The Student Room Group
Reply 200
mkenani
hello all.well it seems that there is no topic for discussion, i was hoping that i would find somrthing new and iam also pretty dry now with topics so i guess that i will see you later.

Yes, we should all really start up some discussions.

Did anybody watch that program on BBC2 the other evening, yesterday I think actually, "Don't Panic, I'm Islamic". What did everyone think? I think it was nice to hear from Salma Yaqoob, Saidah Abdul-Salam and others, but on the whole I didn't like the 'documentary'. I thought Tariq , the PR person, was wrong to say that if Muslims adapt more and give up basically some of the practises, ( I presume he was hinting at 5 daily prayers, and refraining from drinking even (which he opendly declared he does), then more oppurtunites would open up in the world of work, which i thought was ludicrous. And the interesting thing was how the programme more or less ended with him making this comment. Would be nice to hear everyone else's take on this programme.
Reply 201
Abbas6
Yes, we should all really start up some discussions.

Did anybody watch that program on BBC2 the other evening, yesterday I think actually, "Don't Panic, I'm Islamic". What did everyone think? I think it was nice to hear from Salma Yaqoob, Saidah Abdul-Salam and others, but on the whole I didn't like the 'documentary'. I thought Tariq , the PR person, was wrong to say that if Muslims adapt more and give up basically some of the practises, ( I presume he was hinting at 5 daily prayers, and refraining from drinking even (which he opendly declared he does), then more oppurtunites would open up in the world of work, which i thought was ludicrous. And the interesting thing was how the programme more or less ended with him making this comment. Would be nice to hear everyone else's take on this programme.

well I think if it's not harming anybody then whats wrong with following the religon ,if somebody fdoesn't want to drink and wants to pray then it's his/her own choice,despite the reason so why they are making bigadeal of it..in my opinion the oppurtunutes would open up in the world of work and blab blab blab..if people start using their heads and stop interfering with others personal choices and acts as long as it doesn't harm them..skills and education is what should be taken into account in the working world
Reply 202
Hi

Do u think you have to wear a hijab to be a good muslim...coz ppl always ask why i dont wear a hijab i dnt think i need to be its not because i dnt want to state im muslim but i know inside im a good muslim and follow practise so why shod ppl assume for that little thing im not a good muslim...
Reply 203
Also.....i recently met a few friends they r muslim to and she recently startin wearin a hijab and the suprisign thing is SHE DATES GUYS STILL that cnt be right
Reply 204
sub_zero
Also.....i recently met a few friends they r muslim to and she recently startin wearin a hijab and the suprisign thing is SHE DATES GUYS STILL that cnt be right

As Salaamualaikum

Rite, Hijab is something that every women should wear, it is fard.alot of women dnt but think about it if u kno ur a gud muslim and u try hard to fulfil all the requirements of your faith then hijab should naturally be one them. As for gals who wear hijab and do a whole lot of other haraam stuff, that is soooo not rite, Hijab or not, but if you wear hijab u do it with the right intentions, for the right reasons, wearing it and goin out wit guys, kinda defeats the purpose!!When you decide to wear hijab it should be your own decision and you should do it for the right reasons. I wear Hijab and i love it!!!plus it keeps me in check and keeps my mind focused on the goal at hand, paradise!! :smile:

anyways if u got anymore questions, jus ask!

take care
ws
Reply 205
thnx for the quick reply :biggrin:
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo hijab is something every woman should wear? why? to stop men leering at them?

I resent the feeling that she should be expected to wear a hijab, as far as im aware the only mention in the Qu'ran is that both men and women should cover their modesty.

there is a lot of debate on this and on women generally in Islam ( read my previous posts on the roles of women in this thread) I myself feel that the previously patriarchal culture has managed to survive, recent Saudi elections women didnt get the vote? how did they justify this? really how did they ?

My opinion is wear Hijab if you feel comfortable not because other people tell you to, I think religion needs to be questioned and our attitudes and actions adjusted accordingly, for example the practise of slavery and of men having four wives is outdated and reflect a different time period.

Hijab is a great way of expressing identity, people automatically acknowledge ur religion and as a result you may get more respect, but only wear it if you believe its right otherwise its pointless
u dont need to wear a hijab to be a good muslim, to be a good muslim i believe u should follow the five pillars and respect people, the popular phrase "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated

Islam has no dress code, it is egalitarian in its stance even if the Muslim world isnt, dont be pressurised into believing u have to do X, Y and Z to be a good Muslim

people are extremely judgemental but in the end of the day does it really matter what they think in the end? u should be happy for who you are not what people expect , if you feel hijab is for you go for it, otherwise dont, and tell hypocrites who force there opionions on you to **** off ( :biggrin: in the politist possible way of course :wink: )
also on the issue of modesty men should cover up as well? i dont believe that women dont have "impure thoughts" so should men cover up as well to prevent women from lusting after them?

i dont agree with Islams attitude towards sex in general but thats a different discussion, but any comments about the dress code for men? i want to wear a hijab :wink:
Reply 209
bengal_tiger

as far as im aware the only mention in the Qu'ran is that both men and women should cover their modesty.

