your heads around? I thought unit 2 was the most confusing but according to my teacher the first unit is the worst!
Reply 17
For the essays;
-Something on reproduction would be quite straightforward
-Would like anything on disease/development/water supply - know lots of stuff from geography:smile:
-Protein synthesis would be alright
-Wouldn't mind enzymes either
Dentino
I would be happy with anything from the third unit actually! Speshly social facilitation etc but I don't think that'll come up. Oh and I get what you mean about joining late (@Arcadia) - I was the same (decided i caouldn't be bothered with drama) but with unit 1 - luckily all that stuff is fairly ok!

Out of interest - which unit did you guy's find the most difficult to get your heads around? I thought unit 2 was the most confusing but according to my teacher the first unit is the worst!

Yeah I agree a behaviour question would be pretty good too
I didn't start late, although my teacher has been off alot, and then when she is in, she doesn't teach us the course we need to be able to read the notes and books and just be able to understand it all =/

I think unit 2 or 3 are the most difficult, unit 2 is difficult, and I find all the male and female hormones really difficult, and unit 3 solely because I don't understand any of the geography part of the unit

I think unit 1 is pretty straightforward, its not easy, theres difficult parts to it, but overall I don't think it's that difficult
akj08
For the essays;
-Something on reproduction would be quite straightforward
-Would like anything on disease/development/water supply - know lots of stuff from geography:smile:
-Protein synthesis would be alright
-Wouldn't mind enzymes either

Infact I think the first half of the mentrual cycle would be brilliant

Done that in a past paper not too long ago and it was fairly striaghtforward to gain the marks!

Latest

Trending

Trending