The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Prince Rhyus
http://www.wherewomenwanttowork.com/top50/top50_2009.asp - note which was the only department of state to make it on there...

The one you work in. The net is getting tighter and tighter by the day you know :wink:
Reply 101
aaaahhh just did the online tests! the waiting begins! really not sure how it went. There were a few things I was uncertain about - I put 'can't say' for a whole section on the verbal for example and think I got a couple of numerical wrong...tried to be consistent on the competencies but did find that my inclination was to agree with most statements so who knows. good luck to everyone else doing them.
Stomm
The one you work in.

"I'm glad you think so..." :biggrin:
Reply 103
Just got a quick question...

For those applying to FCO, lets say for example you end up getting a place there (and yes it is a very big if), to what extent would you have to change any particular views you have regarding issues which affect the FCO.

Say for example you passionately believe in certain views which may go against the grain of British foreign policy and could prove contentious..

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is the Foreign Office receptive to people who have a different slant on matters or are they looking for people to "toe the line" so to speak.
TiBFS
Interesting JCP has 6,600 staff... I thought that figure was somewhat hight :smile:

Really? I'm sure it must be far, far higher than that. Aren't there over 100,000 people working for DWP in total?
Prince Rhyus

"I'm glad you think so..." :biggrin:

Have you moved then?
Reply 106
redalert
aaaahhh just did the online tests! the waiting begins! really not sure how it went. There were a few things I was uncertain about - I put 'can't say' for a whole section on the verbal for example and think I got a couple of numerical wrong...tried to be consistent on the competencies but did find that my inclination was to agree with most statements so who knows. good luck to everyone else doing them.

The whole point of the verbal reasoning is that you can only use the evidence that they present you with. Therefore if the passage only goes on about the price of fish, and there is a question on whether fish stocks in EU waters are being over-fished, if there is nothing in there about over-fishing, then you really cannot say...

Anyway, it's always the numerical reasoning I have trouble with, largely I guess because I did my GCSE maths over fifteen years ago now...
moley
Have you moved then?

No - though I've been wandering around like a free range gorilla in my department doing short projects while trying to find a new home. The last reshuffle led to the torpedoing of most of the projects I was working on - taking my post down with the ship those projects were sailing in.

Spent the past few months doing some really interesting short projects as well as delivering some training & coaching sessions on things covering stuff such as procurement, finance and a variety of IT programmes. So I seem to be in lots of people's good books. :smile:

It comes to an end next week though - I've found a new home within my current department (which I'm still not going to mention :zorro: ) .
Reply 108
Badwa
Just got a quick question...

For those applying to FCO, lets say for example you end up getting a place there (and yes it is a very big if), to what extent would you have to change any particular views you have regarding issues which affect the FCO.

Say for example you passionately believe in certain views which may go against the grain of British foreign policy and could prove contentious..

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is the Foreign Office receptive to people who have a different slant on matters or are they looking for people to "toe the line" so to speak.

Did you have any particular policies in mind?

While working in any government department, you can have your own views - even if they disagree with current government policy - and depending on your role, can even argue internally for policies to be changed or implemented differently. Most departments appreciate having a wide range of views/opinions/experience on which to develop experience from.

However, in public/while performing your official duties, you would be expected to represent/implement the current official policy.

Its probably fair to say that in the FCO, policy tends to change much more slowly than in other departments because of the issues they deal in - even when governments change, most foreign policy usually stays the same (though after the next election this might be different on some big areas such as Europe if the Conservatives win )
Reply 109
When is the deadline for applications?
Reply 110
v_ster
When is the deadline for applications?

The date clearly stated on the Fast Stream website and on the 1st post of this thread...

You're todays Captain Fail.
Reply 111
Thanks for the reply.

Let me give you a hypothetical example:

Ok a contentious foreign policy example would be Israel Palestine. Say for example I am someone who is more understanding on the Palestinian cause and not so much of a fan of what Israel does and the way it carries itself out. Is there scope within the FCO for someone like me, or is it a case that the department is after people to "toe the line" both within the FCO and on its public face.

I'm not sure that I would be overly comfortable in having to give up some of my opinions and beliefs. For me the best case scenario with this would be that the FCO actively encourages this form of debate within its walls...

