The Student Room Group
Reply 7720
Assalamun Aleykum sisters and brothers.

How was you're day :smile:

There's this question thats been bugging me for a long time. Every sunday's i go to this islamic meeting to learn about islam (how to read the quran, the prophets life, important dua's and certain topics)

Last week we were discussing marriage and the teacher said that men in islam were allowed to marry 4 wives. Now this really shocked me because the teacher continued saying that he could marry more than one woman even if his first way is against the whole idea. Shouldn't a marriage be based on trust and making decisions together AND equality.

I'm really confused about this. Can anyone explain why this is so. Much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Salams

Milli
4:3 But if ye fear that ye cannot do justice between orphans, then marry what seems good to you of women, by twos, or threes, or fours; and if ye fear that ye cannot be equitable, then only one, or what your right hands possess. That keeps you nearer to not being partial.

Before we can comment on this verse, we need to understand when and why it was revealed. According to my knowledge, this Surah was revealed after the Battle of Uhud, where quite a few muslim men where killed, leaving widowed women with children to fed for themselves. Back then, it was difficult for the women to support their families, and still is in many countries. So this surah was revealed encouraging men who were financially and physically capable of supporting widowed mothers to help them nurture their children.

The last part of the verse 'That keeps you nearer to not being partial.' indicates that it is discouraged because most men will not be completely impartial. This is further mentioned in verse 4:129. But if they believe they can, then it is only encouraged when it's for humanitarian incentive, such as assisting to support widowed women with children or elderly women who can't support themselves.

Assalaamu Alaikum everyone!
Reply 7722
Oh oh oh, mashallah, we have a female exegete in the house!
Wa Alaikum Salaam.

The idea of 4 wives came about, as Mizfissy sadi, through the idea of war. If a comrades was killed then his companion could take his widowed wife as his own and provide for her ie give her shelter, food and basically a home.

Of course there are conditions for this. He must treat them both equally and cannot marry just for lust. He must also be able to provide for both his wives...
Reply 7724
Is it sinful upon me if I marry two females, who happen to be blood-related (sisters for example)?
Is it sinful upon me if I marry two females, who happen to be blood-related (sisters for example)?

Assalaamu Alaikum guys!
Yes it is...at the same time anyway.
Reply 7726
rashid1988
Wa Alaikum Salaam.

The idea of 4 wives came about, as Mizfissy sadi, through the idea of war. If a comrades was killed then his companion could take his widowed wife as his own and provide for her ie give her shelter, food and basically a home.

Of course there are conditions for this. He must treat them both equally and cannot marry just for lust. He must also be able to provide for both his wives...

so can a man marry more than one wife at this time our life.
The majority of the u'lema agree on that it does...although there are conditions and restrictions.
Oh oh oh, mashallah, we have a female exegete in the house!

:p:
Reply 7729
hey salaam, is any1 here goin to warwick uni nxt yr?
Reply 7730
salams everyone

hope you are all ok

im so busy doing my art courswoerk
Reply 7731
rukayah
hey salaam, is any1 here goin to warwick uni nxt yr?

walaykum salam

not sue if anyones going. ill be in a2 next year. :smile:
Milli
so can a man marry more than one wife at this time our life.

Yes, i actually know a Mufti with two wives. Or i dont know him personally but i went for his talk and things... He's very much respected and a high authority of Islamic knowledge in SA.

Asslamu Alaikum Mizfissy and Dimez! How are you?
Reply 7733
salam brother reashid

how you doing?
rahmara
salam brother reashid

how you doing?

W/Salaams im good Alhamdulillah and u?
Reply 7735
doh.. i might b goin ther nxt yr n i rly wnt to make some gd muslim friends.. where do u live?
Reply 7736
rashid1988
W/Salaams im good Alhamdulillah and u?

alhamdulilah im ok. doing art couresowrk:smile:
Reply 7737
rukayah
doh.. i might b goin ther nxt yr n i rly wnt to make some gd muslim friends.. where do u live?

london sis

how about you?:smile:
Reply 7738
i live near bham, what r u studyin? do u know which unis u wna go to yet?
Reply 7739
rukayah
i live near bham, what r u studyin? do u know which unis u wna go to yet?

bham as in birmingham..:confused:

well im doing a levels in
art
ict
english literature
phiosphy
crtiical thinking

and yep fot of unis..still reseacrhin

how about you sis:smile: u in colege too

Latest