The Student Room Group
mizfissy815
I only asked because there is a Muslim sect that only follow the Quran and disregard the ahadeeth completely. I just wanted get that clarified before continuing…

I know, i had this same argument with my uncle the other day, he disregards ALL Hadith as being "garbage" and thinks that Abu-Bakr and other Sahabah (RA) wrote the Hadith for financail gain :mad:
Reply 17341
mizfissy815
I have a request to ask from all of you.
My aunt passed away early this morning and I’m heading of to Somalia tomorrow evening InshAllah after my last exam.
If you guys could plz spare a time for a du’aa for her, I would be eternally grateful.
Could also make a du’aa for my Dad, to make this whole ordeal easier for him.
He isn’t taking this well and has been absolutely quiet since Fajr and I don’t blame him. My aunt (Allah yerhamha) was the one who raised my dad and his siblings after their parents passed away at young age. She sacrificed her education and life to give the best she could and get them out of the country for a better education and life.
If you could plz spare a couple of seconds for them, I’d be much obliged.

Thank you and Assalaamu Alaikum.

Of course sis. I am sorry for your loss .. take care Allah Hafiz.
asslamaklykum brother rashid and sister sabah

you ok?

:smile:
Juicy Fruit
Headscarves are important in societies where most men have not seen the hair of a non-mahram woman.

In societies where most men have seen the hair of non-mahram woman - and much more besides - it's not important.

Juicy Fruit
The thing is, I'm not 100% sure that the headscarf isn't necessary yet, which is why I wanted to discuss it here and get the opinions of other Muslims who could hopefully restore my belief in the need to wear it. I didn't come here to try and convince you all that it isn't necessary, I wanted someone to present some valid arguments. So far, that hasn't happened.

And thanks for the rep, you're right about the comment.

I definitely disagree. Taking the words of Agent Smith, who isn't a muslim and his viewpoint... The hijab is something of a show of chastity or a show of religious faith. It is such that automatically as a male i will probably look down or be cautious around a hijabi, out of respect for the girl. I do it with every girl, but in my heart it would probably be more evident for a hijabi.
I'm speaking now as a man, not of theology, so take my view as a practical working example.

You may say that the view is shallow, and that i would stare unashamedly at a non-hijabified woman/ not respect them. This, while being plausible, is not true as 1.) I wouldn't stare unashamedly :p: and 2.) The hijab (notice i didn't say headscarf) and mentality of it comands my respect itself.
Although my respect depends entirely on the person and mentality of said person.

I would argue the same thing about a beard. Out of some of the women who find a beard attractive, the vast majority i have had the opportunity of meeting definitely don't like it. In which case i would say it is just as much of a detterent towards being approached by the majority of women.

EDIT: Also, from a non-believers angle, i'm sure they would be less likely to 'hit on' a hijabi. Conclusively then, while the hijab may not completely detract male attention, it definitely helps or may serve to achieve it's purpose. Something is better than nothing :wink:
mizfissy815
I’ll have to ask my dad about that. The only meaning for the word Khamr I know of is alcohol.

I'll vouch for that. The 'khamr' i know of relates to alcohol. Also, from that Jamal Badawi talk i sometimes refer to, i think the word for 'To cover up' is 'kufr' or the arabic root K-F-R which is then extended to mean 'to reject'.

That said, i am no Arabic linguist and both Juicy Fruit's and Muhiba's knowledge of the language probably far outweighs mine :p:
Reply 17345
Wa Alaikum aSalaam sis rahmara.. i'm good .. yourself?

Lol i know of men who stare at hijabis its absolutely shameless! :mad: ... its really freaky too .. my hijabi friends find it absolutely disgusting ..
Juicy Fruit
By reading it and using your brain to figure out what it means. What's so difficult about that?

Personally i think it's important to read and understand the root/ derivatives of the rules and conditions of Islam, but sometimes we cannot solely base our view on the Qur'an alone. We have to consult history, to understand context. We have to consult Hadith, to understand any abrogations or special situations of use.
Hence, since we cannot fully achieve such levels of study but some of the scholars have, we should consult their opinions on matters which are more implicit.

While it is possible for someone to read and understand the Qur'an, some basic knowledge of Islamic principles is required. To fully understand the meaning of the Qur'an, would take more research imo.

That being said, Zara; you're pretty well read so this is more of a general note than a comment specifically to you :smile:
rename
Wa Alaikum aSalaam sis rahmara.. i'm good .. yourself?

Lol i know of men who stare at hijabis its absolutely shameless! :mad: ... its really freaky too .. my hijabi friends find it absolutely disgusting ..

alhamdulilah very good sis

*sneezes and rubs eyes*

alhamdulilah

ITS A DISGRACE :mad:

just give dirty looks back :biggrin: :mad:
rahmara

alhamdulilah

Assalamu Alaikum :smile:
Yarhamu K'Allah :p:
Boys will be boys :rolleyes: (read: That's sarcastic)
Reply 17349
rahmara

*sneezes and rubs eyes*

alhamdulilah

hehe of course ... last exam 2mro sis! :biggrin: :party:
The Green Manalishi
Assalamu Alaikum :smile:
Yarhamu K'Allah :p:
Boys will be boys :rolleyes: (read: That's sarcastic)

walaykum salam brother

yahdikimulahu wauslihum balakum

:toofunny:

yh, they always are

lol
rename
hehe of course ... last exam 2mro sis! :biggrin: :party:

oooh good good sis

whick exam?

good luck with it :smile:
rahmara

yh, they always are

:eek: Are you sure? :eek:
Or so we hope :p:
The Green Manalishi
:eek: Are you sure? :eek:
Or so we hope :p:

no, not reallly

:biggrin:

:rofl:
rahmara
no, not reallly

:biggrin:

:rofl:

Haha i was joking :p: Anyway my aunt just got here... Gonna be off for a few mins :smile: Assalamu Alaikum... Hope to be back soon InshaAllah.
Reply 17355
lol .. its english lit .. :biggrin: .. the synoptic .. 2 and a half hours and then its over ...

yh by the way .. if boys were not being boys i'd be a lil freaked out ... :rolleyes: well that said... most of the boys who go to my college are really feminine in some ways and forms .. its freaky .. and absolutely hilarious at the same time ..
The Green Manalishi
Haha i was joking :p: Anyway my aunt just got here... Gonna be off for a few mins :smile: Assalamu Alaikum... Hope to be back soon InshaAllah.

walaykum salam bro

ok then

i might be off soon aswelll

rename
lol .. its english lit .. :biggrin: .. the synoptic .. 2 and a half hours and then its over ...

yh by the way .. if boys were not being boys i'd be a lil freaked out ... :rolleyes: well that said... most of the boys who go to my college are really feminine in some ways and forms .. its freaky .. and absolutely hilarious at the same time ..

oooh

i love english lit

Reply 17358
pmed you back sis :smile: with my email addy .. if its not already on my profile .. i duno lol
rename
pmed you back sis :smile: with my email addy .. if its not already on my profile .. i duno lol

yh thanks sis

yep, its in your profile

just thought id ask you first if its ok

Latest