Or maybe I'm just a bit of an optimist :P

gt94sss2
Did you have any particular policies in mind?

While working in any government department, you can have your own views - even if they disagree with current government policy - and depending on your role, can even argue internally for policies to be changed or implemented differently. Most departments appreciate having a wide range of views/opinions/experience on which to develop experience from.

However, in public/while performing your official duties, you would be expected to represent/implement the current official policy.

Its probably fair to say that in the FCO, policy tends to change much more slowly than in other departments because of the issues they deal in - even when governments change, most foreign policy usually stays the same (though after the next election this might be different on some big areas such as Europe if the Conservatives win )
redalert
Is anyone else applying for Teach First and deferred Fast Stream option? I am, although I don't see that it confers any particular advantage.

I have! I have a Teach First Assessment Centre in November and did my Fast Stream Tests last week - have been checking the website compulsively ever since! I see from last year's thread that the immediately successful/unsuccessful marks had been set by this time last year...I know it's silly to be frustrated by the wait as we all know it's an incredibly lengthy process, but I still am!
Reply 113
TiBFS
The date clearly stated on the Fast Stream website and on the 1st post of this thread...

You're todays Captain Fail.

Captain Fail - that's neither clever nor funny
Reply 114
sugarplumc
I have! I have a Teach First Assessment Centre in November and did my Fast Stream Tests last week - have been checking the website compulsively ever since! I see from last year's thread that the immediately successful/unsuccessful marks had been set by this time last year...I know it's silly to be frustrated by the wait as we all know it's an incredibly lengthy process, but I still am!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who checked last years date! I was starting to feel crazy!
Reply 115
As an aside, with all the mess that MP's are getting themselves into with their dodgy expenses claims. I'm actually half considering changing my mind about not applying for the HoC/HoL clerkships this year. I think that it might be an interesting year or two working in the HoP.... :wink:
Reply 116
Wow it's going to be a long year if you're already compulsively checking the website. As you can't do anything to prepare for the next section just try and ignore it- pretend you haven't applied, or assume you haven't got through. That'll make you concentrate on applying elsewhere as well which could even help you with the later stages of the FS process if you get through (so win win).

If you ticked the right box and they're still doing this, you should get a text message when your results are out.
Reply 117
Badwa
Thanks for the reply.

Let me give you a hypothetical example:

Ok a contentious foreign policy example would be Israel Palestine. Say for example I am someone who is more understanding on the Palestinian cause and not so much of a fan of what Israel does and the way it carries itself out. Is there scope within the FCO for someone like me, or is it a case that the department is after people to "toe the line" both within the FCO and on its public face.

I'm not sure that I would be overly comfortable in having to give up some of my opinions and beliefs. For me the best case scenario with this would be that the FCO actively encourages this form of debate within its walls...

Or maybe I'm just a bit of an optimist :P

I think it depends on how you'd express your differing views. Think about it; in a professional apolitical environment (the civil service is by necessity apolitical), it's hardly appropriate for you to voice your contrary opinions. You would be there to consider intelligence, support politicians (depending on your position) and help make evidence based proposals on what government policy should be. If your proposals are just based on your own moral subjectivities....indubitably you'd never get to such a position in the first place.

An angle may already be provided by a minister and cascaded down, in which case your own views might be opposed to this, and therefore you'd have to work within the parametres of the said angle. Or, one of the mechanisms of developing government policy is to consult significantly with professional members of staff, and therefore you'd have an opportunity to influence the way things develop.

On balance, if this would be a major problem for you, I'd say consider a career in politics instead.
Ooh!

Work has been ON THE TELLY for two nights in a row!

How cool is that?

(Warning: Working in the civil service may involve working in areas that are of interest to television broadcasters, newspaper publishers and other multi-media organisations).
Reply 119
Prince Rhyus
(Warning: Working in the civil service may involve working in areas that are of interest to television broadcasters, newspaper publishers and other multi-media organisations).

My father was asked to brief a journalist once, who got nothing out of the interview despite my father being as open and honest as he could. The reason for this is that the journalist just couldn't understand the complex technical details of whatever rail finance issue it was that he was trying to find out, IIRC I could have had something to do with the failure of Railtrack...

Anyway, isn't that all part of the reason why you'd want to work in the Civil Service anwyay? In that you want to do something that 'really matters'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending