The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i have no idea whatsoever for that seatting arrangment question..i always have difficulty doin permutation and combination...as for question 12...i drew a line parallel to the tangents and managed to work out the first few parts..but when i got to the last part i find it utterly complicated n so i gave up..
does anyone get that alpha= arccos somthing ?
the last question is a BIG disaster..so why wouldnt it be the local maxima when the gradients are the same ?i just dont get it ..
The gradient of e^-x is never zero.
Yeah, the derivative wasn't zero. I got all right up to that, but then for e i) or whatever I got numerical values doing arctan(4)=4x or something which was clearly wrong - couldn't find the mistake before the time was up, which annoyed me as the last GP part is simple if you actually have a GP to work with...
Here's a solution for question 12
oh for that, i just took the decimals. and divided the biggest by the second biggest, and the 2nd by the 1st to get the value of r. i ran out of time, so i had to resort to that!
Reply 45
Adalia
That paper was ..... weird. What was up with the questions asked??? No calculus, *no* vectors, *no* matrices, ..... Only stats and Q12 which is not even on the syllabus.

that paper was a feeeeeeeette schoas. i failed quite epicly i think =(
damn IB.

THere are lots of calculus lol. Theres one about integration by substitution, rates of change and Q13 about show that when the two curves meet gradient is equal.
Stats is definitely on the syllabus, binom, find mean and variance are definitely on the syllabus (look at previous ones)
ARGH I GOT 432 places and then didn't divide by 6!!!

FML
some1 give the address or his/her phone no..
math HL p2 was like Latin .....
P1 was bad...no matrices...no Sequence and series, not much of trig r calulus..
n paper 2 was even worst...
i don think any1 in our class would get more than a 3....max 4...
the grade boundaries should go down like 4 10 marks...
dammmm!!!!2 years screwed ...
Reply 48
what the hell!!!
some1 give the address or his/her phone no..
math HL p2 was like Latin .....
P1 was bad...no matrices...no Sequence and series, not much of trig r calulus..
n paper 2 was even worst...
i don think any1 in our class would get more than a 3....max 4...
the grade boundaries should go down like 4 10 marks...
dammmm!!!!2 years screwed ...

i can tell from your user name and your langauge that you are so pissed off now..i can feel youe anger..lol:woo:
Appropriate username. I shall post this again, because it IS the answer.
Ugh, I really mucked up Q13 as well. I was so panicked after trying Q12 and wasting tons of time on essentially one mark that I rushed into Q13 and did a lot of stupid mistakes. I actually got to the last part, and would have gotten the geometric progression, but when they said y1<y2<y3 of course I had to try it with the x-coordinates. :p: There goes 9 marks, or whatever it was. I think I probably lost like 12 marks on that and 17 marks on Q12, which would give me about 30/60 on Section B.

On section A, I did fairly well except for the virus question (hopefully 1 mark of 5 for writing down the known probabilities), the related rates of change question (lost probably 2 marks in part b)) and the cubic polynomial part a), where I lost 4 marks because I didn't realise to differentiate the cubic function. I remember thinking 'how the hell do you use the discriminant with a cubic function'. :p:

Overall hoping for 75/120 on P2 and 100+ on P1. If I manage 49/60 on P3 and my IA doesn't get scaled down from 36/40, I should still be able to pull a 7. (79 overall)
Reply 51
This paper was toooo long for me. I couldnt attemt all questions properly...
till Question 11 i think i didnt miss any question but the last two questions were holding
40 marks! which is 33.3% of the whole paper. And i had only 10 minutes left
Even the quetions were time consuming as someone said already, the last question was really needed more time. quetions 12 was not that difficult but thing is that i was in panic and couldnt think of right method to solve it. Just after leaving the room i realized that i solved it wrongly...ahhh i thought the difficulty of paper would be similar to that of paper1 and in that i finished paper 15minutes earlier so in paper 2 i took time to answer the questions with sincerity. I'm not sure now whether i can get 7 or not..
how was yours?
Reply 52
79 above is 7? then there's still hope left for me..
as i expect 100+ in paper 1 , 80+ in paper 2 , and i secured 36/40 in IA
but what i'm afraid of is failing in paper 3 as i have ITGS on same day
and must study that even though i couldnt understand the concept of set theory at all..
mum10mum
79 above is 7? then there's still hope left for me..
as i expect 100+ in paper 1 , 80+ in paper 2 , and i secured 36/40 in IA
but what i'm afraid of is failing in paper 3 as i have ITGS on same day
and must study that even though i couldnt understand the concept of set theory at all..

Well for easy exams the boundary for 7 has been around 80, but I don't consider this year's exam to be amongst the easiest ones in the recent past, and others seem to agree. Maybe overall the same standard as M08 TZ1, perhaps a bit harder. In M08 TZ1 the boundaries for 7 overall varied between 74 and 75 out of 100, so I'd expect the boundary for 7 this year in TZ2 to be around 73-75, depending on P3.
Reply 54
Thanks and best of luck for your remaining papers..
Reply 55
Roundabout
Ugh, I really mucked up Q13 as well. I was so panicked after trying Q12 and wasting tons of time on essentially one mark that I rushed into Q13 and did a lot of stupid mistakes. I actually got to the last part, and would have gotten the geometric progression, but when they said y1<y2<y3 of course I had to try it with the x-coordinates. :p: There goes 9 marks, or whatever it was. I think I probably lost like 12 marks on that and 17 marks on Q12, which would give me about 30/60 on Section B.

On section A, I did fairly well except for the virus question (hopefully 1 mark of 5 for writing down the known probabilities), the related rates of change question (lost probably 2 marks in part b)) and the cubic polynomial part a), where I lost 4 marks because I didn't realise to differentiate the cubic function. I remember thinking 'how the hell do you use the discriminant with a cubic function'. :p:

Overall hoping for 75/120 on P2 and 100+ on P1. If I manage 49/60 on P3 and my IA doesn't get scaled down from 36/40, I should still be able to pull a 7. (79 overall)

Haha :p: I actually did both bolded mistakes at first. Luckily got them right in the end, but I spent tons of time in figuring out that i had used x-values instead of y-values in Q13. Thus i missed among others one of the probability questions, where you had to find the standard deviation and mean, as i had plugged wrong numbers in the calculator…
Reply 56
jc_bach
Stats is definitely on the syllabus, binom, find mean and variance are definitely on the syllabus (look at previous ones)

Of course stats is on the syllabus, but Q12 doesn't fit in nicely anywhere.

Oh I was SO pissed off when leaving the exam hall. The only combination questions I understand is when its a circle, because you do (n-1)!
I forgot the -1. I realised it just as I handed my paper to the IBDPC. FML.

@ running from demons: hahaha. yes, that is the answer to Q12 :biggrin:

@ mum10mum: i can help you with sets if you want :smile:
well Mr. (or Mrs.) Roundabout,

i think you got it wrong because when people sit in circle,

its not 6!, its 5! since unlike straight seats it doesnt matter where you sit first cuz its circle

so you have to divide the whole combination into 6
therefore, (6!/6) = 5!

so everything starts from 5!.

and i think 5! - 4!(2) is right.... damn our teacher didnt thought this kinda stuff and had no clue when i had the actual one. :s-smilie: 6 Point off!!
i wanna go n bomb IB headquarters in Geneva....
bloody....we get our papers much before our xamz start....
n the best part is....our own teachers invigilate..even then we don get to copy....
i wanna **** my co-ordinator n all those ppl involved wit IB...
IB suckz....big time..
Tae-Hwan Lee
well Mr. (or Mrs.) Roundabout,

i think you got it wrong because when people sit in circle,

its not 6!, its 5! since unlike straight seats it doesnt matter where you sit first cuz its circle

so you have to divide the whole combination into 6
therefore, (6!/6) = 5!

so everything starts from 5!.

and i think 5! - 4!(2) is right.... damn our teacher didnt thought this kinda stuff and had no clue when i had the actual one. :s-smilie: 6 Point off!!

I did do that, but I did it in the end. I did 6! but then since it's a circle, you divide it by a 6 because there are 6 identical arrangements.

But there were also restrictions. Two of the people couldn't sit next to each other. So assuming that the first person and the second person can't sit next to each other:
1st person chooses one of 6 chairs, second chooses one of the remaining 5 chairs but can't choose the two chairs next to the first person, hence chooses out of 3 ==> 6x3. Then the remaining four people go as usual, 4x3x2x1. Hence 6x3x4x3x2x1. But since it's a circular arrangement, you divide by 6 since you can rotate it and still have identical arrangements.

So you end up with 3x4x3x2x1 = 72 ways.

Latest

Trending

Trending