The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How about this year?
Reply 2
im doing Advanced higher tech. studies this year.

Oh btw do u by any chance have the marking instructions for the 2004 past paper, ive tried to look everywhere for it but ive not had any luck
Reply 3
Nope sry mate I only use the SQA's marking instructions, how are you finding the past papers?

Is it just me or is electronics (the worksheet layout diagram questions) the worst?
Reply 4
the past papers are going quite well for me. my favourite part of the course is electronics so i find them not too bad, probably the worst for me is the section B programming questions like 2007 question 9, where it just gives a description and youve got to write the programme for it and the flowchart, i always end up missing things out, probably because i dont read the question well enough and i just end up diving into the programme.

i was doing quite a lot of section A questions and im going through them quite well, then i moved on to just doing section B questions and i was finding some of them quite hard although in nearly all the past papers there has been 2 Section B questions which ive managed to do well in. so i hope the paper is a good one, esp for section B
Reply 5
I'm doing it! No sign of the 2004 solutions anywhere. I did that paper yesterday and was a bit pissed off when I couldn't find them!

I think I will be spending the whole of today and tomorrow studying for it. Not ready yet.
Reply 6
see in programming, where you do a line like, subwf Counter,W or something like incf COUNTER,F , what is the F and the W there for because ive seen in some past papers that they have that in their answers but in others they omit the F and W. and i was wondering what it was so that i would know whether to put them in or if i would get penalised if had them in and if they shouldn't be there
Reply 7
MC1
see in programming, where you do a line like, subwf Counter,W or something like incf COUNTER,F , what is the F and the W there for because ive seen in some past papers that they have that in their answers but in others they omit the F and W. and i was wondering what it was so that i would know whether to put them in or if i would get penalised if had them in and if they shouldn't be there

Look in the data booklet its in there somewhere at the bottom in the programming section i think.
Reply 8
I'm really dreading if there's a question like 2006 question 1b

Does anyone have the real answers to that..?

I detest the electronics section!!!!!

I just wanna get the exam over and done with cos its last one!!
Any1 else the same?

Part of me agrees with knack and needs to study the other part says meh its mainly problem solving...cba!

Was wondering also if anyone bothers putting remarks in their programming? Teacher told us to but we never bother, takes years!

One last thing, how do other people calculate BM diagrams?
Reply 9
oh cheers, ive got it now.

yeah i cant wait till its over aswell, so i can actually go out and enjoy myself without worrying about exams. nah i never put remarks in the programme, i dont even think ive ever done it before.

the 2006 Q1 got a bit messy for me, with all the connections. i dont know what the actual proper answer is though. but i think its similar to 2009 Q3 but its connected to a BCD to 7-seg display IC

for the Bending moment ones i just do force x distance for a point load force. and (UDL force x distance^2) divided by 2. its just basicly the integral of the shear force.

i think im just going to take it easy today and not do too much, but just read over the notes. then tomorow i think ill study quite a lot. i think i need to go over the different D-type and Jk bistable arrangements, like for counters and shift registers and that.
MC1

for the Bending moment ones i just do force x distance for a point load force. and (UDL force x distance^2) divided by 2. its just basicly the integral of the shear force.

WHATTT?

i just did the area under the SF diagram...

so you calculate the actual BM at each point?

Does anyone agree with
Reply 11
that circuit looks right to me. the only thing different to the one i done was that i put the D and B output directly into the and gate of the counter IC. but yours has the exact same function.

yeah for the BM diagrams i work it out at each point. i take it u calculate the area of SF diagram at each point, like at 0 meters the area is 0 then at 2 meters the area is for example 10. and so on untill the end of the beam. cause thats just the same as doing it the way i do cause the area under the SF is the integral of SF.
ah yeah i see. thanks :smile: wonder what the point of that and gate IC is?!

hmmm sounds complicated, i think i'll stick to my way, bit late for learning new methods....
Reply 13
yeah u would be better off sticking to the method u are used to.

oh btw on some programming questions it asks to write a programme then it says draw a flowchart to plan it. do u really need to draw the flowchart or can u get the full marks for just writing the programme. cause on the marking instructions it just had the programme, and doesnt show a flowchart.
thas a good question, i always wondered that but have never bothered to do it...the teacher never caught us up for it in the prelim i think, and i never need to do a flowchart, so i have never bothered, especially when there is nothing specifying it in the marking instructions...and plus some other questions might ask you to draw a flowchart entirely so i dont bother with the flowchart
Reply 15
oh cool, i dont think ill bother doing it either. i might go back at the end and put a wee flowchart at the side, but thats only if i have time after ive checked my answers over.
yeah a wee scribble wouldnt do any harm, i never bother tho

haha i never have time to check my answers...i'll be lucky if i finish the paper on time, can't wait to get it done!
Reply 17
i normally get it done in just over 2 hours.

yeah i cant wait till its over aswell, then ive got like 3 months till uni starts. i just hope its a good exam tomorrow
Reply 18
I rarely finish in time either. Just wanting to get it done and out the way! You need this for uni next year MC1?
Reply 19
well i need 3 B's at Advanced higher to include Maths and physics. and this year ive done physics, maths, chemistry and techy and im confident that ive done really well in my maths, physics and chemistry exams so i dont really need techy for uni but i still want to do well.

do u need it for uni?

Latest

Trending

Trending