The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mum10mum
Any guess for new grade boundary for this years paper?
We have to see the difficulty of paper 3 but i really hope it is between 70~73%

that is too low..it cannot be like that I think..
Roundabout
See my earlier post:

are you talking about the overall grade including IA, paper 1,2,3,?

I heard although boundaries for each paper is around 75~80%, the overall boundary is always like 80%.

If the overal boundary is 75%, then I am not that hopeless
And could someone help me remember what were the questions in this P2 section A? :biggrin:

There was:
- Venn-diagram probability
- Acceleration (differential equation)
- Vector / gradient (perpendicular)
- Vaccination probability
- Polynomial exercise with part a) as show that b^2>24c
- Table arrangements
- Integration by substitution
- Related rates of change
- Transformations and inequalities (ln(2x+1))

There were 10 questions, I can only remember 9. What am I missing?
proudofmyself
are you talking about the overall grade including IA, paper 1,2,3,?

I heard although boundaries for each paper is around 75~80%, the overall boundary is always like 80%.

If the overal boundary is 75%, then I am not that hopeless

I'm talking about the overall boundaries i.e. including IA, P1, P2, P3. They were around 78-80 for TZ2 in M08 but only 74-75 in M08 TZ1.
running from demons
Wow. I actually did all of that!I just didn't put it in the calculator right. Method marks at least I suppose.

dont worry

if you did not find the value right in the calculator
its ok because its just 4 points off. (or 2)
For Q13, last part, what were you supposed to put for the y1,y2,y3 values? could you get it exact ? I gave up and just gave the numbers to 3sf from the GDC. Someone told me that you couldn't get exact answers for this, is that true ? :s-smilie:
radicality
For Q13, last part, what were you supposed to put for the y1,y2,y3 values? could you get it exact ? I gave up and just gave the numbers to 3sf from the GDC. Someone told me that you couldn't get exact answers for this, is that true ? :s-smilie:

it didnt say exact. so dont you dare worrying about it.

i got the ratio of 0.215. anyone similar??? cuz im not sure
Roundabout
And could someone help me remember what were the questions in this P2 section A? :biggrin:

There was:
- Venn-diagram probability
- Acceleration (differential equation)
- Vector / gradient (perpendicular)
- Vaccination probability
- Polynomial exercise with part a) as show that b^2>24c
- Table arrangements
- Integration by substitution
- Related rates of change
- Transformations and inequalities (ln(2x+1))

There were 10 questions, I can only remember 9. What am I missing?

The one with the company making machines and calling people every 10 minutes.
Yeah, I got 0.2**, i can't remember, but probably what you got. But the question said "you should simplify", or something along these lines. What the hell does that mean ?? simplify to what ? And it said "should", what kind of a vague statement was that....
yodude888

No, wasn't that the first long question on section B?
yodude888

That was Q11, no? on Section B. I really can't remember the other question either :s-smilie:
Reply 91
shinejuly
the day before I was revisin,lookin at the question was like" ok, i know this,, next.."

doing that screwed me over almost 20 points in P1&P2 together dammit :mad: :mad: :mad:
Roundabout
No, wasn't that the first long question on section B?

Oh yeah sorry, I hadn't seen that you were just compiling section A questions
Reply 93
Tae-Hwan Lee
it didnt say exact. so dont you dare worrying about it.

i got the ratio of 0.215. anyone similar??? cuz im not sure

I tried to simplify the 'y' values. I got 'y1' to be 2pi/9. And this I got through trial and error. So much time to be so perfect. Q13 was set by a perfectionist!
So in order to get the ratio, I only needed the next 'y2' which I could not find. :-(
Reply 94
yodude888

"Show that (2/(x+5)) + (3/(x+4)) = (....../......)" Something in that line.. Wasn't it?
Reply 95
radicality
Yeah, I got 0.2**, i can't remember, but probably what you got. But the question said "you should simplify", or something along these lines. What the hell does that mean ?? simplify to what ? And it said "should", what kind of a vague statement was that....

That confused me so much. I wrote that I wasn't asked to write the exact values of y1, y2 and y3, so I had found them with my calculator. And yes, r was something 0.2___
ltz_Raptor
"Show that (2/(x+5)) + (3/(x+4)) = (....../......)" Something in that line.. Wasn't it?

That was the question that simplified to 5x+11 on the numerator and I think it was on P1.
Reply 97
Tae-Hwan Lee
answers for Q 12 (well this is what i wrote)

1. because PQ = 50, x+10<50. therefore x<40

2. well... draw extra line from Q to a radius on the other circle so that the line is parallel to MN.

then cos ((x-10)/50)

3. (a) square root of (2500 - (x-10)^2) or (50^2) - (x-10)^2

(b) when x = 10

4. (a) (alpha) = 2pi - 2(theta)

theta = arccos((x-10)/50)
therefore, (alpha) = 2pi - 2(theta)

(b) (beta) = 2pi - 2(pi/2) - 2(pi/2 - theta) = 2 (theta)
= 2 arccos((x-10)/50)

5. since arc = r(theta) where theta is angle in radius,
perimeter = x(2pi - 2(theta)) + 10(2 arccos((x-10)/50)) + 2 (square root of (2500 - (x-10)^2) or (50^2) - (x-10)^2)

ii and iii... well. put it in your calculator, and do it!

Until 5 i that's what I did.
However, I tried to do ii with calculator but the graph I got looked like an exponential function and in the limits of the graph (yes, I have checked it to the moment where graph ended) there was no maximum!!!
Thus, I only have written that I use GDC to draw a graph and find the maximum and ended at this point (any Method marks- how do you think??).
I have reseted my GDC twice during the exam but it was all he same...
What graph did you get?
well the thing is x<40

the graph obviously goes to 60 but the point is that what value do you have when x=40 i think...

nah... i got it wrong anyway. (putting 10-x instead of x-10) haha
Reply 99
Tae-Hwan Lee
well the thing is x<40

the graph obviously goes to 60 but the point is that what value do you have when x=40 i think...

nah... i got it wrong anyway. (putting 10-x instead of x-10) haha

ok, I know what you mean...
however, theoretically there is NO x that maximises perimeter, as x<40.
Thus, x=40 is impossible, so we cannot say what the maximum x is... or maybe i'm just complaining?

i'm angry at myself, as i didn't think about going to iii!!! I just went to another question, whereas I could simply draw a graph y=200 and find the intersection...

still, I am surprised that the whole last part was worth 9 points, when we only had to use what we worked out in the previous parts... and if ii and iii were simply reading from gdc, it looks a bit suspicious... still one boy in my school tried differentiating the b(x) expression and he said it led him to no more than losing valuable time

Latest

Trending

Trending