The Student Room Group

Is venison an expensive meat ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Revd. Mike
Do you eat othr meats?

No. It's wrong to kill and eat any animal, but I don't understand how someone can see an animal so incredibly perfect as a deer and want to murder him or her. I see cows and sheep as incredibly perfect too, but most people have become very anaesthetised to the murder of cows and sheep, whereas deer are more rare.
Reply 21
Syron
So the value of life is based on how beautiful and majestic something is? Following this to its logical conclusion, would you argue that it's morally better to kill ugly people than to kill pretty people? I find this a somewhat disturbing attitude.

My point is that, as explained above, people have become numbed to the slaughter of, for example, cows and sheep because it's so commonplace. It's completely wrong, but that's what it is, whereas I don't see how people can look at something as rare as a deer and want him or her dead and on their plate. Personally I don't see how anyone can feel that way about any other animal either, but sadly people don't seem to care about sheep, cows, pigs, chickens.

It's wrong to kill and eat any animal, but even with regards to people who do eat meat, most of them would find eating a deer disgusting.
Reply 22
Nom nom nom, Bambi taste good.
abc101
My point is that, as explained above, people have become numbed to the slaughter of, for example, cows and sheep because it's so commonplace. It's completely wrong, but that's what it is, whereas I don't see how people can look at something as rare as a deer and want him or her dead and on their plate. Personally I don't see how anyone can feel that way about any other animal either, but sadly people don't seem to care about sheep, cows, pigs, chickens.

It's wrong to kill and eat any animal, but even with regards to people who do eat meat, most of them would find eating a deer disgusting.

I felt you should know that I laughed out loud at the last sentence. And how you class a deer as a 'him or her'.

Actually, I laughed at your whole post. And the one before it for that matter.
Reply 24
i dont even know what venison is, lol..
Reply 25
Myoclonic Jerk
I felt you should know that I laughed out loud at the last sentence. And how you class a deer as a 'him or her'.

Actually, I laughed at your whole post. And the one before it for that matter.

Do you think that deer are hermaphrodites?
abc101
Do you think that deer are hermaphrodites?

Evidently so.
abc101
No. It's wrong to kill and eat any animal, but I don't understand how someone can see an animal so incredibly perfect as a deer and want to murder him or her. I see cows and sheep as incredibly perfect too, but most people have become very anaesthetised to the murder of cows and sheep, whereas deer are more rare.

You've just admitted that the only reason that you don't like the idea of people eating deer is because you aren't as used to it. You can't select which animals you think people should eat based on what they look like.
And please please please don't go through life being a preachy vegetarian - you give the rest of us veggies (who are happy to just not eat meat themselves without acting like we're better than anyone else) a bad name.
Reply 28
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
You've just admitted that the only reason that you don't like the idea of people eating deer is because you aren't as used to it. You can't select which animals you think people should eat based on what they look like.
And please please please don't go through life being a preachy vegetarian - you give the rest of us veggies (who are happy to just not eat meat themselves without acting like we're better than anyone else) a bad name.

That's like saying 'I'm happy not to kill anyone and not act as if I'm better than a murderer.'

And no, the reason I don't like people eating deer is because eating animals is completely immoral. I quite clearly stated I would expect even people who do eat animals would be appalled by the idea of eating deer, but that doesn't detract from the fact that eating any animal is wrong.
abc101
That's like saying 'I'm happy not to kill anyone and not act as if I'm better than a murderer.'

And no, the reason I don't like people eating deer is because eating animals is completely immoral. I quite clearly stated I would expect even people who do eat animals would be appalled by the idea of eating deer, but that doesn't detract from the fact that eating any animal is wrong.

It's not really like that, no.
Animals eat other animals, so why shouldn't people eat other animals.
So really, if you want to have issues with meat, then argue against the inhumane ways it can be farmed or killed, not just against the fact that other people eat meat.

You made it sound like eating deer is worse than eating other animals, rather than being equal. If you think they're all just as bad, then fair enough - I just thought the idea that venison is worse than chicken/beef/pork etc was silly, but if that's not what you meant then fair play :smile:
tbh, venison is one of the more ethical meats. it roams around a hillside, grows up, has a decent life as nature intended until some bloke pops one through it's head while said deer is unawares. far better than most intensively reared meat, if we want to get all ethical.

bambi is delicious :yep:
abc101

Anthropomorphisisation ftw. Way to go! :yy:

Deer aren't rare, they are culled to prevent over-growth of the population and disease. And I don't know why you're ranting on about deer, what about chickens and the like who never see the light of day before they are killed? :rolleyes:

^^ :yes: Lodz
Reply 32
abc101
...whereas I don't see how people can look at something as rare as a deer and want him or her dead and on their plate. Personally I don't see how anyone can feel that way about any other animal either, but sadly people don't seem to care about sheep, cows, pigs, chickens.

Deer are not rare, that's why they're culled.

As for your last statement...provide a source for this 'information' or stop making wild assumptions.
Reply 33
Not expensive if man go to forest :smile:
just bought venison for 7 pounds for the first time lol
I didn't see the price when I already paid XD
it's so good, too bad it's expensive

Quick Reply

Latest