Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryuusei18)
    But the college stipulates that I only do 3SL and 3HL subjects. Thanks for your suggestion, by the way - if I had the choice, I'd do it
    i agree with logiadoevus but since u dont have a choice to do 4 hl's, heres my advice:
    if ur good at math, and i mean real good, and u can definitely manage ur time during ib and keep procrastination to a minimum, definitely choose math hl cz it will contribute more towards ur future since you want a biomedical related career.. otherwise go with english hl if u like analyzing texts and u are good in going into very deep analysis.
    gd luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeyurttaser13)
    i agree with logiadoevus but since u dont have a choice to do 4 hl's, heres my advice:
    if ur good at math, and i mean real good, and u can definitely manage ur time during ib and keep procrastination to a minimum, definitely choose math hl cz it will contribute more towards ur future since you want a biomedical related career.. otherwise go with english hl if u like analyzing texts and u are good in going into very deep analysis.
    gd luck anyway
    Thanks for that I'm not sure I could keep procrastination to a minimum, though. Perhaps English HL/Maths SL it would be.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I want to study medicine later one and having a bit trouble understanding the IB system here in Sweden. This is what I can choose from:

Group 1 Language A: English A, Swedish A, Danish A, Self-taught A (SL)

Group 2 Language B: English B, Swedish B, French B, German B, Spanish B

Group 3 Individuals and Societies: Business and Management, Economics, History, Psychology

Group 4 Experimental Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies

Group 5 Mathematics: Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Mathematical Studies SL

Group 6 Electives: Film or Theatre or an additional subject from group 2, 3 or 4

Is this going to be possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBarn)
    Hey guys! I want to study medicine later one and having a bit trouble understanding the IB system here in Sweden. This is what I can choose from:

Group 3 Individuals and Societies: Business and Management, Economics, History, Psychology

Group 4 Experimental Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies

Group 6 Electives: Film or Theatre or an additional subject from group 2, 3 or 4

It is theoretically possible, but you'd have to get a special permission from the IB, explaining why you want to do three sciences and skip a group 3 subject - this is allowed only if you can prove why you actually are required to do all three, e.g. if you want to go to a university that requires all three sciences. Otherwise, you'd have to take a group 3 subject as well.

Your other option is, if you'd so wish (it'd be difficult but a classmate of mine did it and was fine), that you could also just take a group 3 subject and the 3 sciences (thus doing 7 subjects) - in this case you would not need the special permission, but would need a lot of determination.

That said, taking 3 sciences anyway would require a lot of determination - but it's been done and I trust you'd do great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logiadoevus)
    It is theoretically possible, but you'd have to get a special permission from the IB, explaining why you want to do three sciences and skip a group 3 subject - this is allowed only if you can prove why you actually are required to do all three, e.g. if you want to go to a university that requires all three sciences. Otherwise, you'd have to take a group 3 subject as well.

Your other option is, if you'd so wish (it'd be difficult but a classmate of mine did it and was fine), that you could also just take a group 3 subject and the 3 sciences (thus doing 7 subjects) - in this case you would not need the special permission, but would need a lot of determination.

That said, taking 3 sciences anyway would require a lot of determination - but it's been done and I trust you'd do great!
    Thank you for the reply! This is what it says on the school website;
    "One subject must be chosen from each of the groups shown above. For students wanting to study medicine or dentistry it is possible to study three sciences and leave out a group 3 subject."

You can check out the link if you'd like! http://www.ib.malmoborgarskola.se/ib...lum/page/4/79/

Also, if I choose to do seven subjects, how does the mark system work? You only get grades for 6 subjects, right? (6*7=42+3 for TOK and EE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBarn)
    Thank you for the reply! This is what it says on the school website;
    "One subject must be chosen from each of the groups shown above. For students wanting to study medicine or dentistry it is possible to study three sciences and leave out a group 3 subject."

You can check out the link if you'd like! http://www.ib.malmoborgarskola.se/ib...lum/page/4/79/
    Well in that case I guess the school is able to arrange the 3 subjects to be studied - ie. they can get the permission I described. So you should be fine! Woo!

