The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Question 12 was hideous. Apparently it was all about similar triangles. Most of my class only answered the first two parts... D:

I agree about Q13 though, clearly the IB don't know about how long it takes me to draw graphs with correct axes :p: and then UGK every time I wanted to recheck a coordinate because I'd taken down the x-coord instead of the y-coord, the little cursor on the graph took SO LONG to move from one point to the next, I must have wasted about 10 minutes in all just fiddling with the calculator. :mad:
Reply 21
That paper was ..... weird. What was up with the questions asked??? No calculus, *no* vectors, *no* matrices, ..... Only stats and Q12 which is not even on the syllabus.

that paper was a feeeeeeeette schoas. i failed quite epicly i think =(
damn IB.
Reply 22
ltz_Raptor

Section A was not any better either. Unfortunately.
My plan for this paper was to rush through Section A so I can get time to do Section B. By the looks of things this was not a very good idea...

The Vectors were not too bad, however, there was not enough time to do the reflection ^^..

In the rush and intimidation of the entire paper, I screwed up on many "supposedly" easy questions, such as the seating of the table and virus question!

IBO should improvise the grade boundaries. I really hope many teachers would send A LOT of feedback.

I screwed up on easy questions as well... I keep kicking myself. that virus question i just stared at blankly. it was so deviantly worded. and the seating of the table (but i can never do combinations permutations). I mucked up so many part A... like you I rushed to do section B which i think partially saved me, because i banged out Q11 no trouble, then I had loads of time to stare at question twelve and eventually realise where you could put right angles in and use pythagoras.
But Q13 was SO ANNOYING mainly because I cannot think in radians, and simply due to time-consuming nature of each question.
Reply 23
Adalia
That paper was ..... weird. What was up with the questions asked??? No calculus, *no* vectors, *no* matrices, ..... Only stats and Q12 which is not even on the syllabus.

that paper was a feeeeeeeette schoas. i failed quite epicly i think =(
damn IB.

And they didn't ask the arctan questions that i was waiting for in TZ2… they asked those in TZ1 only. pfff..
makke
And they didn't ask the arctan questions that i was waiting for in TZ2… they asked those in TZ1 only. pfff..

And the arctan questions in TZ1 were lovely. :frown: I would've been happy to trade their arctan questions for our Q12!
virus:
0.1 get it if they've been vaccinated, and 0.3 get it if they havent been vaccinated right? and the probability of catching the virus is 0.22.

therefore 0.22 = p(vaccinated)x(0.1) + p(1-vaccinated)x0.3

and the percentage vaccinated is 40%?
Reply 26
imahumaneater
virus:
0.1 get it if they've been vaccinated, and 0.3 get it if they havent been vaccinated right? and the probability of catching the virus is 0.22.

therefore 0.22 = p(vaccinated)x(0.1) + p(1-vaccinated)x0.3

and the percentage vaccinated is 40%?

thats what i got.
well.

for question 12, you need to draw a line from the center of the smaller circle to a point on the radius of the bigger circle so that you can make rectangle.
then you will get it.
Roundabout
And the arctan questions in TZ1 were lovely. :frown: I would've been happy to trade their arctan questions for our Q12!

Ahhh, you'd have to take the last few questions too then! In hindsight, they weren't even hard!! Didn't understand the notation though
what was the answer to that seating question?
Reply 30
Tae-Hwan Lee
well.

for question 12, you need to draw a line from the center of the smaller circle to a point on the radius of the bigger circle so that you can make rectangle.
then you will get it.

Anything like this?

Don't ask me for the rest of the question lol, this is as far as I got. Feel free to show me how monumentally wrong I've gone
No, the angle between the radius and the tangent is 90 degrees. You then have a cyclic quadrilateral with 2 90 degree angles, one angle of theta and one angle of 180-theta. You can draw a line parallel to the line joining the centres, which will give you a right angled triangle with one length (10-x) and the hypotenuse as 50. Then you can use pythagoras to get the other length.
renegadeshark

The total number was 5! arrangements, and the number where the two ppl sit together was 2 *(4!), so where they aren't sitting together, was 5! - 2(4!) = 72 (?)

I could be wrong, someone agree / disagree ?
i also got alpha = 2 pi - 2 theta
but that diagram is wrong - MN is a tangent to the circle
renegadeshark

6x3x4x3x2x1 = 432 arrangements.

Then divide that by 6 since there are 6 identical positions for the people to be seated (rotating the table clockwise).

So I got 72 ways as the answer.
I got 72 as well
really? i thought it doesnt matter, cause one position where they are seated together is the same as the others, cause all you have to is just turn the table?
Reply 37
ltz_Raptor
Hahaha!
All I can do is laugh. This paper was so ridiculous.
Out of a Math HL class of 12 students in my school, a whopping 0/12 students scored any more than 2/18 for the Q12. :mad:

I agree on the Q13 dilemma too! Time for the GDC to graph it was insanely long. And then trying to find an intersection was in vain, because they meet and not intersect. Result: "time waste"!

Section A was not any better either. Unfortunately.
My plan for this paper was to rush through Section A so I can get time to do Section B. By the looks of things this was not a very good idea...

The Vectors were not too bad, however, there was not enough time to do the reflection ^^..

In the rush and intimidation of the entire paper, I screwed up on many "supposedly" easy questions, such as the seating of the table and virus question!

IBO should improvise the grade boundaries. I really hope many teachers would send A LOT of feedback.

Ditto. part A was not great, and after finding myself skippign several questions in part A, part B seemed like a personal note saying " Kill yourself. Now!"

I am still not out of the shock, I am worried my life will be ****ed up because of this :frown:

Paper 3 SHOULD save me though.
Pzazz212
the counting principles question. :frown:

I forgot to divide by the rotational places, so ended up answering the question for 7 people 2 must not sit next to each other :rolleyes: Hope I'll get the method marks...

For some reason I couldn't get the second part to the rates of change within two minutes and then I skipped it to come back, which I of course didn't have time to.

Q12 17 marks down the drain.

Q13, made some numerical error that I couldn't locate within the time and thus didn't get my values in exact form for the GP so clearly couldn't do that...
Antrumf
Was that the one where they said the vector including 2sintheta or whatever was perpendicular to the line x+y=1 (y=-x+1). What I tried (it was probably wrong) was to use the scalar product, saying the direction vector of x+y=1 is (1i, -j) and then the scalar product of the direction vector of the line and the vector including 2sintheta is 0. Then solve for theta.

I did it the same way.
Reply 39
Roundabout
6x3x4x3x2x1 = 432 arrangements.

Then divide that by 6 since there are 6 identical positions for the people to be seated (rotating the table clockwise).

So I got 72 ways as the answer.

I just skipped it, cause I wanted to "use" the time for part B :P Bad move I knwo..

so I just answered it just before the invigilator began the "examination has ended" thing... I just wrote 6x5x4x3x1x1 = 360... weird i know..

Latest

Trending

Trending