The Student Room Group
Salaams everyone :wavey:
inshallah you are al wel :biggrin:
Reply 15981
BlueAngel
lol, is it just me, or are the guys in this thread not real? Oh come on, even in an arranged marriage, any muslim guy would want to be with someone with pretty face, and if they look ugly in a scarf, I think it would put them off quite abit, unless they are from abroad and just marrying you to stay in the country and then **** off with a blonde. Ive met many muslim guys, and majority of them would prefer someone who doesnt wear a scarf, (although these days many girls wear them as a fashion accesory and slutty underneath), who doesnt work, so they can cook and clean for them and look after the kids. I was quite chocked that even my own brother said he wants a pretty muslim girl who isn't educated enough to want a full time career. Ive heard this from many mouths. My female cousins are sat there and waiting for some arranged marriage to happen,they are very beautiful good muslim girls,but no muslim guy wants them, because they have a full time career. They are depressed and lonely. Yet their parents would go extremely mad if they found their own bloke. God, I feel trapped because of being a muslim, not from doing the wrong things, I dont mean it in that away, I mean from finding a good guy, getting to know them and eventually get married. Culture has spoilt this. My Dad would murder me if he knew I had someone, even if he was muslim. grrrr I'm sorry but its all so wrong, arranged marriages are, and I know I'm gonna end up having one in few years time, and Its not going to stop me from having an affair :mad:

hmmm why with a blonde? :rolleyes:

You can still look beautiful with the hijab Blue Angel. :smile:....and who cares if a non muslim 'white' guy doesn't fancy you 'with' the hijab...i'm sure there are many muslim nice guys out there who'd prefer a muslim girl with the hijab.

About the education. Like i said, in my opinion, education is 'very' important. I don't agree with what your brother said. Marrying an uneducated muslim lady from abroad so she can slave around the house? :eek: I think first and foremost you should concentrate on your education and your religion ...guys come waaaaay after that :wink: .....

I also don't agree with arranged marriages.....but i believe you should have you're parents blessing when it comes to choosing the guy. You should take things like this into consideration: Is he a muslim? Is he respectable? Is he educated? Has he got a good background? Does he have a nice personality? Does he follow his religion properly?......and finally is he good looking? :p:

If he doesn't match any of the above criteria...then forget him :redface: No..i'm serious....it might be all lovey dovey now...but look into the future. Will he stick around? Will he be a good husband? Will you be able to recieve the respect you deserve? and what kind of influence would this guy have on your future children?

Forced marriages i don't agree with. Parents introducing their kids i don't mind.

Don't worry :smile: Inshallah everything will work out fine. Just have a little patience :smile:
Milli

You can still look beautiful with the hijab Blue Angel. :smile:....and who cares if a non muslim 'white' guy doesn't fancy you 'with' the hijab...i'm sure there are many muslim nice guys out there who'd prefer a muslim girl with the hijab.

About the education. Like i said, in my opinion, education is 'very' important. I don't agree with what your brother said. Marrying an uneducated muslim lady from abroad so she can slave around the house? :eek: I think first and foremost you should concentrate on your education and your religion ...guys come waaaaay after that :wink: .....

I also don't agree with arranged marriages.....but i believe you should have you're parents blessing when it comes to choosing the guy. You should take things like this into consideration: Is he a muslim? Is he respectable? Is he educated? Has he got a good background? Does he have a nice personality? Does he follow his religion properly?......and finally is he good looking? :p:

If he doesn't match any of the above criteria...then forget him :redface: No..i'm serious....it might be all lovey dovey now...but look into the future. Will he stick around? Will he be a good husband? Will you be able to recieve the respect you deserve? and what kind of influence would this guy have on your future children?

Forced marriages i don't agree with. Parents introducing their kids i don't mind.

Don't worry :smile: Inshallah everything will work out fine. Just have a little patience :smile:

:ditto: nicely put :wink:
Milli

Assalamu Alaikum, I was listening to those tapes and the speaker Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki comes to marriage. He says, that the appropriate action is if the man's character and practise of religion are good then those are the two main factors.

What do you mean by background? I'm not sure if i agree with that. If my uncle was a rapist and i was a dashing looking, well educated doctor/ haafiz al Qur'an whom you liked would you refuse simply because of my uncle's crime?

Where parents introduce kids is the 'modern' form of arranged marriage :smile: I wouldn't mind that at all.
Reply 15984
#2(Laika)
nah we're real....you see..beauty comes from within not just from a pretty face....and its all concealed under the scarf which is unveiled to only the womens husband...id love my wife to wear a scarf...i'd respect my wife more if she wears scarf than not......i really wish you all the best!

That's really nice :smile:
Reply 15985
BlueAngel
lol, is it just me, or are the guys in this thread not real? Oh come on, even in an arranged marriage, any muslim guy would want to be with someone with pretty face, and if they look ugly in a scarf, I think it would put them off quite abit, unless they are from abroad and just marrying you to stay in the country and then **** off with a blonde. Ive met many muslim guys, and majority of them would prefer someone who doesnt wear a scarf, (although these days many girls wear them as a fashion accesory and slutty underneath), who doesnt work, so they can cook and clean for them and look after the kids. I was quite chocked that even my own brother said he wants a pretty muslim girl who isn't educated enough to want a full time career. Ive heard this from many mouths. My female cousins are sat there and waiting for some arranged marriage to happen,they are very beautiful good muslim girls,but no muslim guy wants them, because they have a full time career. They are depressed and lonely. Yet their parents would go extremely mad if they found their own bloke. God, I feel trapped because of being a muslim, not from doing the wrong things, I dont mean it in that away, I mean from finding a good guy, getting to know them and eventually get married. Culture has spoilt this. My Dad would murder me if he knew I had someone, even if he was muslim. grrrr I'm sorry but its all so wrong, arranged marriages are, and I know I'm gonna end up having one in few years time, and Its not going to stop me from having an affair :mad:

you have a bad experience of men i guess. and as for the your brothers not wanting to marry women who have full time jobs i find that rather backward and very wrong. i would love it my wife was working, i prefer an educated woman. and as for arranged marriages everyone has there own views but for me i will have the final say on who it is! i mean my parents will mention names and girls but i will say who i prefer. your Parents think best for you and will not make a decision that will spoil your life, they know you best.

oh and as for for are we guys real? as bro laika said beauty comes from within and i think:

you dont love a woman because she is beautiful she is beautiful because you love her!
Reply 15986
The Green Manalishi
Assalamu Alaikum, I was listening to those tapes and the speaker Imam Anwar Al-Awlaki comes to marriage. He says, that the appropriate action is if the man's character and practise of religion are good then those are the two main factors.

What do you mean by background? I'm not sure if i agree with that. If my uncle was a rapist and i was a dashing looking, well educated doctor/ haafiz al Qur'an whom you liked would you refuse simply because of my uncle's crime?

Where parents introduce kids is the 'modern' form of arranged marriage :smile: I wouldn't mind that at all.

Background, as in the guys reputation. Has he had girlfriends before? and so on.....
Reply 15987
Milli

well put Milly!:smile: ...patience is definitely key....and rushing things is'nt good in the long run.
Reply 15988
Mortimer

you dont love a woman because she is beautiful she is beautiful because you love her!

i like that :biggrin:...you're a bit of a poet arent you mate lol
Milli
Background, as in the guys reputation. Has he had girlfriends before? and so on.....

Ah right, in which case i agree... I thought you meant lineage, which i think is another major flaw of culture in some places...

Btw... You once asked about how my parents got together by arranged marriage, it was like what you said... Parents introduce kids, they got to know each other, liked each other and got married... Been going strong for 18 years now MashaAllah :smile:
Reply 15990
#2(Laika)

well i do write the odd stuff! :redface: lol

by the way your and bro rashids advice was real good too!

o and btw i am from london, i went to revise before and didnt see you posted again. and as for you supporting the devils well anyone say anything they shall have me to answer to! :biggrin:
#2(Laika)

Yeah that line really is very true i think :smile: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and also what may be beautiful to me may not be beautiful to the next person and so on :p:
Reply 15992
The Green Manalishi
Ah right, in which case i agree... I thought you meant lineage, which i think is another major flaw of culture in some places...

Btw... You once asked about how my parents got together by arranged marriage, it was like what you said... Parents introduce kids, they got to know each other, liked each other and got married... Been going strong for 18 years now MashaAllah :smile:

i think the idea of parents of introducing there kids rather than forcing them is a really good compromise between the parents and kids...works both ways i guess.
Reply 15993
#2(Laika)
and the feeling also that your the only one who'll see the full beauty....its quite something :smile: .

yeah it does! i seem to respect women who wear headscarves even more!
Reply 15994
The Green Manalishi
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and also what may be beautiful to me may not be beautiful to the next person and so on :p:

Yeah, that's very true.
Mortimer
you have a bad experience of men i guess. and as for the your brothers not wanting to marry women who have full time jobs i find that rather backward and very wrong. i would love it my wife was working, i prefer an educated woman. and as for arranged marriages everyone has there own views but for me i will have the final say on who it is! i mean my parents will mention names and girls but i will say who i prefer. your Parents think best for you and will not make a decision that will spoil your life, they know you best.

oh and as for for are we guys real? as bro laika said beauty comes from within and i think:

depends on the family. This year Ive been to 2 family marriages, both of in which their parents introduced them to each other. I'm not saying my parents would say, you're marrying him,and thats that.Of course I would have a say. I would say yes or no. But that would be from one meetup, i.e. everyone around us and we've only spoken abit, how can you judge someone you're going to marry by talking to them for 5 mins :confused: Its either a yes or no, you cant say maybe. Then if its a yes, you're stuck. So really appearance is the first thing you see, and you'd be judging them on that.
So if the person was a muslim from a different culture would you stil marry them ?
Reply 15997
#2(Laika)
i think the idea of parents of introducing there kids rather than forcing them is a really good compromise between the parents and kids...works both ways i guess.

yeah! i mean peoples views on arranged marriage are quite shocking. maybe in eastern countries people are forced but here they are given choices and nothing is done without there consent. and as i said parents will not make a wrong decision for you.
#2(Laika)

Yes i also think so... I also think it's another way of meeting your potential wife/ husband. It's not so different to meeting through friends say, except that this is a more halaal environment where parents are around.

I don't think anyone should force anyone else into marriage.
Reply 15999
Mortimer
well i do write the odd stuff! :redface: lol

by the way your and bro rashids advice was real good too!

thanks dude!:smile:

Latest