The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Llynus
Hey all,

My dream was going in an exceedingly boring direction, was on the bus home with 2 mates from a non-discript uni, got to a block of apartments out in a leafy suberb. 1 mate went into his flat, I went with the other mate and just we went to open the door to our flat there was an explosion (more of like a "violent disturbence" didn't seem like a typical explosion). At first I thought someone had tried to kill us, I called out to my mate who was entering his flat, no answer, I walked over to the flat and saw him laying on the ground. I thought maybe he'd been the target. I wasn't sure what was going on, I looked out the front door of the block, and I saw alot of the trees had sustained damage, then I looked to the North and saw the mushroom cloud, and then my surroundings went a brilliant white, like the type when you burn magnesium. I rushed back inside, figured somehow (dream logic) that I was 3500m from the point of detonation and that it was a terrorist attack rather than an attack by another country (I think I decided that based on the scale of the detonation, and that it wouldn't be a target of an aggressive country). Probably one of the most horrific dreams I've had (just for realism, sense of impending doom and powerlessness).

I have a "plan" of sorts to deal with zombie outbreak, but for some reason I have no idea what to do incase of nuclear attack.

So the question is, best way to maximise chances of immediate survival in the event of being on the fringes of a nuclear detonation?

The trick is to be where the bomb goes off. I, personally, wouldn't want to survive a nuclear explosion if it went off in close proximity.

But if you're really intent on surviving, and you're in a building where the windows are intact after the explosion, you need to get as much water as you can into various containers and as many tins of food as possible. You then need to get to the centre of the building into a room with no windows, on the ground floor and pile up as many items of furniture/mattresses/rugs etc. as you can in a lean-to arrangement against a wall. If you have a battery powered radio, listen for immediate announcements by the government. Check the radio evey hour then turn it off to conserve the battery. You should stay in this shelter for 14 days, or until advised. The levels of radioactivity should have fallen by then.

Studies into this method, which was recommended by the Government in the UK in Public Service Announcements during the Cold War, have suggested that this would unfortunately offer limited protection and only a proper nuclear shelter would offer a realistic level of protection against radioactive fallout.

Remember though, your priority is to not breathe in any of the fallout particulates. This will ensure a painful death from lung failure. Touching "hot" radioactive fallout with your bare skin can cause burns and over-exposure to radiation in general will invoke radiation sickness which I'm led to believe is awfully unpleasant.
Reply 21
Llynus
Nope, it's not after Ben, it's my actual name.

I'm only upto s5e15 so I didn't know anything about an explosion.

Awesome advice, thanks =D

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid about a nuclear attack, was just a pretty odd dream, but if a Nuke goes off in the next few days just call me nostradamus.

I think there's some bunkers around here somewhere though, worth some investigation.

Reply 22
There's a cellar here, sounds like that would be my best shot.

Believe it or not that is the exact Secret Nuclear Bunker I was thinking of, I live in Southend and passed that on the way to a rave in ongar.

Latest

Trending

Trending