There are also many examples from the Sunnah that support the claim that wearing a hijab is a fard.

e.g.
Abu Dawood narrates that `Aishah said: "Asmaa' the daughter of Abu Bakr came to see the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) wearing a thin dress; so Allah's Messenger (PBUH) turned away from her and said: O Asmaa', once a woman reaches the age of menstruation, no part of her body should be seen but this-and he pointed to his face and hands."
bengal_tiger
u dont need to wear a hijab to be a good muslim, to be a good muslim i believe u should follow the five pillars and respect people, the popular phrase "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated

Islam has no dress code, it is egalitarian in its stance even if the Muslim world isnt, dont be pressurised into believing u have to do X, Y and Z to be a good Muslim

people are extremely judgemental but in the end of the day does it really matter what they think in the end? u should be happy for who you are not what people expect , if you feel hijab is for you go for it, otherwise dont, and tell hypocrites who force there opionions on you to **** off ( :biggrin: in the politist possible way of course :wink: )

bengal_tiger
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo hijab is something every woman should wear? why? to stop men leering at them?

I resent the feeling that she should be expected to wear a hijab, as far as im aware the only mention in the Qu'ran is that both men and women should cover their modesty.

there is a lot of debate on this and on women generally in Islam ( read my previous posts on the roles of women in this thread) I myself feel that the previously patriarchal culture has managed to survive, recent Saudi elections women didnt get the vote? how did they justify this? really how did they ?

My opinion is wear Hijab if you feel comfortable not because other people tell you to, I think religion needs to be questioned and our attitudes and actions adjusted accordingly, for example the practise of slavery and of men having four wives is outdated and reflect a different time period.

Hijab is a great way of expressing identity, people automatically acknowledge ur religion and as a result you may get more respect, but only wear it if you believe its right otherwise its pointless

I agree some good points made-I would also say that a hijab may represent modesty, which can be represented in many other ways and therfore the hijab is considered to be desirable but not obligitary. :smile:
Reply 211
bengal_tiger

As Salaamuailaikum

Please dont get culture and religion mixed up....in many cultures women are seen as lesser individuals then men, however in islam a womens staus is elevated and from the time of the prophet (pbuh) women have had the same and if not more rights then men. However in some many corrupt islamic countries women are denied rights such as the right to vote etc but do not beleive that this is due to islam because it is far from it.
as for hijab...yes both women and men are required to dress modestly in islam and for women one of those requirements is hijab, however as i mentioned b4 it is pointless wearing hijab if you do not beleive it is right or if you are forced to wear it.but to follow your religion, you should do it proudly and follow it completely not bit by bit and only follow the parts that u want to and decide that u dnt wnt to do the rest....nah mean?!?!
i aint tlkin bout anyone in particular so hope no1 gets offended, im jus saying generally!!!! :smile:

take care
Wa salaamz
Reply 212
Salaam Aleikum all
well as for me i do not really mind the Hijab, but i do not wear one though i know that i wil marry a muslim when the time comes and he said that it is not a must that i wear a hijab anyway...whats important is that he says that i look presentable and decent, because i love my hair and my hands too...they are beautiful...and he accepts me that way..
basically i think that you wear only during those days...you know...but what matters is whats in your heart.
Reply 213
bengal_tiger
also on the issue of modesty men should cover up as well? i dont believe that women dont have "impure thoughts" so should men cover up as well to prevent women from lusting after them?

i dont agree with Islams attitude towards sex in general but thats a different discussion, but any comments about the dress code for men? i want to wear a hijab :wink:

Brother, there are guidelines for men too, which are often overlooked, even ignored!! They do involve hijab, but not the head covering.

A Muslims man must: cover his body, from naval to the knee(as a minimum requirement), because this the minimum, it should not be taken to mean that he can walk around bare chested or however else he pleases. He shoudl wear loose clothing, not tight-fitting so as to reveal his shape or figure (the opposite has become so widespread among young Muslims and young people in general).

He should LOWER HIS GAZE, which is a commandment of Allah!
Then there is the beard which is Sunnah (mustahab - highly preferred) and even Wajib(a command) according to some Sheikhs. Then there are ettiquetes and manners in place for when a muslim man meets or talks with a non-mahrem female person(i.e. outside of the immediate family) and many more rules and advice.
u never answered the question though, how did the saudi's justify not giving women the vote and woment not being allowed to drive etc etc ?
Reply 215
bengal_tiger
u never answered the question though, how did the saudi's justify not giving women the vote and woment not being allowed to drive etc etc ?

Women and voting in Saudi is discussed at arabnews.com

The Saudis interpretation and implementation of shariah is not brilliant or flawless. The law prohibiting women from driving is considered by many as being an example of a misinterpretation or misapplication of shariah law.
Reply 216
Abbas6
Women and voting in Saudi is discussed at arabnews.com

The Saudis interpretation and implementation of shariah is not brilliant or flawless. The law prohibiting women from driving is considered by many as being an example of a misinterpretation or misapplication of shariah law.

yes, very true and too add to that, becos women dont drive or vote in saudi has noting to do with Islam and its views on women and women's rights, so dont confuse this or assume this.
Thanx
Wa Salaamz
Reply 217
hello, may I join this society please? :redface:
As-salaamu 'alaykum [peace be upon you all]

I'd like to join, too, inshaaAllaah [God Willing]. :biggrin:
yo yo people i wanna join as well

Latest