Also, if I choose to do seven subjects, how does the mark system work? You only get grades for 6 subjects, right? (6*7=42+3 for TOK and EE)
    If you do 7 subjects, you choose which 6 go on your diploma and which one will be issued as an 'extra certificate' (you choose before taking the exams) - thus, I, for example, write my score as 41+7 (as I got 41 in my diploma subjects and 7 in the extra subject). In practice, however, it does not matter much which subjects are on the diploma and which are not as universities will take into account all your results.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm a Year 2 IB (almost done ) and I'm free for the bombardment of questions regarding ANYTHING about IB

I've created a website/blog where you guys can ask questions, and I've also included on it some of my major IB assignments so you guys can see what they look like/have some guidelines (IAs, EE, TOK etc.)

http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/
    ^So You Think You Want To IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by windsongs4)
    Hey guys, I'm a Year 2 IB (almost done ) and I'm free for the bombardment of questions regarding ANYTHING about IB

I've created a website/blog where you guys can ask questions, and I've also included on it some of my major IB assignments so you guys can see what they look like/have some guidelines (IAs, EE, TOK etc.)

http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/
    ^So You Think You Want To IB
    I'd remove the assignments for some extra 6 months or so, just in case. Never know what might happen, and you don't want plagiarism of any kind to be linked to any of your work, ever - and putting stuff on internet so soon is asking for it.

ReputationRep:
    So I've chosen the following subjects for the IB:

English Literature HL
    Philosophy HL
    History HL
    Maths SL
    Physics SL
    German B SL

I'm ideally wanting to go into TV presenting but I'd like to do a history-related degree, and I'm thinking of upgrading German to HL and English to SL as my Hl options don't seem varied enough - is this true or shall i stick to my original plan? I'm also aiming for Oxford uni and so I've taken maths SL instead of maths studies; i'm predicted A* at GCSE and I don't think I'll have great problems understanding it at IB, but is it really worth it keeping it at standard when my degree is completely unrelated? But if I do Maths Studies will it decrease my chances at getting into Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    My friend applied to Cambridge to do history with maths studies and do't think they like it, especially if you can get an A* at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBarn)

Think psychology would be more useful than physics for medicine to be completely honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tainninho)
    So I've chosen the following subjects for the IB:

English Literature HL
    Philosophy HL
    History HL
    Maths SL
    Physics SL
    German B SL

I'm ideally wanting to go into TV presenting but I'd like to do a history-related degree, and I'm thinking of upgrading German to HL and English to SL as my Hl options don't seem varied enough - is this true or shall i stick to my original plan? I'm also aiming for Oxford uni and so I've taken maths SL instead of maths studies; i'm predicted A* at GCSE and I don't think I'll have great problems understanding it at IB, but is it really worth it keeping it at standard when my degree is completely unrelated? But if I do Maths Studies will it decrease my chances at getting into Oxford?
    How about dropping philosophy down to SL and replacing it with German? I think it's probably a slightly 'softer' subject than English. Saying that, you need to bear in mind that a standard Oxford offer is 776/766 at HL, so go for the subjects that would maximise your chances at getting that! HL English isn't really any harder than SL; it's one more piece of coursework, a few more books for the IOC and one more for the exam. Contrastingly, HL languages B is quite a jump up from SL, though if you enjoy discursive essays, you may find that the HL style suits you more (I started off doing SL English and French B and now do both HL). I'd definitely avoid maths studies if you want to try for Oxford, you need everything going for you that you can!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I need to submit my options soon for my IB subjects and so far this I'm stuck between Math and History (which levels I should leave the two)

HL
    Physics
    Math or History
    English A1

SL
    Computer Science
    Math or History
    Spanish A1

I heard HL Math is really difficult but I'm willing to dedicate myself a lot since I want to get into Engineering or Physics in University, and I heard HL Maths is very beneficial. The problem is I got a B for my IGCSE Maths. Would I be putting myself through hell by choosing HL even with lots of dedication and studying? I personally prefer Math over History but from all the things I've heard about the horror of HL Maths, I'm not sure what to choose...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.anez)
    Hey guys I need to submit my options soon for my IB subjects and so far this I'm stuck between Math and History (which levels I should leave the two)

HL
    Physics
    Math or History
    English A1

SL
    Computer Science
    Math or History
    Spanish A1

I heard HL Math is really difficult but I'm willing to dedicate myself a lot since I want to get into Engineering or Physics in University, and I heard HL Maths is very beneficial. The problem is I got a B for my IGCSE Maths. Would I be putting myself through hell by choosing HL even with lots of dedication and studying? I personally prefer Math over History but from all the things I've heard about the horror of HL Maths, I'm not sure what to choose...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    If you want to do Engineering or Physics at university, Maths at HL is the most important thing - more important than physics at HL even, though you really need both - most good universities have both at HL as specific requirement. If you approach the subject correctly and focus on understanding the syllabus and practice exercises, you'll be totally fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Engineering or Physics at university, Maths at HL is the most important thing - more important than physics at HL even, though you really need both - most good universities have both at HL as specific requirement. If you approach the subject correctly and focus on understanding the syllabus and practice exercises, you'll be totally fine.
    Yeah I've been told how important Math is for Engineering and/or Physics but I thought a B in the IGCE would just make Math HL a living hell. Maybe it will but I guess I'll just have to work my a** off. Also, what grades (for Math and Physics) are "good enough" for good universities such as let's say Waterloo, Cambridge, Oxford, etc? (In terms of Engineering and Physics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.anez)
    Yeah I've been told how important Math is for Engineering and/or Physics but I thought a B in the IGCE would just make Math HL a living hell. Maybe it will but I guess I'll just have to work my a** off. Also, what grades (for Math and Physics) are "good enough" for good universities such as let's say Waterloo, Cambridge, Oxford, etc? (In terms of Engineering and Physics)
    Oxbridge will need 7s in both Maths and Physics pretty much guaranteed. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe a 6 and a 7 if you ace the entrance test and other circumstances work in your favour.

Point is though, if you find maths incredibly difficult, studying Physics at university might not be for you, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge will need 7s in both Maths and Physics pretty much guaranteed. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe a 6 and a 7 if you ace the entrance test and other circumstances work in your favour.

Point is though, if you find maths incredibly difficult, studying Physics at university might not be for you, if that makes sense?
    Ok thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    i would say drop the math hl because you wont have the time to work your butt off. believe me! you have six subjects to take care of and you have to prioritize. and if you're always gnna prioritize math you'll not get as high in the other subs.
    and if your thinking of going into a medical field i highly suggest you take phys and drop the hist.because hist wont help you later on...in that field
    i myself am taking the three sciences and im thinking of pursuing medicine too. but you should sleep on it and think of taking the three sciences even though you will be mind raped on a daily basis but its been a year so far and im still alive and if i can do it then so can you.
    oh and english A1 hl is so far amazing! i absolutely love it good luck choosing and i hope you do what you like best and what is most beneficial for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i need a little help with my subject choices hoping to do an economics related course such as Financial or business economics at preferably an american uni like UCLA
    My subject choices are:
    Econ HL
    Business studies HL
    Biology HL
    English literature SL
    Spanish ab initio
    Maths SL
    Do i need to make any changes? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joker :P)
    Hi guys i need a little help with my subject choices hoping to do an economics related course such as Financial or business economics at preferably an american uni like UCLA
    My subject choices are:
    Econ HL
    Business studies HL
    Biology HL
    English literature SL
    Spanish ab initio
    Maths SL
    Do i need to make any changes? Thanks
    If you want to do Economics at uni, maths HL is either (1) strongly recommended, if you go to US, or (2) pretty much required if you go to UK. Change B&M and Maths around - if you think you can't handle maths at HL, then reconsider if you want to do economics, as it's very much maths-focused in uni.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.