The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
sherrybaby
You could try using one of the many books which are available. I used 'How to pass the civil service qualifying tests'.

It gets mixed reviews on here, but I genuinely believe it's the reason I passed the numerical reasoning test, because it gave me some examples to get my brain in the right gear before doing the actual tests. No need to buy it, it'll be in your uni/local library.

Alternatively, some find practise tests online, but I never had much luck finding any decent ones. But perhaps try the websites of other grad schemes.

Cheers, I really am terrible at numerical things like this. Do you know if top 15% is good for verbal reasoning.
Reply 81
minelli
Cheers, I really am terrible at numerical things like this. Do you know if top 15% is good for verbal reasoning.

If you need to ask that, you really do need help with numerical reasoning.

Yes, it's good.
Reply 82
sherrybaby
If you need to ask that, you really do need help with numerical reasoning.

Yes, it's good.

I just didn't know whether it was classed as good for the civil service some places want you to be in top 10% or even top 5%
Reply 83
Sorry for all of the questions here but.The diplomatic service would be my first choice, I have however heard it is ridiculously competetive and if I put central departments down as second choice I probably would not get a place over the people who have it as first choice. Is the faststream the only way of working in a diplomatic post?
Reply 84
minelli
Sorry for all of the questions here but.The diplomatic service would be my first choice, I have however heard it is ridiculously competetive and if I put central departments down as second choice I probably would not get a place over the people who have it as first choice. Is the faststream the only way of working in a diplomatic post?

It makes no difference whether you put down central departments as your first or second (or third or fourth) choice. If you want to work for the diplomatic service, put it as your first choice.

No the fast stream is not the only way of working for the diplomatic service, just as it is not the only way of working for a central department. Try the civil service recruitment gateway website as a starting point.
Reply 85
minelli

Well since you've read the fast stream recruitment report for 2008 so know the pass rate at this stage then, you can make your own judgement call on whether or not it will be good enough for the 2010 competition.
Took my online tests yesterday, pretty confident for the verbal and numerical tests because all the practice ones went well - I even got 15/15 on the numerical, which is surprising because my maths is generally shocking! But I really think I screwed up that competency questionnaire, I put a lot of "strongly agrees" and from last year's thread it looks like that's a really bad idea. What a stupid way to fail! Could not be more annoyed at myself.
Reply 87
aagh! just completed the tests. i think the numerical and verbal were ok, but I hated filling in that competency thing. i felt i had to admit to faults I don't have!! did anyone else feel the same?
Reply 88
Popa Dom
and decided to just go for consistency

Why didn't you just answer them as you read them? :s-smilie:
Reply 89
I don't think that was a stupid thing to do, but then who knows what they want? You either had to keep going for consistency and thus seem really terrible at something you're probably only slightly deficient in, or be inconsistent. I opted slightly mroe for the latter, as I really am not an absolute inconsiderate bitch, or a dosser, or a social reject. I guess we can't change anything now anyway and I can rest assured that part-bitch part-dosser that I am, I'm probably not quite as bad at maths and verbal as 85% of the applicants.. maybe that will make up for my personality deficit?
Reply 90
Done the first of the self-tests, and got my "better than x %" feedback. Do you get this for the second practice tests and for the real one?
Reply 91
jonnyfan
Done the first of the self-tests, and got my "better than x %" feedback. Do you get this for the second practice tests and for the real one?

nope
Reply 92
lipia
I don't think that was a stupid thing to do, but then who knows what they want?

Well the answer to that is actually surprisingly simple, and will be the same for whatever graduate scheme you go for, and most jobs for that matter. They're looking for people that best-match the stated aims and purposes of the organisation in question.

Now I know the Civil Service Faststream ones are online somewhere, and I'm sure that when I've got the time to do my tests this year I'll try to find them (that's likely to be Novemeber or Decemeber). But until then I'm sure trawling the civil service website should throw up the answer.
Reply 93
Fast Stream core competencies: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/...petencies.aspx
... flexibility, thinking innovatively, etc.

When you're doing the competency test I wouldn't try and follow what they say on there though (you'll end up stressing about it far too much), just answer what you feel is right.
Reply 94
KEBE
just answer what you feel is right.

The only advise worth listening to.
If you try and overthink it you'll muck it up.
Reply 95
Is anyone else applying for Teach First and deferred Fast Stream option? I am, although I don't see that it confers any particular advantage.
Reply 96
redalert
Is anyone else applying for Teach First and deferred Fast Stream option? I am, although I don't see that it confers any particular advantage.

I've considered it as an option, and have started the registration process with Teach First. The simple reason being that since I am the primary carer for our two daughters, teaching may have hours more compatable with dropping them off and picking them up from nursery, etc...

However conversely I know that learning to teach 'on the job' is very hard work indeed, and probably not something that you'd want to do whilst you've got pre-school kids of your own. Well, not unless you like being constantly exhausted and with even less of a social life than you would otherwise have...

So, combine that with needing to get started on a pension ASAP (I'm 31), I'm probably going to give it a miss. I might reconsider if I don't get through this year though, as with one of them starting school in September 2011 I might have a bit more time on my hands to go through the application process, never mind do the job if I got it...
15/15 on numerical, 21/32 on verbal....

have to practice verbal before the real thing then...
http://www.wherewomenwanttowork.com/top50/top50_2009.asp - note which was the only department of state to make it on there...
Reply 99
Prince Rhyus
http://www.wherewomenwanttowork.com/top50/top50_2009.asp - note which was the only department of state to make it on there...

Interesting JCP has 6,600 staff... I thought that figure was somewhat hight :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending